Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss anything gaming related here. Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, PC, mobile, or even the Ouya!

Old 22nd April 2014, 01:32 AM
Fired

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B2K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Colberto View Post
My cat glanced up as this played this and she actually watched for a few seconds it as if to say, "What...the heck is that?"

Old 25th April 2014, 01:31 AM
Strangest Member '08 - '10

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Wiki-Master INFECTED - B1K1 
I had a great (in my opinion, almost certainly not in yours) idea and I'm currently discussing it on the DK Vine forums. I'd like to get you guys' take on it too. I'm going to copy and paste my original post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planet Cool
I changed my mind about playable "drones" in Smash. As in, I'm no longer against the idea. The enemies are among the most iconic and memorable parts of many Nintendo games; some of them deserve a spot on that roster, possibly including Bandanna/Waddle Dee.

I know most of you will disagree, but as much as I love Rosalina, I would have been happier (and more excited to play the new game) if a Koopa Troopa had joined Team Mario. Koopas appear in almost every Mario adventure and are even playable in many of the spin-offs; there's hardly anyone who doesn't know them, and Rosalina can't compete with their seniority. Similarly, how much fun would it be to play as a Krusha from Donkey Kong Country? A Moblin from Zelda? Hey, the Metroid fandom may never get Ridley as long as Sakurai is in charge, but wouldn't a Space Pirate make a fine non-Samus addition to Team Metroid? I would say so.

And what about my man Kamek? Some of you have pointed out he's seen as a regular Magikoopa in Japan, but if we throw the doors open to enemies, there's no reason to exclude him. We need more overtly "magical" characters in Smash anyway. For some reason, there's a dearth of Harry Potter-style spell-shooting, and Kamek would help correct that. Wouldn't you have fun spraying shrinking potions on your enemies, or using those geometric shapes to turn items or blocks into Shy Guys and bats?

Let's face it - Smash Bros. is running out of truly iconic characters to surprise people with. Adding iconic series enemies cuts down on the need to turn to third parties or unwashed proles like Shulk and Takamaru.
I think it would kind of suck if some of Nintendo's richest and most popular series (like Mario, Zelda, and Kirby) stopped getting new characters in future Smash Bros. games. If the likes of Lip, Takamaru, and Mach Rider are all we have to look forward to, I say throw open the doors to the mooks and shamuses of the Nintendo universe. Besides, with characters like Koopa Troopa and Krusha (both of whom have been playable before, incidentally), it doesn't take much imagination to make a fun, versatile moveset that stays true to their games.

Thoughts?

Old 25th April 2014, 01:50 AM
Humba Wumba

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Kamek's a boy? That's surprising news to me

Old 25th April 2014, 01:55 AM
Formerly GoldenJiggies

INFECTED - B2K1 
Koopa Troopa would be cool tbh, but that's the only normal Mario enemy I'd honestly like to ever see, because I could see it working pretty interestingly and honestly I do favor the Koopas a bit... but for a lot of franchises or enemies in general I just don't see this working. Waddle Dee and Kremling could work, but honestly not even the Goomba could be in Smash and nor do I want to see it. Can't really think of anything other than the three I've mentioned at the moment that would work and be worth existing in Smash. I don't think anything from Zelda would work, especially since even the same enemies change between every game, which is a good thing for the Zelda franchise, but not for the Smash franchise so much... Maybe Dekus, Gorons, and Zoras could work but some people would argue them more than enemies.

Old 25th April 2014, 02:07 AM

I love Dekus, but a random Deku sounds like a bad idea. I can see Darunia or Mikau being popular and fun to play as, though. I also think most people would enjoy a Wind Waker-style Moblin.

Old 25th April 2014, 02:40 AM
Jinjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolin View Post
Thoughts?
Let's make the ? Block playable too while we're at it.

Old 25th April 2014, 02:52 AM
Formerly Chilli

Total Awards: 8
Bashful Imagination Game On Rarity Chatterbox 
Only Shy Guy deserves a spot. We already have King Koopa as a playable character. Having just random enemies as playable characters kind of defeats the purpose of playing as the main cast of characters or villains from the Nintendoverse.

Old 25th April 2014, 03:06 AM
Formerly GoldenJiggies

INFECTED - B2K1 
It definitely is a tricky subject to tap on and we all know it'll never happen. I'm not completely against the idea but for know I'll enjoy when the enemies are actually put in modes like the 3DS exclusive one. Although Chandelure isn't really an enemy... This is why Pokemon could have an entire Smash-style game of its own.

Old 25th April 2014, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDNaux View Post
Let's make the ? Block playable too while we're at it.
That's not even remotely comparable.

