The Rare Witch Project Forums

The Rare Witch Project Forums (https://www.therwp.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Gaming (https://www.therwp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Ocarina of Time vs Skyward Sword (https://www.therwp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48273)

Spudfish93 9th April 2012 09:10 PM

Ocarina of Time vs Skyward Sword

This game (Skyward Sword) has been out for quite some time and now that some of the initial hype has died down a bit I was wondering people's opinions on whether or not it is genuinely better than Ocarina of Time.
Before you vote, however, make sure to not only consider gameplay elements such as control, soundtrack and characters, but also ensure to compare the technological implementations, as both games have made some significant advances over the way games are played.
Also, don't vote for one if you haven't played both.

frankieforever 9th April 2012 09:12 PM

I played the demo, and Skyward sword was pree-ee fun. But I cant really vote so Ill say OoT

dragon_kazoooie 9th April 2012 10:03 PM

Ocarina of Time aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllllllllllll the way!

Dylan Yoshi 10th April 2012 03:55 AM

Easily Skyward Sword. It's an overall better designed game.

Mandolin 10th April 2012 01:48 PM

Oh man, this is tough. I have a hard time choosing between Zelda games. If you threw Wind Waker and Twilight Princess onto the pile, I still wouldn't know which to choose. But let me think... Skyward Sword is better designed (not to mention better written, in terms of a tight plot and good dialogue), but Ocarina of Time has cooler tropes and a more epic experience. I can't decide. I genuinely can't.

mccartney-tm 10th April 2012 02:37 PM

Wow, This is difficult. I have to really think about this one...

Nayib 10th April 2012 04:28 PM

Lemme think about it for a bit;
Both games look great.
Both games have great controls.
Admittedly, OoT has a better plot and soundtrack.

Ocarina of Time's usage of music as a main point in the gameplay made the music super-memorable, plus it's just better than Skyward Sword's in my opinion.
Plus the plot of Ocarina of Time leaves more of a legacy in-universe and out. When playing through other games, you'll hear stories of "The Hero of Time" and they'll refer to the legends of OoT Link. Meanwhile, in the real world, if they refer to specific events in OoT, we're probably like "Oh yeah. I remember that." (Assuming you played OoT to begin with.)

Final summation; I vote OoT. But Skyward Sword is still fantastic.

DementedSun 10th April 2012 04:51 PM

Ocarina of Time for game play, soundtrack and controls. Skyward Sword for story, character interactions, and pretty graphics :p.

Overall, I'd definitely say Ocarina of Time is funner to play, and I still go back yearly and play through it, but I can't see myself doing the same for Skyward Sword.

Dan 10th April 2012 04:51 PM

Skyward sword isn't the zelda game we need, but the one we deserve.

Ty-chan 11th April 2012 08:15 PM

I haven't even gotten as far as I have in Skyward Sword as I have in Ocarina of Time, and I still think it's better than Skyward Sword.

Dan 11th April 2012 08:19 PM

true story, for about 90% of the game I thought ocarina of time had a better story. I then finished skyward swords last two levels, saw the actual conclusions of the story, and much prefer it to oot now.

I prefered the way that the actual gameplay going to the dungeons were almost like dungeons in themselves, I prefer how the collectables are done through sidequests and not 'roll into every ****ing tree you can find', i prefer the story, I prefer the combat style, I prefer the imagination of things like the time-shift stones, I even prefer the music in skyward sword over OoT.

That being said; It loses to majoras mask on all counts except combat.

Crimson10Blades 11th April 2012 09:23 PM

Ocarina of time was not only my first zelda game, but my first video game. But, recently, I've realized that OoT is overrated. I'm gonna say Skyward Sword.

Twi 13th April 2012 12:00 AM

Majora's Mask. It's the best of both worlds.

Mandolin 13th April 2012 12:55 AM

I will never understand how Majora's Mask is so popular. It's not a bad game (the story and characters are pretty awesome), but it's by far the least good of the 3D Zeldas. It's also not as good as A Link to the Past. It's so short, overrated, and poorly designed. But I'd rather not get sucked into this hole again. Until I write a long thesis about it or something.

Ty-chan 13th April 2012 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 1078033)
I will never understand how Majora's Mask is so popular. It's not a bad game (the story and characters are pretty awesome), but it's by far the least good of the 3D Zeldas. It's also not as good as A Link to the Past. It's so short, overrated, and poorly designed. But I'd rather not get sucked into this hole again. Until I write a long thesis about it or something.

Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda game. I can see your complaints with the length, but all the sidequests make up for the length of the main game. And how exactly is it poorly designed? I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. :-/