PDA

View Full Version : Mario 128 is coming our way!

Klungo
19th June 2005, 08:59 PM
It has been officially annouced that super mario 128 will be released as a Revolution launch title. For more ionfo go to http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/16/news_6127632.html?tag=lastword_all_headline

R Hunter
19th June 2005, 09:05 PM
It's about time! And it's good to know that Nintendo's thinking up a new 3D Mario game. Sunshine was great but we all could do with something new.

Mumbo Dumbo
20th June 2005, 03:13 AM
awesome! a new mario game!

Gruntling
20th June 2005, 06:40 AM
That's fantastic news, but hopefully we won't have to wait terribly long. If it's released in 2006, it'll be 10 years for the sequel to SM64. One can only dream that it'll "revolutionize" the industry like it's predecessor did.

Grey Jinjo
20th June 2005, 04:28 PM
This is slightly off topic... but who else doesn't think this controller is going to be that "revolutionary"? Just me?

Gruntling
20th June 2005, 04:41 PM
This is slightly off topic... but who else doesn't think this controller is going to be that "revolutionary"? Just me?

I think there's too much hype for it -- a problem in itself. A lot of people are probably expecting this wild and amazing thing, but when the controller or the revolutionary factor of the Revolution is finally unveiled, they'll be letdown by their own rampant ideas... I myself think the controller sounds too good to be true -- afterall didn't Mr. Iwata state that it already employs existing technology? Nintendo might have overstated the Revolution when they announced it.

Banjo-Fella
20th June 2005, 05:47 PM
afterall didn't Mr. Iwata state that it already employs existing technology? Nintendo might have overstated the Revolution when they announced it.

Is there time for Nintendo to change tack and rename it the Nintendo More-of-the-same, though? I'm sure Shigsy has some trick up his sleeve concerning the controller, especially since he's keeping things under wraps so much - but he has a tendency to get carried away - a la the whole GBA/GC connectivity thing, which Nintendo thought was a revolution in itself, but most people couldn't be arsed with.

Gaming Master2k
20th June 2005, 11:03 PM
It would have to be pretty revolutionary to live up to the hype, and I think Nintendo has the creativity to make it live up to the hype however I don't think they are going to.

Gold Jinjo
21st June 2005, 12:24 AM

It's basically going to be like what they said about the Nintendo DS -- it's a new way to play games using existing technology. Now they didn't exactly call the DS revolutionary... it's been more of a gadget with games like Nintendogs and Electroplankton... so who knows, maybe the controller is going to be too gadgety allowing only similar types of games.

But at least they're trying something. They could be like Microsoft and Sony and just make the same old console, only newer.

Who knows. When this all comes out, we could all be playing the new Smash Bros wondering how the hell we ever played the previous two without... whatever it is ;)

R Hunter
21st June 2005, 01:08 AM
Quick off-topic question. If Nintendo decided to add some new fighters to the SSB roster who would you like added? I think Knuckles from the STH series fits the bill nicely.

Andre
21st June 2005, 01:09 AM
Check out my blog for what I think is the coolest Revolution prototype. Very original and cool.

OmegaPirate
21st June 2005, 08:02 AM
The power glove is existing tech so what IF we get to use 2 (one for each hand) "updated for the 21th century" Power Gloves! aawooo! "The Power Glove it's so bad!"

Kyoshiro1217
21st June 2005, 02:00 PM
It has been officially annouced that super mario 128 will be released as a Revolution launch title. For more ionfo go to http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/16/news_6127632.html?tag=lastword_all_headline

SWEET! Mario Sunshine was starting to get boring :p no...just kidding...i will always love that game...i can't wait till this game comes out! :) ;) :D

Klungo
21st June 2005, 09:24 PM
From what I think, the Revolutionalry controller will be a gamecube controller with bop-it type stuff sticking out.

RareBK
22nd June 2005, 12:48 PM
It wont be so cool... Its a puzzle game :(

Zy0n7
22nd June 2005, 02:34 PM
Quick off-topic question. If Nintendo decided to add some new fighters to the SSB roster who would you like added? I think Knuckles from the STH series fits the bill nicely.
Knuckles? in a nintendo game? oh well, that'd be really cool :cool: (add then more like lloyd irving, billy hatcher (:P), viewtiful joe, banjo, & any other character that rocks :p )

about the controller, I'm pretty sure it'll be like: a temperature control system, the controller will become hot or cold depending on the game situation+pression sensitive buttons (like the L&R already existent in the GC controller)+wireless+maybe w/o joystick (using in it's place a small touch-sensitive surface to put the finger on, like the square the laptops have in order to let you move the cursor)+rumble of course+configurable buttons (for example, make the A button act like the B button and vicebersa)+who knows, maybe a integrated micro? :cool:

Kyoshiro1217
23rd June 2005, 12:30 AM

oh...well than that sucks. I thought it was something different... :(

but oh well, i just wanna try it out...i probly wont like it but oh well

Grey Jinjo
23rd June 2005, 05:09 AM
I think a revolutionary controller would have a screen the size of a GBA screen give or take. Grant, it'd be huge and somewhat uncomfortable to play with but it'd be worth it if they'd go all out with it and do this...