Old 25th April 2014, 07:43 AM
Lord of Games

Total Awards: 2
Game On INFECTED - B1K1 
I do not want generic mooks to be playable, even if it means the five Mario characters we have now are the only five. Once a series is properly repped, I don't really think it NEEDS more, especially when other series can get their chance in the spotlight. After this game, I imagine we'll have nearly every super iconic character available (most likely minus Ridley and maybe K. Rool), so now I want to see characters like Alexandra Roivas, Shulk, Saki, Starfy- Ones that people would love to play as and also represent new series for Smash Bros. I would honestly feel cheated if we started getting random mooks before unrepresented series.

Old 25th April 2014, 08:36 AM

I disagree. A Koopa is a much more iconic, well-known and beloved Nintendo character than the protagonist of an obscure game that never really took off, such as Starfy or Takamaru. I appreciate the "museum" aspect of Smash Bros. as much as the next guy, and I don't have a problem with the occasional obscure fighter, but I don't think it should become the series' responsibility to revive the careers of forgotten game heroes (Sakurai made Pit and Kid Icarus cool again, but the Ice Climbers still have no business being there) or to promote up-and-comers like Shulk who have yet to demonstrate any kind of long-term appeal.

I don't think the term "generic" applies here, either. Look at a Koopa, a Krusha, a Moblin, and a Space Pirate; they aren't even vaguely similar, and presumably they would all have a personality and fighting style of their very own.

Old 25th April 2014, 08:38 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 15
Mystery Four Mystery Three Mystery Two Mystery One INFECTED - B2K1 
And this is why Assist Trophies were invented
\_(❀❀) _/
/ ◯◯ \
☄╯  ╰ シ

Old 25th April 2014, 08:52 AM
Lord of Games

Total Awards: 2
Game On INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolin View Post
I disagree. A Koopa is a much more iconic, well-known and beloved Nintendo character than the protagonist of an obscure game that never really took off, such as Starfy or Takamaru. I appreciate the "museum" aspect of Smash Bros. as much as the next guy, and I don't have a problem with the occasional obscure fighter, but I don't think it should become the series' responsibility to revive the careers of forgotten game heroes (Sakurai made Pit and Kid Icarus cool again, but the Ice Climbers still have no business being there) or to promote up-and-comers like Shulk who have yet to demonstrate any kind of long-term appeal.

I don't think the term "generic" applies here, either. Look at a Koopa, a Krusha, a Moblin, and a Space Pirate; they aren't even vaguely similar, and presumably they would all have a personality and fighting style of their very own.
Starfy has 5 games. Pretty sure it took off at some point or another.

See, the problem I have with the mooks isn't that they don't have any moveset potential- You can make a good moveset for pretty much everyone. But this is the difference between including a character whose entire personality is "Walking back and forth in a straight line" with a character (Starfy in this case) who goes through a ton of trials, saves the world by fighting demons, interacts with tons of characters along the way, and uses the power of friendship to fight a giant space dragon that shoots a moon at him- This is a character with an actual story. Now, Starfy isn't exactly a complex character (he's a silent protagonist, even) but he has adventures, he makes an impact on the world around him.

What has Random Koopa done? Well, I guess he's been kicked off a cliff by Mario. Better throw a big party for that accomplishment.

Old 25th April 2014, 09:21 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 15
Mystery Four Mystery Three Mystery Two Mystery One INFECTED - B2K1 
Starfy only has very niche popularity. It just never went mainstream.
\_(❀❀) _/
/ ◯◯ \
☄╯  ╰ シ

Old 25th April 2014, 12:30 PM
Most Missed Member '11 - '12

Total Awards: 8
SteamLink Verified Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Podcast Viva PiƱata TiP Mastery 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Yoshi View Post
I do not want generic mooks to be playable, even if it means the five Mario characters we have now are the only five. Once a series is properly repped, I don't really think it NEEDS more, especially when other series can get their chance in the spotlight. After this game, I imagine we'll have nearly every super iconic character available (most likely minus Ridley and maybe K. Rool), so now I want to see characters like Alexandra Roivas, Shulk, Saki, Starfy- Ones that people would love to play as and also represent new series for Smash Bros. I would honestly feel cheated if we started getting random mooks before unrepresented series.
Agree with this entirely. I don't like giving more popular series bogus reps just because they "deserve" more. That's why I hope Zelda never gets a rep again unless the series changes and introduces someone more consistent. Link - Zelda - Ganon. That's what makes sense. I absolutely hate Tingle, but if Zelda gets a new rep, I hope it's him, because he is at least a staple of the series.

It's not just popular series that have shoehorned characters in. Zero Suit Samus is anything but a necessity. She should be replaced with Ridley, and then Metroid should never get a rep again. No one else is significant to the series.

I want characters to be playable. There is only one Mario. There is only one Olimar. There is only one captain falcon. There are millions of Koopas, and they are all indistinguishable from each other.

User Tag List