Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss anything gaming related here. Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, PC, mobile, or even the Ouya!

Old 26th June 2016, 01:56 AM
Grunty's Reject

it was 100% reference to watergate which is still stupid because any little kid dumb enough to actually buy color splash is (sadly) more likely to know about gamergate than watergate

and as stupid and irrelevant as gg is i still laughed when i heard about the joke in the prison school dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impy View Post
when will NoA employ krobo and deepercut so we can get youtube poops embedded directly into our mediocre nintendo titles
i wouldn't be surprised if that eventually happens

Old 27th June 2016, 08:54 PM
Funniest Member ('13 - '14)

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
This game looks visually amazing, and terrible to play.

Old 27th June 2016, 09:38 PM
DJ Jamjars

Total Awards: 7
You're Appreciated! Imagination Game On Reminiscence Chatterbox 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impy View Post
when will NoA employ krobo and deepercut so we can get youtube poops embedded directly into our mediocre nintendo titles
Ehh, the write of My Immortal can do better.

And if you don't agree they your a dumb prep.

Blep!!

Old 3rd October 2016, 04:51 PM
Humba Wumba

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Get this, the game is actually kinda fun!

It's better in its first hour than all of Sticker Star. And I couldn't stand sticker star.

Old 3rd October 2016, 05:51 PM
Mercury Star Power, Make Up~!

Total Awards: 10
Awesome Default Medal You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Imagination Game On 
The soundtrack has been up on YouTube and it's really good. That alone makes me plan on getting it, ha.

I've been cautiously optimistic about this game since it came out but still pretty excited (note who started this thread in the first place!), defending the fact that it's not TTYD, while admitting that I'd still really prefer another rpg, so I've been keeping an eye on it the more they release information, and I think my optimism paid off. Fun humor, great art, wonderful music, and the card system seems better than stickers. I saw a preview where they used one of the multi-jump cards (the green spring boots), and defeated an enemy with it, but there was still more paint on the card so the same card could be used to the next enemy, and that alone is such a huge change from one sticker per attack in Sticker Star that I think it'll help make battles feel less obnoxious. Apparently you get hammer upgrades during battles to hold more paint, making a sort of experience-points-equivalent that should be at least a little incentive to battle every now and again.

I'm definitely getting it when it comes out Friday.

Old 3rd October 2016, 06:34 PM
Humba Wumba

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
The only thing that sort of bothers me so far (I'm not far), is the lack of damage numbers. If you time it right, a worn out shoe will kill a basic enemy the same as a regular shoe.

Also there's no sorting system for the cards. So you can have 100 cards from left to right. They should have had mini "decks". The actual battle mechanics are probably more cumbersome than they should be. There's an option to sort of make it more efficient, though.

Normally you drag the card, click ready, tap it again until it's painted, then flick it up to start the turn. You can make it so that you drag and paint it in the same motion, but it still feels like it could have been made quicker.

Music is great. The hub feels something more like the older Paper Marios, even if (as far as I see) it's rather small. The dialogue is very cute. It could have been a regular jab at old people, but a toad said something that reminded me of Cammie Dunnway and her somewhat infamous dying at the first goomba at one of the E3 conferences years ago. I may be reading into it though.

The world is definitely beautiful, and as such I refuse to use off-tv play. The "leveling" up system of adding more paint is a huge step above sticker star, but then again holding more paint is kind of pointless considering you can refill your paint infinitely hitting any object in the environment. At the very least it does give a sense of progression, even if it's ultimately pointless.

All in all it's better than sticker star. And there is a very good-feeling mechanic of filling in all the paintless spots for completionists such as myself.

Old 3rd October 2016, 08:47 PM

From what I've seen it looks like enemy health is represented by their color. It drains the more damage you do. So, for example, weaker enemies will be instantly drained by a worn out shoe just as well as a normal shoe. I could be wrong though.

Old 11th October 2016, 04:15 PM

I guess if you're looking for a general opinion on Color Splash, it currently has a 78 in professional reviews, 8.1 in user scores. Now, for comparison, Paper Mario 64 has a 93 professional, 9.2 user, TTYD 87 professional 9.4 user, Super an 85 professional, 7.9 user, and Sticker Star a 75 professional, and 5.6 user So it sounds like it isn't as good as the originals, but it's a solid game.
It has a few low scores professionally, but most of them are in the 75-up tier. Quite a few 90s, and a lot of 80s.

I guess the general consensus is that it's better than Sticker Star! A sort of in-between Sticker Star and 64/TTYD.

EDIT: Following Metacritic, I mean
Paper Mario: Color Splash

Last edited by Zondekel; 11th October 2016 at 04:18 PM.

Old 12th October 2016, 10:36 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 15
Mystery Four Mystery Three Mystery Two Mystery One INFECTED - B2K1 
From personal experience I can say that Colour Splash is very much a good mediocre game with great humour. It's nothing mindblowing, but it has really strong writing and humour that makes the game worth a look!
\_(❀❀) _/
/ ◯◯ \
☄╯  ╰ シ

Old 12th October 2016, 03:38 PM

I picked it up and played it for a few hours yesterday- I'm enjoying it! I think I agree with your assessment, Smouvy- it isn't mindblowing, but it's still fun to play through.

Fantastic soundtrack, too, haha.

Old 12th October 2016, 07:37 PM
Rare Witch Hero

yes forgot to mention the soundtrack, that's a good too! It's what Sticker Star could've been if they'd hadn't forgotten to fill it with love.
\_(❀❀) _/
/ ◯◯ \
☄╯  ╰ シ

Old 12th October 2016, 10:47 PM

I don't have $75 dollars to put down for this game so I think I'll be downloading it at some point... I do really wanna try it.

Old 12th October 2016, 11:14 PM

I actually really enjoyed a lot of Sticker Star's soundtrack too. Same sort of big band swing jazzy stuff that Color Splash followed.

Unless you meant in general Sticker Star could have been Color Splash if it had been filled with love. In which case, yeah, I agree, haha.

Old 13th October 2016, 02:26 AM

If Color Splash's soundtrack is like Sticker Star's I will be sad

Old 13th October 2016, 11:33 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Sticker Star's soundtrack had some good idea but was really forgettable. I've been accidentally humming the main theme to Color Splash for about a week now.
\_(❀❀) _/
/ ◯◯ \
☄╯  ╰ シ

User Tag List