Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss anything gaming related here. Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, PC, mobile, or even the Ouya!

Old 16th April 2012, 04:27 AM
Formerly Chilli

Total Awards: 8
Bashful Imagination Game On Rarity Chatterbox 
That's such a weird glitch, and so random that it happens there.

Old 16th April 2012, 04:33 AM
I Wanna Be The Admin

Total Awards: 13
INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Wiki-Master Awesome Default Medal INFECTED - B1K1 
I love how when he goes for the killing blow, the puny little dagger doesn't even connect.

Old 16th April 2012, 02:56 PM
Thread of the Year '10-'11

Total Awards: 22
You're Appreciated! Archery 2000 Trophy Puzzle Six Puzzle Five Mystery Four 
The part that freaks me out the most is that when it warps you into the next room (which is a perfectly understandable switch trigger) it teleports you partway down the castle. This is fine; the game code freaked out and thought that leaving gohmas room took you there instead.

what doesn't make much sense is that when leaving THAT room instead of continuing down the castle (which you inevitably do later) it teleports you to the top of the castle (a room that doesn't actually exist within the games code) and then triggers the cutscene in which zelda escapes the crystal. No room exit trigger should take you there, defeating ganondorf does. this means that exiting that room sends the 'ganondorf just died' trigger; or rather 'just exploded ending that cutscene' trigger. A door did this. What.

Old 16th April 2012, 06:17 PM
Holy thunderforce

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B2K1 
^cutscenes are just like locations in these n64 kind of games (because they are in real time I guess? not really savvy on it). You can 'warp' to cutscenes in many games with gameshark codes and stuff. There's even another speedrun strategy that 'warps' you directly to the credit roll.

What I don't understand is the exact movements, starting with the warping in the lost woods, where he goes in the area without it loading completely, then performs some very specific jumps to get to the warp; likewise, after touching the warp thing post gohma, the steps taken (when the pausing occurs) are very specific, if you only need to open the door, why walk up to it in that specific manner?

Old 16th April 2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zy0n7 View Post
^cutscenes are just like locations in these n64 kind of games (because they are in real time I guess? not really savvy on it). You can 'warp' to cutscenes in many games with gameshark codes and stuff. There's even another speedrun strategy that 'warps' you directly to the credit roll.

What I don't understand is the exact movements, starting with the warping in the lost woods, where he goes in the area without it loading completely, then performs some very specific jumps to get to the warp; likewise, after touching the warp thing post gohma, the steps taken (when the pausing occurs) are very specific, if you only need to open the door, why walk up to it in that specific manner?
Games are done with switches and variables. When action X happens, switch A turns on. If switch A is on, then object 1 acts as ____. Variables are when you have X of an item, A happens, when you have Y of an item, B happens. His actions of using the bottles, to release and re-catch the bug, are triggering switches; that tell that door exit (which doesn't exist) to move to a new location.

edit: his pausing is also so he can get a precise moment in which to act upon something.

Old 16th April 2012, 06:26 PM
Holy thunderforce

INFECTED - B2K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Games are done with switches and variables. When action X happens, switch A turns on. If switch A is on, then object 1 acts as ____. Variables are when you have X of an item, A happens, when you have Y of an item, B happens. His actions of using the bottles, to release and re-catch the bug, are triggering switches; that tell that door exit (which doesn't exist) to move to a new location.
I do know about that.

The bottle is used so the game thinks it's an ocarina the very moment he touches the warp light, so he can 'stop playing' and move around out of it, nothing to do with the door. The glitch with the door has to do with the game having in memory the kokiri emerald cutscene and unexpectedly having it combined with the opening of the door loading a different area, probably the combination of those values equals that of the castle room.

And a cutscene or event is treated like a location in OoT.

Still don't understand how after using the 'ocarina' he needed to approach the door in that very specific way. I've watched other speedruns of this, including some already improved by the same guy, and the steps taken are always the same, walk, pause to turn at the exact frame, face wall at 90º, walk, open door still facing at 90º

Old 16th April 2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
I do know about that.

The bottle is used so the game thinks it's an ocarina the very moment he touches the warp light, so he can 'stop playing' and move around out of it, nothing to do with the door. The glitch with the door has to do with the game having in memory the kokiri emerald cutscene and unexpectedly having it combined with the opening of the door loading a different area, probably the combination of those values equals that of the castle room.

And a cutscene or event is treated like a location in OoT.

Still don't understand how after using the 'ocarina' he needed to approach the door in that very specific way. I've watched other speedruns of this, including some already improved by the same guy, and the steps taken are always the same, walk, pause to turn at the exact frame, face wall at 90º, walk, open door still facing at 90º
Camera angle change could perhaps cause something there; i'll look into this more later when i get a chance.

Old 16th April 2012, 07:49 PM
Honorary Most Underappreciated Member '10 - '11

Total Awards: 3
INFECTED - B2K1 INFECTED - B1K1 Thread Starter 
It's really cool how people can still find new cool stuff like this even in games as old as OoT. It's like when the Arwing was first discovered.

I just love insane glitches like this.

Old 16th April 2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Worm View Post
It's really cool how people can still find new cool stuff like this even in games as old as OoT. It's like when the Arwing was first discovered.

I just love insane glitches like this.
Yeah, the n64 era never stops giving <3

Old 16th April 2012, 09:14 PM
Formerly GoldenJiggies

INFECTED - B2K1 
Wow... that's a WHOLE lot faster than I beat OoT, which is never, so...

Old 16th April 2012, 09:19 PM
Von Kriplespac

INFECTED - B2K1 
Quote:
^cutscenes are just like locations in these n64 kind of games
Not N64 kinds of games, just N64 games. Due to using carts, it, unlike the PS1 and Saturn, could not use pre-rendered videos.

Old 17th April 2012, 02:40 AM
Holy thunderforce

INFECTED - B2K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameMasterGuy View Post
Not N64 kinds of games, just N64 games. Due to using carts, it, unlike the PS1 and Saturn, could not use pre-rendered videos.
I think not only n64 games did that I believe, plenty of games have used real time cutscenes, like for example GrandiaII on the Dreamcast/Ps2/PC comes to mind. I might be wrong on the way they work within the code though.

Also it potentially could, like with RE2.

Old 17th April 2012, 02:41 AM
Von Kriplespac

INFECTED - B2K1 
Whether or not it did or didn't, it could have. N64 games were flat out incapable of pre-rendered video.

Old 17th April 2012, 02:44 AM
Holy thunderforce

INFECTED - B2K1 
What about Resident Evil 2?

Edit: asked one of the speedruners during a live feed (during which btw the world record was broken again).

Turns out the jumps performed to clip through the lost woods warp are just a tried and safe method of getting link in the right position for getting the clip to occur.

Same for the backflips towards the blue warp, just to touch it ever so slightly. As for the weird pause thing and 90º, it's the sweet spot in which if you turn, the warp, for what the game is concerned, disappears form the field of view, and thus from the game itself so when you open the door it will get confused on the warp destination, otherwise you'd get sent to the kokiri emerald scene as the blue warp effect would still be occurring and have priority.

Last edited by Zy0n7; 17th April 2012 at 01:32 PM.

Old 18th April 2012, 01:24 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 17
You're Appreciated! Mystery Four Mystery One Thread Starter Imagination 
This is all enough amazing. Reminds me of the good old days with the Banjo hacks and stuff beta ness.

Buterflies are insex. ~TwilightVestige

User Tag List