View Single Post
Old 30th April 2012, 05:02 PM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breegullbeak View Post
Banjo Kazooie set the ground work, and Banjo Tooie tried to be bigger, and while it was, the content was spread to far apart and the back tracking became not only painful, but it was usually only to get one thing. Donkey Kong 64 fixed that with different character specific pick ups. It made the back tracking less empty and you actually felt like you were accomplishing something.

I prefer me some Nuts & Bolts to Tooie any day though.
I pretty much agree with this. For me, Banjo-Kazooie was the first in the franchise I even played, so nostalgia is another huge factor when I think of the more superior game. I didn't play Banjo-Tooie until it was released on XBLA, but when I did, I also bought B-K and replayed it without nostalgia goggles. I have to say that the worlds, music, and plot are memorable for B-K, whilst in B-T I barely remember some of the major levels. I also felt that the hub world (Grunty's Lair) in B-K was easier to navigate, and fun to explore, especially on your first playthrough.

I have some other minor gripes on B-T as well such as how Banjo's voice sounds different (and quite annoyingly so) when he jumps or rolls or whatever. I also thought the honeycombs lacked the cool realistic physics when dropped. Instead, they look all cartoonish and bouncy. Overall, I did quite enjoy both games.

I wouldn't say I'd prefer Nuts and Bolts over Tooie. Don't get me wrong, I love Nuts and Bolts, but there just isn't enough variety in it for me to say it is better.

As for DK64, I'd play it over Tooie any day.