Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic

Rare & Playtonic Discuss anything Rare related, from classic Rareware to the Golden(eye) era or even some of their later projects. If it's Rare it's here.

Old 15th September 2014, 06:16 PM
Formerly Edward Rocks

Can the Minecraft acquisition help sales of future Rare games?

I still think it's a very questionable decision for the money they paid, but IF Microsoft can get a sizable chunk of Minecraft's demographic to buy Xbox Ones (with an exclusive Minecraft 2, for instance, or even advertising on the current game), how do you think that will affect the sales of, say, a new Banjo, Viva Pinata or whatever new thing Rare produces on that same vein?

As much as some people here try to deny the existence of dudebros and their association with the Xbox brand, it's pretty clear from the sales figures that a sizable chunk of Xbox fans/supporters are just not into the kind of game Rare has become famous for. I have no doubts this was a big, big reason to reshape them into a Kinect studio and try to attract a whole new audience. But now that the Kinect is dead, Rare will *probably* get back to the traditional games everyone has always expected from them, and it makes me wonder if the future of Rare had any weight at all in Microsoft's decision to go after Minecraft. Of course it wasn't the main reason, but do you think Microsoft realizes that this could be a good thing for future Rare games?

Old 15th September 2014, 06:37 PM
North American Scum

Total Awards: 19
You're Appreciated! Swine Flu Bashful Game On Reminiscence 
Microsoft has already said that they will continue to produce Minecraft on all platforms in which it is currently available. If there's a Minecraft sequel, then perhaps? I still disagree with your premise about "dudebros" though. The Xbox One has plenty of games like Peggle 2, Project Spark, Super Time Force that aren't for that demographic so I feel like you say this stuff without actually playing Xbox games.

Either way, I doubt Minecraft will have any serious effect, depending on how they treat the franchise.

Old 15th September 2014, 06:47 PM
Humba Wumba

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
No effect. And if that was the plan, chances are we wouldn't see the result of that for years. But luckily Rare has hinted at working on something that isn't kinect sports currently so we'll see.

Old 15th September 2014, 07:45 PM
Formerly Edward Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
The Xbox One has plenty of games like Peggle 2, Project Spark, Super Time Force that aren't for that demographic so I feel like you say this stuff without actually playing Xbox games.
Peggle and STF are indie/small budget games and their nature/aesthetic is not even nearly as unappealing to a dudebro as a mascot bear platformer, a fairy adventure game or a fluffy piñata garden simulator.

Old 15th September 2014, 08:44 PM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 
Here are my thoughts.

Old 27th September 2014, 02:04 PM
Most Missed Member '11 - '12

Total Awards: 8
SteamLink Verified Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Podcast Viva Piñata TiP Mastery 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
Microsoft has already said that they will continue to produce Minecraft on all platforms in which it is currently available. If there's a Minecraft sequel, then perhaps? I still disagree with your premise about "dudebros" though. The Xbox One has plenty of games like Peggle 2, Project Spark, Super Time Force that aren't for that demographic so I feel like you say this stuff without actually playing Xbox games.

Either way, I doubt Minecraft will have any serious effect, depending on how they treat the franchise.
Xbox is definitely dominated by dudebros. Non-dudebro games exist, but that doesn't mean the distribution is anywhere near equal. If Banjo Kazooie, Viva Pinata, etc. was comparably marketable, there would be one every year a la Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty.

I don't think having a "dudebros" console is a bad thing though. That's just knowing your audience and catering to them. Microsoft isn't trying to be Nintendo, and it works for them. In fact, when they try to be Nintendo (Kinect), it blows up in their face.

Old 27th September 2014, 03:55 PM
Dingpot

RWP Podcast 
I hate to think it, but I personally don't see how the acquisition would help Rare's future at all. In fact, it could make it worse for them really. Rare is already in the position that a lot of their old staff that created what they were famous for are already gone, and now the gigantic superhit that is Minecraft is being merged into the picture. Who's to say they won't focus their non-FPS efforts into that and keep Rare on the backburner? Granted, like banjonator mentioned, they've been working on something apparently, so that's hopes right there that it won't go downhill, but unless it's anything relatively significant compared to what's to probably be worked on with Mojang, I'm just not very optimistic.

Old 27th September 2014, 11:49 PM
Jinjo

Random Award 
I honestly think that Micro$oft buying Mojang is EXACTLY like what they did to Rare. Next thing you know we have Mine of Duty and Scrolls: Elder edition. This is not going to end well of any one

Old 30th September 2014, 05:38 PM
Dingpot

RWP Podcast 
Bye-bye Steve it seems as well.

https://twitter.com/grantkirkhope/st...88990935662592

Old 30th September 2014, 05:45 PM
Humba Wumba

INFECTED - B1K1 
Oh, he just left Rare. I was worried it was worse...

Not like it matters anyway. His talent deserves to be utilized better. Same goes for Robin Beanland. Wonder how long it'll be before he leaves as well

Old 30th September 2014, 07:43 PM
Jolly Rodger

Viva Piñata TiP Mastery 
So, Gregg Myles and Robin Beanland are the only ones still there?

Old 1st October 2014, 12:32 AM
Formerly Edward Rocks

Leigh Loveday is still there, but he's not very high profile. Just a community manager these days.

I don't think Robin is passionated about his job at all, he probably doesn't care as long as he gets his paycheck. And that's likely why he's still there.

Grant said there's another member of the Banjo team other than Gregg that is still there, not sure if he's talking about Leigh or someone else. (Leigh did the writing of most Banjo games)

Steve's departure definitely doesn't bode well for whatever Rare is working for the future, they'll probably replace him with cheap temp artists. More casual games incoming? Great.

Old 2nd October 2014, 01:49 PM
Formerly BanjoBoy123

INFECTED - B1K1 
yeah i like how rare's marketting team focused so much energy toward the rwp. we were like their only demographic, and they still happened to disappoint.

User Tag List