Thread: Niche games
View Single Post
Old 20th March 2012, 01:26 AM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
Niche games

Let's talk about niche games RWP. These are some of my favorite kind of games, because even if they are riddled with problems you can still guarantee that the experience is one of a kind.

I'll start us off with two I particularly like; a very unknown Japaneses SNES game titled Wonder Project J and it's sequel Wonder Project J2 on the N64. Wonder Project J is the retelling of the classic Pinocchio featuring a robot boy and you, the player, taking the role of Jiminy Cricket. If you've ever played Pacman 2 the New Adventures, it has a similar concept to that. You do not have direct control over the robot boy Pino, you instead guide his attention towards and object and he'll decide what to do with it. If he does what you want you praise him, and if he gets it wrong you scold him.

There are some RPG elements mixed in as well. Pino has a grocery list of different stats across four different categories which go up and down depending on what he does with an object. For example: having Pino swing a stick around like a sword has his attack and arm strength go up but his kindness and reasoning go down. This can get pretty frustrating at times since having too many points in a single stat will cause Pino to favor a certain behavior which gets in the way when trying to teach him new things.

Here's a short gameplay video featuring a commentator I swear is drunk.

The sequel on the N64 does away with almost all of the RPG elements, but still plays pretty close to the first one. This time you are watching over a robot girl named Josette who lives in a submarine. Josette is much easier to control than Pino, she almost never refuses to do something you asked and eventually gets it right even if you've been telling her to do it wrong. She talks directly to you more often than Pino does and sometimes even holds entire conversations with you (of course you can only respond with yes or no). This one is pretty hard to emulate though. It only displays right using Rice Video Plugin and it crashes on most emulators except for nemu64 and the donator build of Project64. If you have the patience you should definitely check this one out.

Gameplay featuring a man speaking a language other than English.

So, RWP, got any niche titles you think we should all see?