Have a small re-writeable disc inside the controller. Now if you put Gamecube games in to the Revolution, you could write them to the controller. Disconnect the controller and bam -- portable Gamecube game.

platinum jiggy
23rd June 2005, 07:01 AM
I honostly think that a new SSB game would be very hard to top SSBM. But I don't think nintendo would add more characters without taking away some of the older ones *hint: get rid of pokemon!* But sonic and tails and maybe even knuckles would definatly be a plus from SSBM especially since Sega is basically part of Nintendo now. I always thought sonic and tails would fit perfectly to fill the whole character select screen in melee.(Like with what EGM did in April! :p ).

I'm glad nintendo is finally starting to learn from their mistakes with the game boy advance and gamecube. As unpopular as they are compared to Microsoft and Sony, Nintendo will always be the most experienced and innovative. I like Greys controller of a "portable GC" :cool: and I think that someday in the future, games will play completely without buttons (but lets hope it doesn't come to that until after we die!).

Sorry with all of this rambling. But ya know...a new mario64 type game would be freakin shweet! Especially how Sunshine was lame with the 9 level thing. I would rather have a bunch of levels with not so many stars than a few levels with lots of stars. But then again, early gamecube games were short because they didn't know how far to go with such little disks!

R Hunter
23rd June 2005, 07:49 AM
Hey Puzzle games are teh rock. I challenge anyone here to a game of Tetris. :)

WolvyDaPope
24th June 2005, 04:17 PM
You're on (I was raised on Tetris and Platformers)!
I think they should give Mewtwo his true power or throw Pokemon out of SSB. I think it would be awesome to use FLUDD and the Poltergeist 3000 in SSB3. Online play alone will make it better. Tournaments with 64 different people! Yes! Sonic characters would be cool. Chaos Zero and Shadow! If Shaodow can't use Chaos Control, I'll be so pi...er...mad. More of the DK crew would be cool, and Cel-Link. Too bad Rare is with Microsoft, altough BK would be a wierd SSB character...

RareBK
24th June 2005, 04:37 PM
Anyways, dont challenge me to a game of hexic

Grey Jinjo
24th June 2005, 07:15 PM
I'd like to see MetaKnight... and fortuantely he probably has the best shot of making it in to the new game, so I'm happy. I just hope they don't tinker with the physics too much and don't change any of the moves. They can add moves (If they have more buttons?) but if they take any moves away it is going to be aggravating having to adjust.

We won't be seeing Sonic characters though, SSB is 1st party only. Shadow, but oh well.

I'd like them to not have any more clones. Clones sucked. I would've preferred the clones to have original movesets.

My guess is we'll be seeing a couple more Mario characters (Wario), a couple more Kirby characters at last (DeDeDe/MetaKnight) another Earthbound character (Poo or Paula) and maybe even ::shudders:: another Pokemon. They may slip in another classic or two like Kid Icarus (sp?) or Balloon Fighter. I doubt we'll see Ridley or any other F-Zero character. Those would be my predictions.

BlueBreegull
24th June 2005, 09:49 PM
A new Mario game sounds cool, only it's too bad that a new MARIO game isn't coming out. I mean, a good old-fashioned Mario game (like Super Mario World...ah...), but with current technology and graphics. That. Would. Be. Best. Ever.

And if this game really is a puzzle game, I'll be very sad.

About the controller - I've always thought that a temperature changing controller would be cool. It'd be cool for simulating action more - like, for instance, if Link or Mario were in a desert level, the controller would be warm, or if in a snow level, it would be kind of cold. Though I'd be a afraid of it short-circuiting and burning off my flesh. Heh, that'd be innovative. Don't tell Nintendo, though.

With our new innovative "Burn-off-your-flesh" technology, our gamers will be able to truly experiance gaming while having their flesh melted off. Beat that, Microsoft!!!

As for the new Super Smash Bros due to release with the Revolution, I think King Dedede and Metaknight would be awesome characters to play. Ridley too. And maybe koopa/paratroopa or birdo. Some mario enemies would be cool to play as, though it might steer the focus to that game franchise too much.

R Hunter
24th June 2005, 09:51 PM
Oooh Meta Knight rocks. Hmm which moveset would you have him use? The GBA set or the SNES set? As for another First Party fighter...If it has to be another Pokemon then make it a legendary one. Like Deoxys or Celebi.
EDIT: Nice avatar Blue. I likeee... ;)

OmegaPirate
26th June 2005, 01:29 AM
I mean, a good old-fashioned Mario game (like Super Mario World...ah...), but with current technology and graphics. That. Would. Be. Best. Ever.
Well the Nintendo DS is getting a new 2D (but 3D looking) Mario World type game (ie Side Scrolling) Mario himself looks like 'Mario 64 DS' Mario

Ze_Professor
5th July 2005, 07:47 PM
Ah yes, ze Mario 128..... Hopefully it vill be as good and as 'revolutionary' as ze ninendo people have been telling us.... ah vell, I'm sure zat it vill be. I'm very excited about it! Hmmmm...... I vonder vat nintendo has in store for us.... vell, we'll just have to wait to find out I guess.

