Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss anything gaming related here. Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, PC, mobile, or even the Ouya!

Old 19th March 2014, 01:27 AM
DarkJinjo Dyrenzo

Total Awards: 13
You're Appreciated! Thread Starter SteamLink Verified Awesome Default Medal RWP Podcast 
Greatest Nintendo Villain

Okay, so here is an idea I had to lighten up the place! In this thread here, you guys name your favorite villains from Nintendo games, I'll start the suggestions off with a couple of my own.

Once we get a bunch of names we can make a few polls and have mini character battles, kind of similar to the gamefaqs yearly tournament only on a much smaller scale. What do you guys think?

TOURNAMENT BRACKET

Nominees
Bowser (3D Mario games)
King K Rool (DKC, DKC2, DKC3, DK64)
Tom Nook (Animal Crossing)
Ganondorf (Wind Waker)
Ganon (A Link to the Past)
Master Hand (Super Smash Bros)
King Dedede (Kirby series)
Cackletta (Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga)
Louie (Pikmin 2, Pikmin 3)
Fawful (Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga)
Giovanni (Pokemon)
Dimentio (Super Paper Mario)
Girahim (Skyward Sword)
Wii Fit Trainer (Wii Fit)
Vaati (Minish Cap/Four Swords)
Lord Crump (Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door)
Rawk Hawk (Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door)
Giygas (Earthbound)
Wario (He's always the same, right?)
Tabuu (Super Smash Bros Brawl)
Andross (Starfox series)
Majora (Majora's Mask)
Yuga (A Link Between Worlds)
Agahnim (A Link to the Past)
Mother Brain (Metroid series)
Waluigi (waaa)
Gruntilda (Banjo Kazooie series)
Dr. Eggman (Sonic series)
Ridley (Metroid series)
Pious Augustus (Eternal Darkness)

Last edited by Derek; 24th March 2014 at 10:47 PM.

Old 19th March 2014, 01:54 AM
Funniest Member ('13 - '14)

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
I'm going to go with Wind Waker's incarnation of Ganondorf. Wind Waker showed us a side of Ganondorf we'd never seen before. Plus he was poetic, so points for that. I know it's the same Ganondorf in every game but Wind Waker was just so great with him. The other games showed him as more one-dimensional... and that was fine for the type of villain they wanted to portray and it worked and I still like Ganondorf in Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess, but I like Wind Waker more.

Old 19th March 2014, 02:05 AM
Formerly GoldenJiggies

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B2K1 
Master Hand, particularly from the perspective of the original Smash Bros. Master Hand is more than just a glove in the original Smash Bros, he is the almighty entity that controls the imaginary realm of fighting Nintendo plushies coming to life and duking it out. In other words, he is literally the hand of the child playing with these Nintendo toys, and in their imaginary state of being they are practically a god, believing themselves to be immortal, impenitrable, like their favorite superhero whom they aspire to be and have no experience or knowledge of being anything otherwise. Master Hand not only embodies the creativity of a child, but also the innocent yet selfish nature of one, who knows no better than to feel like death could never come and therefore raise themself to the level of a god before all of their toy subjects.

Old 19th March 2014, 02:12 AM
DarkJinjo Dyrenzo

You're Appreciated! Thread Starter SteamLink Verified Awesome Default Medal RWP Podcast 
I like the idea of including a specific game or timeline if your villain has multiple incarnates. Maybe we could see Wind Waker Ganondorf against aLttP Ganon or something crazy like that.

Old 19th March 2014, 02:12 AM
Dingpot

RWP Podcast 
Hah, Tom Nook be takin' everyone's damn money, that fiend...

Bowser has definitely seemed to be the most popular throughout the years being in such a long-lasting franchise. I guess he wouldn't be my most absolute favourite though for I don't know what reason...I mean Bowser is pretty cool and all, but I guess there's just something about him in some instances that doesn't make him feel like a complete super villain to me. Maybe just the big tough guy who likes to push people around a lot to entertain himself and make himself feel better, but that's about it. I like his shell though.

