Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > The Banjo Kazooie Series

The Banjo Kazooie Series General Discussion about the Banjo Kazooie series from the N64 classics to the handheld sequels & new Xbox games.

Old 21st May 2016, 09:16 AM
Glowbo

Every year the same story...

Every year it looks like that a new Banjo game is going to be announced at E3. In particular, the last year there were so many clues pointing in that direction, that my disappointment was huge when I saw Sea of Thieves (given that Banjo-Kazooie is my favourite game series ever).
But then again, here we are: it may be that Rare is working on another game other than SoT, and it may be a BK.

First clue, dated 17 July 2015:
Andy Bastable (a Rare programmer) said: "Brilliant couple of weeks at work. Prototype is playing ace, and we are having fun playing (and making) stuff. Go team!"
To the question of what game prototype, he replied: "That's the million dollar question... "
https://twitter.com/andybastable/sta...35936248377344
At the time, SoT was in development by one year or so, so I think it's hard to talk about a prototype. Moreover, Rare just finished working on Rare Replay, so for them working on two games at the same time is possible (with most of the team concentrated on SoT). And with the huge success of Yooka-Laylee's Kickstarter and Phil Spencer's passion for Rare's IP, it may be that they told "Let's do a Banjo platform!".

Second clue, dated 25 April 2016:
Grant Kirkhope said: "Today I shall be mostly working on something I can't talk about .... "
So, he's working on a secret project. As a historic Rare and BK composer, Kirkhope would be the first name for composing the OST for a new BK game. Moreover, he loves the series.
https://twitter.com/grantkirkhope/st...02384555495424

Third clue, dated 7 May 2016:
Grant Kirkhope again: "just finished writing a nice icy tune ....and no it's not for Yooka Laylee!"
And he liked some of the comments talking about Banjo-Threeie.
https://twitter.com/grantkirkhope/st...28562527739904

Finally, BK will turn 20 in 2018, so it's the right time for planning a game celebration for the anniversary.

Probably this all means nothing for a new BK, but hoping for an E3 announcement is, by now, a tradition.
What do you think?

Last edited by Refofa; 21st May 2016 at 01:58 PM.

Old 21st May 2016, 01:53 PM
Glowbo

Yes, and probably he would have written a way more excited post if it was for a new Banjo game (or, maybe, I didn't find it). But the BK series will turn 20 in two years, and it would be strange to me if they wouldn't celebrate it with a game, being it the most loved Rare saga. Surely it would be a new game and not a remake, given that they released the BK games with Rare Replay.
If a small group of people started working on it ten months ago, and the whole team will focus on it after the release of SoT, 2018 looks like an affordable release date. And, at E3, they could announce it with a trailer without gameplay like they did with Nuts & Bolts, if the game is still in an early development state... but showing it already could be too early (some games are announced only the year before their release).

Old 21st May 2016, 01:53 PM
DarkJinjo Dyrenzo

Total Awards: 13
You're Appreciated! Thread Starter SteamLink Verified Awesome Default Medal RWP Podcast 
I also think this might be the year we get a new BK announcement (though I do say this every year) it almost certainly has to happen eventually, hopefully we get lucky this E3!

Old 21st May 2016, 05:20 PM
Humba Wumba

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Similar to last year, I doubt we're getting a Banjo title. Though I'm surprised people still look forward to it after what's been done to Conker (especially the Hololens Conker thing). Though I suppose no matter what form Banjo eventually takes, if Kirkhope makes music for it, I'll have to get it.

Old 21st May 2016, 05:48 PM
Fired

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B2K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refofa View Post
Finally, BK will turn 20 in 2018
Oi, age hits you like a truck.

BT was set two years after BK, and NaB 8 years after that, so 2018 would be cool because it would be 20 years after Banjo-Kazooie, 18 after Tooie and 10 after NaB.

Also welcome to the forums.

Old 22nd May 2016, 09:23 AM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Banjonator View Post
Similar to last year, I doubt we're getting a Banjo title. Though I'm surprised people still look forward to it after what's been done to Conker (especially the Hololens Conker thing). Though I suppose no matter what form Banjo eventually takes, if Kirkhope makes music for it, I'll have to get it.
The Conker things are Microsoft ideas and Rare isn't involved in them. A full Banjo game made by Rare would be respecful, same for a Conker game. To me it would be ok even if they would give the licenses to other talented software houses, but not for experiments like happened till now.
However, Conker anniversary is near too. Banjo in 2018 and Conker in 2020 would be awesome. Rare has enough time for making both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyo76 View Post
Also welcome to the forums.
Thank you!

Last edited by Refofa; 22nd May 2016 at 09:53 AM.

Old 22nd May 2016, 03:40 PM
Glowbo

https://twitter.com/mingellasfella/s...63162137550849
In these post and comments dated 22-25 June 2015, Ed Bryan (Rare employee) says that he's animating a bear with a chiff and no name that can jump and do other things, but it's not for Banjo-Threeie. Could it be just an easter egg for SoT?

Last edited by Refofa; 22nd May 2016 at 04:13 PM.

Old 23rd May 2016, 04:52 PM
And re-eat sass

Total Awards: 23
You're Appreciated! Game On Reminiscence Rarity RWP Donator 
As much as I, a grown male in his mid twenties with a receding hairline, savings account and several thousand pounds of government debt, would like to hold on to the hope that Banjo Sequeliee will actually happen, it never will.

Old 23rd May 2016, 06:03 PM
Formerly Super_Nintendo6

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Trabajo View Post
Banjo-Threeie will be announced at E3 2016 at the Microsoft press conference.
Banjo-Threeie was already announced on September 26, 2006, and then released during November of 2008.

Old 23rd May 2016, 06:11 PM
Humba Wumba

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Ohhh let's get into another "Nuts and Bolts IS threeie and counts!" debate for old time's sake. I joined in the heat of that schism, it was glorious.

Old 23rd May 2016, 07:10 PM
And re-eat sass

Total Awards: 23
You're Appreciated! Game On Reminiscence Rarity RWP Donator 
It's the third game in the series and it's not a spin off. It's Banjo-Threeie. You'd have to be a moron with a ginormous sense of false pride towards a hardly remembered 90's video game series for the N64 to truly think that it wasn't.

What am I saying, I'm practically describing 90% of RWP members.

Old 23rd May 2016, 07:40 PM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 
banjo-kazooie had a better semi-recent video game entry than conker

Old 25th May 2016, 04:35 PM
Glowbo

Yesterday, one guy asked to Phil Spencer about a new BK and he replied: "I love the passion for Banjo. As you know, Rare is kind of busy right now.".
https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/735181777178742785

He wouldn't reveal a new game on Twitter, but the answer isn't promising anyway...

Old 26th May 2016, 11:55 AM
DarkJinjo Dyrenzo

Total Awards: 13
You're Appreciated! Thread Starter SteamLink Verified Awesome Default Medal RWP Podcast 
N&B was not called Banjo-Threeie, therefore it was not Banjo-Threeie. It may have been the third main installment in the series, and we may never get a 'Banjo-Threeie' because of that fact, but it is not Banjo Threeie by default, you know.

so suck it

Old 26th May 2016, 04:25 PM
North American Scum

Total Awards: 19
You're Appreciated! Swine Flu Bashful Game On Reminiscence 
Wasn't Nuts and Bolts also the fourth entry in the series? (Fifth, if you include Banjo Pilot)

User Tag List