Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss anything gaming related here. Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, PC, mobile, or even the Ouya!

Old 6th October 2010, 11:24 AM
On DKVine

Total Awards: 6
INFECTED - B2K1 Imagination Wiki-Master Rarity Awesome Default Medal 
Red is Depressing (Pokemon)

SPOILERS? Maybe?

Think about it.

I just made it to Mt. Silver in Soul Silver, and I've seen Red (aka player character in the first gen games) at the peak of the mountain. Now I haven't fought him yet as he'd whoop my ass easy (his Pokemon are leveled in the 80s, with Pikachu at 88, my highest mon that I've trained is at 57), but from what I've read, he doesn't talk to you, you fight, and then just disappears.

Let's take a look at Mt. Silver. Both characters are at the very peak of a mountain; it's freezing, snowing, and so high up that there's probably little oxygen. HGSS takes place three years after the first gen games. The implication is that Red has been up there alone for three years.

But after you beat him, he just disappears.

tldr; Red cut off all ties from his family and friends and trained on Mt. Silver. He froze to death and you fight his ghost. At least that's what I think. :/

IDK, just food for thought.

Old 6th October 2010, 11:58 AM
Von Kriplespac

Maybe he jumps off the mountain and dies after you beat him.
Digimon Adventure 01 was probably one of the best things I'd ever seen. I even saw it through to the end. Then 02 came and messed everything up. Why did they have to change everything? If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Old 6th October 2010, 04:36 PM
Formerly I hate Cats

Total Awards: 2
INFECTED - B2K1 INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKGeno4Ever View Post
I would say it's his Ghost, because I beat him 5-6 times while I was playing Nature Girls HG.

An interesting subplot Twi, but I doubt that's the way Game Freak envisioned it.

Old 6th October 2010, 08:31 PM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 1
You're Appreciated! 
Who said he stood up there for three years? Maybe he just got there...

...or we caught up with him because we've been spying on him for three years. 0_o

Old 6th October 2010, 09:27 PM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 2
Game On Rarity 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKGeno4Ever View Post
You get to rematch him if you beat the Elite Four again.

Old 7th October 2010, 12:04 AM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 1
You're Appreciated! 
I'll never look at Pokemon the same way again.

Old 7th October 2010, 12:33 AM
On DKVine

Beautiful Alakazam, beautiful.

If there was a clapping emote, I'd use it.

Old 7th October 2010, 12:36 AM
Retired

Total Awards: 11
RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 Basic Forum Rules RWP Bash Day 11 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 10 Participation Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazam View Post
Red never talks during the entirety of R/B either though, so I don't think there's any validity to the ghost theory other than maybe the fact that he disappears after you beat him, but I think he just runs away to be alone again

you can make a lot of comparisons between Red and Satoshi Tajiri - when Tajiri was a kid, he liked to collect different kinds of insects, which is how he got the idea of Pokemon in the first place, and Red's quest to become champion is kinda like Tajiri's quest to bring Pokemon into fruition (oh and in the anime in Japan, Ash is named Satoshi)

so that leads me to believe that, being the naturally shy and socially awkward person that Tajiri is (he has aspergers b t w), Red's quest for solitude in G/S is Tajiri living through his character - he never wanted nor anticipated the fame that came with creating a blockbuster franchise, like how Red never anticipated the fame that would come with becoming Pokemon champion, so he has Red run away, to train by himself in the deepest depths of a cave, just so he can be alone

it is depressing, not because red is dead or whatever, but because it's a perfect artistic blend of real human struggle with incredible storytelling, and it makes me seriously wonder how people overlook the stories of the first two generations of Pokemon games so often
Substituting your own fiction into a game that has practically no narrative to begin with doesn't make it art.

I mean ffs, you just said the Pokemon games have a good story. What you just came up with here is way better than anything I've ever seen out of the Pokemon franchise.

EDIT: Thinking about it more, if your interpretation is right this means Red is the biggest idiot ever. How does he think becoming a Pokemon Master and defeating the Elite 4 WON'T make him famous?

Last edited by Avarice; 7th October 2010 at 01:13 AM.

Old 7th October 2010, 12:42 AM
On DKVine

There is a story to Pokemon, like Red's backstory and G/S's rival character being Giovanni's son. The story is just very subtle.

Old 7th October 2010, 12:47 AM
Retired

RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 Basic Forum Rules RWP Bash Day 11 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 10 Participation Award 
Wait, since when is Gold's Rival the son of Giovanni? And when does Red have backstory outside of his Dad being a Pokemon trainer?

Last edited by Avarice; 7th October 2010 at 12:52 AM.

Old 7th October 2010, 01:05 AM
Most Creative Member '11 - '12

Total Awards: 8
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Imagination Reminiscence Rarity 
I'm confused.

Old 7th October 2010, 01:42 AM
Mr. Pants

^ That is so true. What happens to Mario and Peach after Super Mario Bros.? Does she really just give him a kiss and a slice of cake? lol jk

Old 7th October 2010, 02:11 AM
Retired

Quote:
yeah exactly, like a lot of Nintendo games you have to look deeper to see what's really going on
Except you're looking for things that aren't there and creating your own (And far better imo) plot points to substitute the game's lack of any real ones.

Quote:
it's like how kurt cobain didn't anticipate the fame he would receive for nirvana I guess
It's one thing to not expect your song or band to be really famous. It's another to GO OUT AND BEAT THE CHAMPIONS AT SOMETHING REALLY POPULAR and then be surprised you get famous.

It would be like if beat Mike Tyson in a fight, and then I was surprised the press covered it.

Old 7th October 2010, 02:37 AM
Retired

Quote:
well yeah but when you start off as a boxer do you expect to be able to beat mike tyson someday? people get in way over their heads sometimes
If I keep consistently beating other competent boxers, then I believe I would stand a chance, yes.

By time Red got his fifth or sixth badge or started beating Team Rocket he should have backed off, if we were to believe your interpretation of his (lack of) character.

Old 7th October 2010, 05:23 AM
Retired

Okie dokie.

User Tag List