Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > The Banjo Kazooie Series

The Banjo Kazooie Series General Discussion about the Banjo Kazooie series from the N64 classics to the handheld sequels & new Xbox games.

Closed Thread

Old 4th September 2005, 07:36 PM
Bunnycomb

Oh dear. Topic necrophilia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosma293
When I went to the 'beta' pipe I played around for a while, and suddenly, I felt like I just knew it was from G's Lair. Fancy just knowing its from there. Call me strange but thats just what I felt..
Well, it seems to be modelled directly from the JRL pipeline exterior. So, er, probably not.

Old 4th September 2005, 08:56 PM
Dingpot

I'm not sure if this has been said before, but could it be part of the pipe that is below the pipe leading to the Clankers Cavern entrance area? Those grates in the wall always bugged me...

Old 5th September 2005, 07:40 AM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MewChan
I would say "Why did you revive this?" but today, i'm nice.
Yeah, Sorry about that, I only noticed the last post date after I posted myself. :o
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo-Fella
Well, it seems to be modelled directly from the JRL pipeline exterior. So, er, probably not.
You're probably right, but like I said, I just felt it was from GL. Can't explain it

Old 5th September 2005, 09:41 AM
Bunnycomb

Most probably felt like it because of the colour scheme and textures.

Old 5th September 2005, 09:10 PM
Dingpot

Wow. I never noticed this topic. I would like to just say cool, but BAD HOSMA! And XD at Rare for 'Shouldn't Be Here Jinjo Family House'.

Old 5th September 2005, 09:35 PM
Bunnycomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosma293
You're probably right, but like I said, I just felt it was from GL. Can't explain it
Could be, but I came up with proof that I think's fairly definite earlier in the topic. That being this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo-Fella
It's absolutely definitely modelled off of the Jolly Roger's Lagoon pipe. Or vice versa, but that seems unlikely due to a number of reasons. Here's my proof.

First of all, here's an enlarged image of the pipe.
Large-scale Pipeline Picture

Right, after having a look at it, I decided to compare it with the inside of the JRL pipe that's actually used in the game. There are absolutely huge differences between the two. Firstly, the textures are completely different. Secondly, the version of the pipe that's used is much, much smaller (both in length and in girth). There's a mesh gate blocking you from reaching the very back of the pipe in the version now used. The sewage flows much quicker in the beta version. The small hole where you normally enter the pipe from JRL is actually modelled in a different way in both versions. There's an exit near the back, and most notably, a complete lack of that eerie glow seen in the beta version. Here are a few screenshots to show the similarities and differences between the two.

The back of the pipe
The back of the beta pipe

The front of the pipe
The front of the beta pipe

The side exit of the pipe
The side of the beta pipe where that side exit should be

The drop-off of the pipe
The drop-off of the beta pipe

The entrance of the pipe
The entrance of the beta pipe

The pipe with Bottles' Revenge active
The beta pipe with Bottles' Revenge active

So, you can see that both pipes are very similar, but also have obvious differences. If you need a reference to see exactly how much bigger the beta pipe is compared to the current one, the Bottles' Revenge pictures show that well. Oh, speaking of Bottles' Revenge, it deactivates itself here. Anyway, now to compare it with the outside of the JRL pipe.

The JRL pipe exterior

Aha! Now this is more like it. Though smaller than the beta pipe, it does have the same metal texture, and seems to have the same shape too. Using Banjo's bee transformation, I tried to get up inside the pipe to see if it had a similar shape. Unfortunately, it's sealed off at the base, although there is a small inner rim in the pipe (which is shaped suspiciously similar to the beta pipe's fall-off), which you can land on.

Inside the pipe's exterior model
Another shot inside the pipe's exterior model

Then, using Paint Shop Pro, I decided to paste an image of the beta pipeline over an image of the pipe's exterior. A perfect fit! Well, after a bit of rescaling, but the dimensions are still an absolutely perfect fit, even down to the rip of the entrance.

The definitive proof

So, as you can see, it seems the interior of the JRL pipe was originally modelled off of the exterior. It also used to lead to a different part of Grunty's Industries (considering there's no exit at the back, and the mesh is missing, letting you get to the back, which would seem like an alternate exit). Also, instead of pumping sewage into JRL, it used to pump what seems to be radioactive waste (this would explain the three-armed piglet a bit better). It's not surprising that the enterior was bigger than the interior, either, as Rareware commonly make proportionality errors (Mumbo's Hut, for instance). Judging by the differences between the current and beta pipe interiors, it seems the current one is actually modelled from scratch (you can tell by the differences in the shape and size of the entrance to it). Why exactly it was remodelled, retextured, and resized is a mystery, though.

Hope that's of some interest.

Last edited by Banjo-Fella; 5th September 2005 at 09:37 PM.

Old 9th September 2005, 07:11 AM
Jinjo

Total Awards: 1
RWP Note Medal 
Great observation! Thanks for putting your time into doing that.. interesting stuff.

Old 9th September 2005, 12:34 PM
Brash Breegull

*High Fives Banjo-Fella* Nice for figuring it out

Old 9th September 2005, 08:29 PM
Bunnycomb

Woo! Thanks. However, I did post that several months ago. Don't people read bottom-of-the-page posts any more?

Closed Thread

User Tag List