Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss anything gaming related here. Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, PC, mobile, or even the Ouya!

Old 27th February 2015, 01:06 AM
On DKVine

Total Awards: 6
INFECTED - B2K1 Imagination Wiki-Master Rarity Awesome Default Medal 
Most Frustrating Game Moments

Holy shit do I have one to tell you guys about.

So I've been playing through Epic Mickey when I have time, and it's actually pretty good. Platforming is good, lots of sidequests and NPCs to interact with. Great story, great environments, and good music. I recommend it to anyone.

But holy shit this one part.

So I'm nearing the end of the game now and you finally get to go up against the Mad Doctor, who's sort of the second in command to the main villain. You don't actually fight the Doctor himself, but you get to fight his minions. I hate these things so much. Normally they show up and they're annoying but there's only like one or two of them and you can usually just run past them or avoid them in some other way rather than having to fight them. These are called Beetleworx, and you are pretty much forced to fight them during this battle and, depending on if you helped certain NPCs, the amount you have to fight changes.

There's a sort of morality system in the game and I've been playing the good guy because I'm a good person who doesn't like to upset virtual people. This is the only time in the game where I had to be the "bad guy," but that's mostly due to poor game design. In the game you're given the option to either befriend enemies or kill them. Beetleworx you can't befriend, but there's a good way and a bad way to deal with this fight. The good way is by use of random drop items, but the drop rate for these items is extremely low. Like the game will give you so many to work with, but once you're out, it's very unlikely that you'll come across more, especially not during the battle. You need about three I think, but you'll be lucky if you find one and it won't be the one you need.

So I have to fight these things and they are a bitch to fight. Beetleworx have several things that make them annoying:

1. They are faster than you
2. They take off a ton of health
3. They take a lot of hits
4. They have a regenerating shield
5. Some of them have to be hit in a certain spot and the window of opportunity to hit that spot is small
6. They all have significant knockback

So the area I'm given to work in is small, and I'm given three different ones to fight. Because of the small area, you are within their line of sight constantly so all three are gunning for you. And because they need to have their shields lowered and you have to wait for an opening, fighting them is a collosal bitch. You can't just lure one away and deal with it alone easily. In fact, I had to actually glitch the other two in order to beat them all. The glitching is random, but two variants happened: one where they were stuck in place but still attacked and could be attacked, and the other where they were stuck in place, but you could not take damage nor could you damage them, so the only way out was to kill yourself.

Other irritating things include wonky camera angles, a cutscene you can't skip, and the fact that the one with ranged attacks can dissolve parts of the floor for you to fall in and damage yourself.

Last edited by Twi; 27th February 2015 at 01:09 AM.

Old 27th February 2015, 01:21 AM
Quote of the Year '10 - '11

Total Awards: 5
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Chatterbox INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
The goddamn beetle in DK64. I don't think I've ever beat him, that fat cheating ****.

Also in DK64, the ****ing classic DK arcade game. That's the only thing keeping me from actually beating the game.

Old 27th February 2015, 01:31 AM
On DKVine

INFECTED - B2K1 Imagination Wiki-Master Rarity Awesome Default Medal 
Yeah same for me. I think I did good on the Animal Crossing version of Donkey Kong though.

Old 27th February 2015, 01:32 AM
Humba Wumba

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
The bullshit ranking system in Hyrule Warriors, oh and unblockable attacks that add to your damage counter which means you get a B instead of an A and you can't get the A rank item as a result meaning you just wasted like 15 minutes of your life

Old 27th February 2015, 03:23 AM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
Remember that one hell gauntlet before the Great Palace in Zelda 2? Well imagine if you didn't know that you could continue from the Great Palace entrance after a game over so you selected save each time. I also didn't know the trick for the Dark Link fight.

Old 27th February 2015, 02:39 PM
Honorary Most Underappreciated Member '10 - '11

INFECTED - B2K1 INFECTED - B1K1 Thread Starter 
Canary Mary. That is all.

Old 28th February 2015, 03:55 AM
Forever Mental

You're Appreciated! 
the mother ****ing god damn sand bird
makes me so ****ing mad i could choke a god damned newborn baby

Old 28th February 2015, 05:20 AM
Brash Breegull

INFECTED - B1K1 
http://www.gamasutra.com/db_area/ima...ueshellpic.jpg

Need I say more?

Old 28th February 2015, 06:10 AM
Jinjo

DKC2 animal antics... The flying portion comes to mind immediately.

