Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss anything gaming related here. Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, PC, mobile, or even the Ouya!

Old 11th April 2017, 11:21 AM
Glowbo

90s Japanese Turn Based RPGs are pretty boring to be honest

Final fantasy games before 13 is pretty terrible, like i played more fun strategy games on PC thant whatever turn based RPG games that americans had on SNES. I mean any japanese turn based RPG games as i consider it. But my question is, why do people actually like it? Here is how to sum it up. You walk around, random backgrounds and monsters comes up, you do the same thing so that you can fight a stronger boss, while yes you get weapons and (warried magic to level 8 atleast in the original ff1-3). And despite World of Warcraft being somewhat repetetive atleast you get new attacks that just comes and goes and the places you go to actually seems different. With Final Fantasy it really is just the same thing. As it is for most turn based RPG games, it has one thing in common, it gets boring the more you play it and level up because nothing changes and nothing exciting happens.

The only turn based RPG i kind of want to try is FFx-2 just for lols. But even games like Chrono Trigger i just dont have much interest in playing for some reason, i generally see either japanese turn based RPGs as boring mostly "with the exception of Jade Cocoon" and Final Fantasy games, while FF13 is kind of boring, i atleast like that it tries something new. Lightning Returns was a welcome edition. I beat FF13 though, and Lightning Returns years ago when it was new.

Didnt care for getting XV because it looks a tad bit gay. I'll be waiting for Xbox Scorpio and see what new games will come out for that system

To put it short. I am not a huge fan of Squaresoft games, or any turn based japanese RPG games in the 90s. But dont get me wrong, while Kingdom Hearts is having different weapons and stuff, i still hate that game series too even if it is new, whether its the dumb hair thats unrealistic with different bleaches to it or just the fact that they try to mix the Squaresoft world with Disney.

I mean its incredible how Squaresoft or Square Enix now actually makes World of Warcraft look better, and i used to hate it in 2008, but i am sort of starting to see it as a better game compared to what i have been exposed too. But if i ignore Nomura overall, and if they go in a direction of firing him and rather let the director of FF13 go on, then i may be interested in it. Other than that, not a huge fan of the company with the exception of the director of FF13 series.

Last edited by Saps; 11th April 2017 at 11:26 AM.

Old 13th April 2017, 01:18 AM
Most Missed Member '11 - '12

Total Awards: 8
SteamLink Verified Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Podcast Viva PiƱata TiP Mastery 
I'm torn on this subject, because FF7 is one of my favorite games of all time, but I definitely like free-movement gameplay like in Kingdom Hearts and FF15 better. Pretty excited that they are migrating to this style for the FF7 remake.

Old 13th April 2017, 06:35 AM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
What is your opinion on 80's American turn based RPGs?

Old 17th April 2017, 11:42 PM
Formerly Super_Nintendo6

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 INFECTED - B1K1 
anything the west makes is trash.... pure garbage.

burn it all down

Old 4th May 2017, 07:43 AM
Glowbo

Well what i dont get is why do Square have to remake everything. Just release it like it is. FF2,FF3 and FF5. I guess this is so sacred in Japan that they are like, no way we give these westerners our gold tehe!!!

I also tried FF origins, got to Chaos castle, lost to triamut or whatever boss on level 37... Friggin shit game, deleted file, sold the game. I rather play FF13 over this.

User Tag List