Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Archive > Action Replay/Gameshark hacking

Action Replay/Gameshark hacking Come in and learn to hack like the pros. ahem. yes.

Old 29th December 2006, 12:25 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 17
You're Appreciated! Mystery Four Mystery One Thread Starter Imagination 
Textures get killed with BT Co-op.. O,o

So I get bored with my normal life (shh FBI) and I say "Why don't I mess with them roms.."

So I start doing stuff in BK and BT with th einstant warps, and in BK, I warp to fight grunty on battlements. I forget to put all moves on, so I get killed. I am warped to where Dingpot is, but strange thing is there aren't any textures on the walls. You can see right through them, but there aren't textures. But there are textures everywhere eles. So I put on the Game 100% code, and bam. The textures are there, and the 25 Jiggy door is gone, too.

So I levatate up to fight grunty, blah blah, I start to levatate to the top of the arena, to the edge, to the bottom, ect. Whenever I get hit by her on the broom, I am forced to go one direction and can only move up or down untill I fall untill Banjo says "Uh oh..!"

Little later, Grunty goes away. Where? Dunno. But there is a black shadow on the floor. Look up, nothing. Go into wireframe mode, look down, nothing. So where did she go? =S

Ok so in BT, I start screwing around with the Co-op warps. Interesting. The only co-op area that worked was the Entrance to the lair. The music worked and I could move player 1. But the textures.. They were all purple, pink, and.. WEIRD! I've used warps before, do I figure that if I leave, I'll just reappear. Nope. When I walked out, I wa sin Spiral Mountain.. -.-

So I try other co-op warps (by now i've figured that aren't the instant warps). I try CCW, but I'm in the middle of the mountain, one screen, looking at a red platform.. Can't move.. So I restart. Then is GGM. This one scared me (ya rly)! Everything is purple again, no surprise, and there aren't any baddies. I apprared near the tracks to the left of the main entrance, near the shooting game. When I look up, the textures that flash bright and dark.. Well they freaked me out -.-

So I come to the conclusion that I can't hack worth nothing, creepy textures scare me, and.. Well I guess that is it! I'll try other co-op warps later.. But now I need to think about.. stuff.. <.< SDFU you dang FBI agents!!

Buterflies are insex. ~TwilightVestige

Old 29th December 2006, 02:44 AM
Jolly Rodger

Total Awards: 1
RWP Note Medal 
Well, your first paragraph was pretty much answered by yourself.

That thing when you lose control and are "pushed back" after being hit is called recoil, and it's a pretty common thing in platformers, like the older Megaman, Castlevania and Sonic games.

Specially in the 8-bit Castlevanias, if you ever got hit by a medusa head and felt directly into a bottomless pit you'll probably know what I mean.
That was programed on purpose and it's not the GS fault, the reason why you can still move up and down is because the Moonjump code changes your vertical (i.e. Y axis) position (I think).

Also, I always fought Grunty using the "Battlements" warp digit, but that black shadow thingy never happened to me. In fact, I'm battling her as I type this and everything's working fine as usual.

I'll try playing around with the Co-op code to see if I can reproduce these glitches in BT.
Btw, are you playing the real thing or on an emulator? If so, which emulator are you using?

Last edited by LaorBR; 29th December 2006 at 02:46 AM.

Old 29th December 2006, 05:34 PM
Rare Witch Hero

I'm useing PJ64. It is the best (and only one I know of). The grunty glich happened on the Battlements, yes. But when you say recoil, I don't think this generally has to do with this. you see, if I were on the ground and got hit, I would go back a small bit then land, like Banjo does all the time. But I got hit whilst I was in the sir, and I kept going out untill I hit the level boundry. Untill I droped untill it was a damage-taking fall I was traped.

And about Grunty going away, It probally had somthing to do with being so close to the level boundry and she got killed.

Old 29th December 2006, 06:30 PM
Jolly Rodger

RWP Note Medal 
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyme123
And about Grunty going away, It probally had somthing to do with being so close to the level boundry and she got killed.
Nope, that can't be it because she doesn't follow you. Even when she's flying on the broom, she'll just circle the arena instead of going after you.

Also, try getting hit when you are by the ledge of a platform suspended in the air. You'll notice that's the same recoil thing that happens when you get hit in the air, Banjo will start falling back and you'll lose control over him until he starts doing his "freefall" animation.
This often happens in Click Clock Wood, when those snowmen are throwing snowballs at you. It actually doesn't matter if you are hit in the air or in the ground, the animation is always the same, the only difference is that Banjo will take a small hop backwards when you are hit in the ground.

Btw, I played with the Co-op code a bit and for some reason it's behavior is pretty random on PJ64.
Sometimes the textures are all messed up like what you said and sometimes they aren't. You'll just have to keep saving and reloading snapshots until you get it right, and fotunately once the textures are loaded correctly they'll stay that way. Even when I changed areas the textures still looked ok.
So yeah, I know it's not the solution you were looking for but it's still a good workaround.

Old 29th December 2006, 11:04 PM
Rare Witch Hero

Quote:
It probally had somthing to do with being so close to the level boundry and she got killed
I didn't really mean that she got killed, I was totally in a rush lol. What I really ment was that There was grunty's shadow, but she was nowhere above or below it. EG just gone.

Also ,why would there be a ability for co-op mode in BT when it isn't even used? The only time that I have ever seen a co-op things are the shootouts and a few other multiplayer minigames..

Old 29th December 2006, 11:24 PM
Jolly Rodger

RWP Note Medal 
Quote:
Also ,why would there be a ability for co-op mode in BT when it isn't even used? The only time that I have ever seen a co-op things are the shootouts and a few other multiplayer minigames..
Actually there isn't, Ice&Sub hacked the game to make it think you're in two player mode and in the adventure mode at the same time... Or something like that.
It's an ASM hack, not an in-game feature.

It's kind of like what the guys at Rare did with the Co-op expansion for Kameo and PDZ.
Quote:
I didn't really mean that she got killed, I was totally in a rush lol. What I really ment was that There was grunty's shadow, but she was nowhere above or below it. EG just gone.
Yeah I understood what you meant.
I was saying that can't be possible because her movement pattern is scripted.
There's just no way Grunty can go out of the level boundaries because of that.

Old 30th December 2006, 02:32 AM
Rare Witch Hero

But then why would the polygons be gone (pun..) but a shadow be there? Pretty strange if you ask me.. Well nobody didn't...

Also, why are you the only person replying? Perhaps Grunty took everyone eles away with her..? XD

Old 30th December 2006, 03:30 AM
Jolly Rodger

RWP Note Medal 
Not too many people come to this part of the forum, I guess.

Old 30th December 2006, 03:52 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Ah well that sucks then.

I tryed to reproduce the Grunty-going-away bug, but I couldn't get it to work. I have figured out that the only time you can hard grunty is when the flight pad fase of the battle is going on.. Beek Barrage when she is swooping me. No. Beek Barrage when she is shooting fire at me. No. Noob finding SNS, priceless.