Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss anything gaming related here. Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, PC, mobile, or even the Ouya!

Old 22nd April 2012, 08:31 PM
Glowbo

Why are arcade games harder then the home version?

Of the same game?

For example my favorite game is the Mr Do series especially the castle one where you are being chased by unicorns (very ugly ones at that) and you can defeat the level by either getting all the cherry blocks or knocking blocks on top of the unicorns with your trusty dusty hammer.

The game was ported to various systems and on all versions you hit keys that open up a door on the top with a shield inside that turns the unicorns to blue letters that spell the word EXTRA to get an extra Mr Do (life) which you have to hit the letters with your hammer in close range within a time limit which varies depending on which system you play it on.
In fact I was playing it on MAME and then watched a Commodore 64 version because I grew up playing it on the C64 first and noticed the game is not so fast paced on the C64.

An example would be when you get the shield in the arcade version you have maybe 5 seconds at the most while on the C64 version it's doubled to 10 seconds on watching a gameplay video on YouTube to compare versions.

Don't even get me started on the Atari version as the controls are messed up royal and the enemies don't even look like unicorns in the slightest! You can't even tell what blocks you are hitting unless you squint your eyes.

I cannot remember if it's in the home version but in the arcade if you are down to 1 enemy and leave him alone for a short while he will turn into a blue creature which you better get rid of right away or he will multiply until the entire level is filled with them and they move fast!

Mr Do looks a lot like Dig Dug where you dig thru dirt and collect the cherries where there is fruit that can block the path or you can hold onto it and when an enemy is moving up your path you let the fruit drop on them and the enemy has a home base in the middle where they live.

There is the letters EXTRA spelled on top of the screen and once in a while a letter starts walking around the field and you have a magic ball that you can hit enemies and letters with to either complete a level or spell out the word EXTRA to get a 1-up.

Also The Pacman series seem more forgiving on the home version too where you have more time when the ghosts are blue and they take more time to catch up to you as I've gotten slightly past screen 10 several times on the C64 game when I was little but on the arcade version I am lucky to get past stage 5 on any Pac-man game.

Does anybody know of any other arcade to home ports where the difficulty is changed?

Last edited by Kyle; 22nd April 2012 at 08:42 PM.

Old 22nd April 2012, 08:36 PM
Friend of Justice

Total Awards: 9
You're Appreciated! Awesome Default Medal INFECTED - B2K1 Imagination Game On 
It is so that you die more and the arcade gets more of your quarters.

Old 22nd April 2012, 08:38 PM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 
What Metal said. Money.

Old 22nd April 2012, 08:38 PM
Thread of the Year '10-'11

Total Awards: 22
You're Appreciated! Archery 2000 Trophy Puzzle Six Puzzle Five Mystery Four 
Arcade machines only turn a profit if a quarter is put in on average every 3 minutes. Arcade games are literally designed to kill you as quickly as possible.

Old 22nd April 2012, 08:45 PM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 17
You're Appreciated! Mystery Four Mystery One Thread Starter Imagination 
Thus, Nintendo Hard. Most of the early NES games were super hard, as they were direct arcade ports.

Buterflies are insex. ~TwilightVestige

Old 22nd April 2012, 09:11 PM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B2K1 
Home consoles weren't as powerful as arcade cabs until the Neo Geo, which was so expensive it doesn't really count, so let's just change that to Saturn.

Old 23rd April 2012, 06:01 AM
Most Underappreciated Member '11 - '12

INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 3 Participation Award 
Arcades want your money, home consoles do not (they already have your money*). Perhaps an argument could be made that home ports were made easier to make you believe that you were good, so that when you went to the arcade, you'd die a lot and wonder when you became so bad.

As GMG said, home consoles weren't as powerful as arcade hardware up until past the SNES/GEN days. Shortcuts had to be taken, which probably chopped off some of the difficult things in the originals to compensate. Take a look at the Atari 2600 copy of Donkey Kong. Or... Pac-Man...

*unless it's modern day, then there's DLC.

Old 23rd April 2012, 09:12 PM
Von Kriplespac

INFECTED - B2K1 
You think the Atari 2600 version of Pac-Man is a downgrade? What about this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0AzTf3RHlA

Old 23rd April 2012, 10:28 PM
Formerly GoldenJiggies

INFECTED - B2K1 
One reason. THEY WANT YOUR MAHNIEZ!

Old 23rd April 2012, 10:30 PM
Most Underappreciated Member '11 - '12

INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 3 Participation Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameMasterGuy View Post
You think the Atari 2600 version of Pac-Man is a downgrade? What about this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0AzTf3RHlA
I used to play that, along with Tetris, on my VMUs. Good times there (as in quick deaths and barely any reaction time). At least it wasn't an official release, however, it is a pretty nifty game to be coded as a homebrew effort.

There's an old handheld Tiger-like game I have somewhere of Pac-Man that was horrible. It was a line of classic arcade games they did, and the screen you looked at was actually a mirror. I'll have to dig it up later.

Old 23rd April 2012, 11:00 PM
Von Kriplespac

INFECTED - B2K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeek View Post
I used to play that, along with Tetris, on my VMUs. Good times there (as in quick deaths and barely any reaction time). At least it wasn't an official release, however, it is a pretty nifty game to be coded as a homebrew effort.

There's an old handheld Tiger-like game I have somewhere of Pac-Man that was horrible. It was a line of classic arcade games they did, and the screen you looked at was actually a mirror. I'll have to dig it up later.
My uncle has that game... your name wouldn't happen to be Kevin, would it?

Old 25th April 2012, 03:45 PM
Bunnycomb

Profit, Challenge and to attract hardcore gamers who will easily spend 5 dollars in change to be a winner. Think, if it's THAT HARD they will get aggro and wanna try beating it.

Old 27th April 2012, 01:30 AM
Glowbo

I've most noticed it on Cruis n Series where the home version you can get to first place easy and once you do your car is faster then all the other players but the arcade is an entirely different story.

The nearest arcade place for me is Bullwinkles Family Fun Center which on Tuesdays they have 12 dollar days that makes the upstairs video game room free play and me and Dad played games we never usually played such as a World WAR 2 game where one of the missions is to save the parliament from being bombed.

P.S Has anyone noticed that FireFox sometimes thinks you spell words wrong when you haven't?

Old 27th April 2012, 01:31 AM
Glowbo

Sounds like gambling which I thought was banned in most states.

If they are so into banning gambling why don't they go after these arcade companies to either make the games easier or ban them all together and only allow home versions?

Old 27th April 2012, 01:32 AM
Glowbo

It's actually the company that gets the money not the arcade facility. I learned that the arcade facility or pizza resturant has to pay rent to the company in order to allow the machine to be there.

User Tag List