Old 28th February 2015, 06:19 AM
Von Kriplespac

You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 Grey Note Medal 
Unhappy

Oh boy...
  • Triforce Shards quest in Wind Waker was ridiculously contrived and stupid. Kept me from going back and finishing it.
  • Fighting the Capra Demon on your first Dark Souls playthrough. Wouldn't be so bad except it's in a tiny little ****in' room, his attacks have horrendous reach and the bastard has an attack dog with him that can stun you.
  • Nova Prospekt in Half-Life 2. Turret defense after turret defense after ****ing turret defense. Not to mention the complex platforming and the ****ing Antlion Guard you have to fight.
  • When the game decides to be a dick and throws the Headless Horseman or Conquest at you on the first floor of a Binding of Isaac playthrough.
  • The process by which you collect the Silver Sword in Ys I. You have to talk to two giant trees at a specific point in the game after watching someone play the harmonica. There's next to nothing that alludes to this, but you need to do it to get the best sword in the game, otherwise it's next to impossible to beat the flying vampire boss in the mines.
  • Racing in the van in Sly Cooper. You control the vehicle with the left stick, which violates any common sense in terms of racing controls, and the computers blatantly cheat. Plus the physics had a tendency to screw you over every now and then if you so much as brush the side of a wall or go off a ramp the wrong way.
  • Fighting Polar Knight in Shovel Knight. The bastard can turn sections of the floor into spikes, which instantly kill you. Only one other boss has the capacity to kill you instantly via bottomless pits, but in that case, the pits stay in two predetermined spots and that doesn't happen until half the fight is over. Polar Knight, on the other hand, can just dig up insta-kill spikes anywhere he goddamn pleases.
  • Canary Mary was already mentioned, but I think I speak for the BK1 crowd when I say that Rusty Bucket Bay's engine room can go rightfully **** itself. And the propeller switch to get the jiggy in the rotors of the boat.
  • The wire-thin blood trail mazes in the nightmare levels of Max Payne. Suspended over an abyss that instantly kills you when you fall in, accompanied by the agonizing tortured screams of your dead wife and infant child. Beautiful.
  • Any kind of reappearing block jumping puzzle in Mega Man games. Drives me up a goddamn wall every time.
  • On the subject of Mario Sunshine... The Pachinko machine bonus stage, the Goopy Inferno Shine on Pianta Village, the Phantamanta boss fight, the ****ing leaf river bonus stage that takes twelve ages to get to, the goddamn boat ride in Corona Mountain... Sand Bird is easy for me by comparison to those cluster****s.

Last edited by Crystal Mech; 28th February 2015 at 10:48 PM.

Old 28th February 2015, 06:35 AM
Quote of the Year '10 - '11

Total Awards: 5
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Chatterbox INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMagicΓ View Post
DKC2 animal antics... The flying portion comes to mind immediately.
That, and the Squawks race near the end of the game. Last time I played DKC2 I got stuck there and called it quits.

Old 28th February 2015, 11:01 AM
Darth Dubzicus

You're Appreciated! Imagination Reminiscence Chatterbox INFECTED - B1K1 
Zelda Spirit tracks: That giant stone ghoma F**K
not only do you have to face a giant one but you have the smaller ones too, you have 2 chances to knock the small ones out or they will go right above you ( a place you can not hit them from) and land right on your train, the problem? THE GIANT ONE BLOCKS YOU FROM HITTING THE SMALLER ONES!!! so if you can't hit the smaller ones they'll hit you unavoidably wich will cause another one to hit you since by the time you're hit by the first one the other one will be blocked by the big one or the one that just hit you then it's the big guys turn

the damn flute I still have no idea how you're suppose to play it

Old 28th February 2015, 07:45 PM
Best New Member ('13 - 14)

Let's name the bosses that aren't completely retarded in Dark Souls.

Asylum Demon
Taurus Demon
Chaos Witch Queelag
Great Wolf Sif
Demon Firesage

That's it. That's all that aren't a complete and utter pain to fight.
EDIT: Although, getting to Sif is a pain because of the Forest Hunters covenant. So yeah.

Old 28th February 2015, 09:18 PM
Forever Mental

You're Appreciated! 
That one level in I-Ninja where you have to chase a bomb fuse.

**** that

Old 28th February 2015, 10:32 PM
Von Kriplespac

You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 Grey Note Medal 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terp View Post
Let's name the bosses that aren't completely retarded in Dark Souls.

Asylum Demon
Taurus Demon
Chaos Witch Queelag
Great Wolf Sif
Demon Firesage

That's it. That's all that aren't a complete and utter pain to fight.
EDIT: Although, getting to Sif is a pain because of the Forest Hunters covenant. So yeah.
I didn't find Pinwheel to be that hard. Then again, I didn't end up going to the Catacombs until well after I finished Anor Londo.

User Tag List