Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > The Banjo Kazooie Series

The Banjo Kazooie Series General Discussion about the Banjo Kazooie series from the N64 classics to the handheld sequels & new Xbox games.

Old 27th April 2015, 02:47 AM
Lord of Games

Total Awards: 2
Game On INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smouvy View Post
I wouldn't have minded it had they said 'hey we're making a big BK spinoff' just like Mario does with a bajilion of their spinoffs.

But no, Nuts and Bolts is canonically the third instalment in the game series. Which completely disregards Grunty's Revenge, which in every way shape and form was more of an instalment in the series.
Grunty's Revenge may have been more of an installment in the series, but it was also a much much worse game than Nuts and Bolts. Like, GR was pretty bad at worst and mediocre at best. Honestly it should get a lot more hate than Nuts and Bolts does.

Old 27th April 2015, 03:32 AM
Fired

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B2K1 
I quite honestly feel that Gruntilda's Revenge was a lot more of a spin off title than Nut and Bolts ever was.

Old 27th April 2015, 07:29 AM
Dingpot

Why was Gruntys revenge bad?? Why was this even made instead of a bank tooie sequel on a console?

Old 27th April 2015, 11:13 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 17
You're Appreciated! Mystery Four Mystery One Thread Starter Imagination 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Colberto View Post
No really, I fundamentally do not understand how you 100% complete a game that you think is just "ok" and feel becomes a chore by the end unless you are certifiably insane.
Play the game once, its amazing

Second time, its amazing

I can record this, I should make a guide
100% it again.. urrrgggghhh

Buterflies are insex. ~TwilightVestige

Old 27th April 2015, 08:39 PM
Glowbo

People "bandwagoning" to say a game is bad because it's different. Didn't help that a "famous Youtuber" made a video of the first 20 minutes of the game complaining.

Sure, it has problems, but it's still enjoyable in its own way.

Old 27th April 2015, 08:52 PM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 15
Mystery Four Mystery Three Mystery Two Mystery One INFECTED - B2K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Yoshi View Post
Grunty's Revenge may have been more of an installment in the series, but it was also a much much worse game than Nuts and Bolts. Like, GR was pretty bad at worst and mediocre at best. Honestly it should get a lot more hate than Nuts and Bolts does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyo76 View Post
I quite honestly feel that Gruntilda's Revenge was a lot more of a spin off title than Nut and Bolts ever was.
I don't see how Grunty's Revenge being a bad or mediocre game has anything to do with whether or not it's more close to the Banjo formula than Nuts and Bolts.

For the record, I am not that fond of GR either, but even on a GBA with all of its limitations it makes me feel more like I'm playing an actual Banjo game than NAB (even if GR itself is pretty far off of being like a Banjo game at that too).
\_(❀❀) _/
/ ◯◯ \
☄╯  ╰ シ

Old 27th April 2015, 08:56 PM
Von Kriplespac

You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 Grey Note Medal 
I don't hate it for what it is, I hate it for what it claims to be - a successor to my favorite childhood game. The game on its own would've been good if not forgettable, but it was a massive disappointment and peaks up there as one of the biggest let-downs I've experienced in gaming.

Old 27th April 2015, 09:07 PM
North American Scum

Total Awards: 19
You're Appreciated! Swine Flu Bashful Game On Reminiscence 
Nuts and Bolts is a legitimately good video game, and one that I actually enjoyed. The problem has always been that it has no real relation to a Banjo game, even though it is pushed as the third game in the canonical series. If this was a separate Rare IP, I think we would have all praised it and been looking for sequels. (Even though the game didn't sell.)

On it's own though, I actually really enjoyed it. Kind of want to go back and 100% the cheevos.

Old 27th April 2015, 11:45 PM
DJ Jamjars

Total Awards: 7
You're Appreciated! Imagination Game On Reminiscence Chatterbox 
I think its still an alright game, just needed to put the trains, planes, and automobiles style gameplay to the side and focus on the platforming.

Blep!!

Old 28th April 2015, 12:25 AM
Fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smouvy View Post
I don't see how Grunty's Revenge being a bad or mediocre game has anything to do with whether or not it's more close to the Banjo formula than Nuts and Bolts.

For the record, I am not that fond of GR either, but even on a GBA with all of its limitations it makes me feel more like I'm playing an actual Banjo game than NAB (even if GR itself is pretty far off of being like a Banjo game at that too).
Who said anything about hating it? I thought Gruntilda's Revenge was alright.. I'm saying that Nut and Bolts just, I dunno, feels like it's more canon.

Old 28th April 2015, 01:08 AM
Humba Wumba

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
I played through it shortly after joining the forums and, even though I joined the bandwagon of "I HATE THIS GAME BECAUSE ITS NOT WHAT I WANTED", I still managed to enjoy it. The music was amazing, of course, and the art design/gameplay was interesting enough to make it a memorable experience. Now that I've grown up more and got over the fact that it isn't a platformer, I want to play it again to see how much I enjoy it a second time around. Definitely underrated

Old 28th April 2015, 01:21 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 10
You're Appreciated! Bashful Imagination Game On Reminiscence 
Took long enough for the rest of the defenders to show up.

Old 28th April 2015, 01:26 AM
Fired

I used to just walk around on foot and watch the ants in Nutty Acres, or whatever. The levels in that game are a bit shaky but that's one of my favorite ones in the whole series.

Old 28th April 2015, 01:43 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 10
You're Appreciated! Bashful Imagination Game On Reminiscence 
Same. Nutty Acres is a great level. It was certainly designed to use vehicles, but the place was really pretty and I enjoyed just driving around it. My only real complaint is that their isn't enough levels. We could have at least used a water world.

Old 28th April 2015, 07:34 AM
Dingpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
Nuts and Bolts is a legitimately good video game, and one that I actually enjoyed. The problem has always been that it has no real relation to a Banjo game, even though it is pushed as the third game in the canonical series. If this was a separate Rare IP, I think we would have all praised it and been looking for sequels. (Even though the game didn't sell.)
For me this isn't the problem, if it was a good game I would have loved it as part of the series but it wasn't. Them gruntbots suck ALL fun out of the game by being nothing but an annoyance. The vehicle mechanics and physics were terrible, driving over a tiny microscopic piece of dust could completely knock you of track and over turn your vehicle. The challenges were boring, repetitive and no fun at all. The beautiful hub world couldn't even be enjoyed to the full extent cause of the hundreds of pointless characters dotted around the place getting in the way.
Those are BEFORE even looking at this as a Banjo game. Adding the fact that the character designs took life away from lovable characters, funny gargles, gulps, burps and random voice noises were all diluted down into quiet boring mumbles and muffles, and there was no great banjo cutscenes or story lines. The most fun I got off of the game was trying to platform and getting to out of reach places on foot then taking pictures and posting on the BK forums.

Tags
lol tags

User Tag List