RareBK
5th July 2005, 10:03 PM
Well I hope it will atleast be out, stupidlieing Reggie, said it would be at this years E3. And Ze_Professor, do you always talk like that, cause most people here arent in character!?

Ze_Professor
5th July 2005, 10:11 PM
Vell BK, ze awnser is simple really. Ze awnser is yes.

actionwebgamer
6th July 2005, 01:52 AM
That was unnecessarily 2 sentences, so you must now die as your life is meaningless.

Anyway, I can't wait for this because there's no way in hell Nintendo is stupid enough to make this a puzzle.

Ze_Professor
6th July 2005, 02:13 AM
Vell sorry,but I was simply giving him an awnser. Anyvays, back on topic, I don't think zat ze game vill be a puzzler. No. I think zat ze game vill be a platformer, mario 64 style.

Zeek
6th July 2005, 05:42 PM

May I ask where you found this info? (If it's on that Gamespot link, then I missed it.)

Super Mario 128... Why'd they even call it that? Is it because it's 64x2? (Signaling that's probably the cancelled Mario 64 2 (http://ign64.ign.com/objects/001/001960.html) maybe?) This game better not be like the Tec-demo shown at the start of the GCN.

Klungo
6th July 2005, 08:56 PM
It is called Super Mario 128 beacuse the original system it was for hazd a 128 bit proccesser. Just like how the Nintendo 64 has a 64 in it's name. They may need to change it to Super Mario 256 because the Revolution has a 256 bit proccesser. The game is not a puzzler. The demo only showed how many Marios the gamecube could hold. It's just a platformer.

RareBK
6th July 2005, 09:25 PM
I heard it a looooonnggg time ago when they had the backgrounds for it, they said it was a sidescrolling puzzle with a lot of marios.. It was on a couple of websites which have now been shut down like two years ago, anyways, is Marioportal still up?

Zeek
7th July 2005, 02:11 PM
Marioportal has been up for not to long now, and they have the backrounds for 128 on there.

Hakey Wake
7th July 2005, 02:19 PM
It is called Super Mario 128 beacuse the original system it was for hazd a 128 bit proccesser. Just like how the Nintendo 64 has a 64 in it's name. They may need to change it to Super Mario 256 because the Revolution has a 256 bit proccesser. The game is not a puzzler. The demo only showed how many Marios the gamecube could hold. It's just a platformer.

The Gamecube didn't have a 128 bit processor, i'm almost certain it had a 64 one.

Infact, I don't think any of the current gen systems used 128 bit processors.

Klungo
7th July 2005, 10:24 PM
Well it has a 128 bit graphics card.

Hakey Wake
7th July 2005, 11:14 PM
Uh....right. :)

Dragon_Kazooie
7th August 2005, 06:46 PM
The New Super Mario Bros. is a remake of the original game with new features (including SIMULTANEOUS 2-player) The only part that sucks about it is that it comes out near christmas time......................*adds TNSMB to christmas wish list* and Ze_Professer...........stop typing like you do. you can type like us...............I am not offending you either.

Hakey Wake
7th August 2005, 07:17 PM
Super Mario Bros. 4 is not a remake.

Gruntling
8th August 2005, 02:52 AM
The New Super Mario Bros. is a remake of the original game with new features (including SIMULTANEOUS 2-player) The only part that sucks about it is that it comes out near christmas time......................*adds TNSMB to christmas wish list* and Ze_Professer...........stop typing like you do. you can type like us...............I am not offending you either.

Are you sure it's a remake? Because if that's true, that'll suck. :mad: *still waits for new original content*

Hakey Wake
8th August 2005, 02:57 AM
-steers Gruntling to previous post-

There, all better. :)

Andre
8th August 2005, 03:56 AM
Hmm, from what I heard, The New Super Mario Bros. isn't a remake.

Gold Jinjo
8th August 2005, 05:53 AM
Hmm, from what I heard, The New Super Mario Bros. isn't a remake.

Indeed, it's Nintendo's first brand new original 2D Mario game in years.

Gruntling
8th August 2005, 01:37 PM
Indeed, it's Nintendo's first brand new original 2D Mario game in years.

Hooray! All is well once again in the land of Gruntling... :) I was getting worried... after all there's nothing worse than a misunderstood backstab from Nintendo.

Klungo
8th August 2005, 09:16 PM
There was one original 2d Mario game before it. Mario vs. Donkey Kong

vaticandrummer
5th September 2005, 03:41 AM
A new Mario game sounds cool, only it's too bad that a new MARIO game isn't coming out. I mean, a good old-fashioned Mario game (like Super Mario World...ah...), but with current technology and graphics. That. Would. Be. Best. Ever.

Definately. SMW, in my opinion, is one of the greatest games of ALL time. It was just so perfect how the whole game was.

What would be cool is combining all of the SMB games + SMW in a realistic, 3d platform place. That would be so amazingly awesome.

Speaking of 3D renditions of old-school games, I once made the first 3 levels in SMB1 for Jedi Academy. Those were so awesome to play; I made every single breakable block be, well, breakable. Unfortunately, that and many other gems got erased when my hard drive died.