K. Rool seems like a really good choice to me. He's not really like Bowser who just pushes people around, seems more the purer type of evil to me. It's been a little while since I've stayed caught up with Mario games but I feel like even though Bowser has all his Koopas and baddies around him, he's not really trying to take over much of anything but really just wants to create havoc. K. Rool on the other hand seems like he's pretty intent on wiping out all Kongs so he can rule all.

Grunty is pretty high up there too, not sure which is better between her or K. Rool, but of course all that good ol' witchy black magic helps make her a little more evil. I guess that one would depend on the player's point of view as far as ethics go; one of the two evils is worse than the other: trying to take rule over the Kongs or kidnapping a friendly bear's sister to take her beauty. Of course, when that didn't pan out she started zombifying other characters, so...hmm. Although then eventually she was just a bitter old lady with a cat, so in retrospect maybe K. Rool would be more optimal.

Cackletta in Superstar Saga was a pretty fun villain. I think I was fond of that profound craziness she had to her, even more dramatic than Grunty in my opinion.

King Dedede was pretty awesome too. Even though he just seemed kind of another mean ol' tubby fella like Bowser, I think there was just something more fun about him as a villain. Maybe it was from watching many episodes of Kirby on TV back then. A little more story line just made him a little more memorable for me.

There's probably a bunch more villains/sub-villains/baddies that I could go and list off, but I've rambled on enough by now

Edit: Oh yes definitely Ganondorf. I kind of enjoyed Twilight Princess most personally. I think the general feel of the game just helps me like that version the best. Been quite a while...gotta go find a GC version on eBay though so I can stop waving my invisible sword with the Wii version.

Last edited by JazzPanther; 19th March 2014 at 02:15 AM.

Old 19th March 2014, 03:03 AM
Fired

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B2K1 
Gruntilda is actually a very good villain and really malicious. We learn a lot about her over time from her overworld taunts in Banjo-Kazooie to Brentilda's gossip (Even if they are only 1/3rd canon.) and her actions in Tooie. I know she might seem like a joke-villain at face value but truth be told she is pretty evil. Just a bit subtle. Perhaps I'll type up why she's so horrible later. (No offence Gruntilda.)

Old 19th March 2014, 04:02 AM
Humba Wumba

INFECTED - B1K1 
Oh this one will be an oddball, but Louie from Pikmin 2 + 3. He's introduced as Olimar's slow brother but ends up being the final boss of the second game. And while it's initially said he was under the influence of the giant bug, the journal entries imply that Louie can control bugs and that he purposefully tried to destroy Olimar. Same for the ending of Pikmin 3

Old 19th March 2014, 05:39 AM
Forever Mental

You're Appreciated! 
Is NOBODY going to discuss Dimentio?

god damn.

Old 19th March 2014, 05:50 AM
Darth Dubzicus

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! Imagination Reminiscence Chatterbox INFECTED - B1K1 
Fawful
Whose cause and cure lie ever out of reach."

Old 19th March 2014, 07:21 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 15
Mystery Four Mystery Three Mystery Two Mystery One INFECTED - B2K1 
Giovanni.. obviously

Haha naw, Ganondorf, he's just plain evil.
\_(❀❀) _/
/ ◯◯ \
☄╯  ╰ シ

Old 19th March 2014, 03:22 PM
DarkJinjo Dyrenzo

Ok, I've edited the list to include all nominees suggested so far. Please remember to cite the exact game or series your villain is from as it might be important in the long run.

Old 19th March 2014, 05:37 PM
Funniest Member ('13 - '14)

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
How could I forget Girahim from Skyward Sword? What a brilliant villain.

Old 19th March 2014, 06:40 PM
DarkJinjo Dyrenzo

What do you guys think about Eggman? Sega isn't Nintendo, but Eggman has been in Nintendo exclusives.

Old 19th March 2014, 08:42 PM
North American Scum

Total Awards: 19
You're Appreciated! Swine Flu Bashful Game On Reminiscence 
Wii Fit Trainer. That bitch just has nothing good to say.

Old 19th March 2014, 08:51 PM
DarkJinjo Dyrenzo

Huh. That's a strange take on an antagonist, but I can dig it.

User Tag List