Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic

Rare & Playtonic Discuss anything Rare related, from classic Rareware to the Golden(eye) era or even some of their later projects. If it's Rare it's here.

Old 16th August 2014, 05:01 PM
Jolly Rodger

Total Awards: 1
Viva Piñata TiP Mastery 
Phil Spencer discussing the future of Rare

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/...future-of-rare

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/microso...e#.U--OImM8Pqc

Quote:
Right now with Rare we're at a point where I don't want the Rare brand to mean Kinect Sports. The Rare brand can be more valuable to them, to us and to gamers than that... I don't see them as a 'certain genre' studio: their strength has always been in their diversity.

Old 16th August 2014, 05:18 PM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 15
Mystery Four Mystery Three Mystery Two Mystery One INFECTED - B2K1 
I just tried reading the ign comments section.

I think I lost some braincells just now.
\_(❀❀) _/
/ ◯◯ \
☄╯  ╰ シ

Old 16th August 2014, 05:59 PM
DarkJinjo Dyrenzo

Total Awards: 13
You're Appreciated! Thread Starter SteamLink Verified Awesome Default Medal RWP Podcast 
More good news, let the speculation on what the new game is begin!

Old 16th August 2014, 06:05 PM
Formerly Chilli

Total Awards: 8
Bashful Imagination Game On Rarity Chatterbox 
If it means buying a Kinect with an XBOX1, then it doesn't really matter. I hope they don't try to shoe-horn it into a new game at this point seeing as Microsoft has already unbound the two. It would be neat in a Viva-Piñata game, but not for what, over $100 extra.

Also, fully expecting it to be something starring the Avatars at this point. Avatar Platform-Adventure.

Old 16th August 2014, 06:16 PM
Humba Wumba

INFECTED - B1K1 
Now that they unbundled kinect I see nothing BUT kinect titles for Rare's future. If Rare doesn't shoehorn in that crap, no other developers will. They'll force rare since without them it would probably get zero support period.

Old 16th August 2014, 07:38 PM
Jolly Rodger

Viva Piñata TiP Mastery 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DementedSun View Post
If it means buying a Kinect with an XBOX1, then it doesn't really matter. I hope they don't try to shoe-horn it into a new game at this point seeing as Microsoft has already unbound the two. It would be neat in a Viva-Piñata game, but not for what, over $100 extra.

Also, fully expecting it to be something starring the Avatars at this point. Avatar Platform-Adventure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Banjonator View Post
Now that they unbundled kinect I see nothing BUT kinect titles for Rare's future. If Rare doesn't shoehorn in that crap, no other developers will. They'll force rare since without them it would probably get zero support period.
http://n4g.com/news/1476440/rare-no-...sic-franchises

Old 16th August 2014, 08:24 PM
Formerly Chilli

Total Awards: 8
Bashful Imagination Game On Rarity Chatterbox 
I'll believe it when they actually do it, and make a game without any Kinect support.

Old 18th August 2014, 08:02 PM
Clanker

Total Awards: 2
RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 
And he mentions he's a fan of their N64 days... a good sign! Basically the best we could hope for with Rare in its current state, under Microsoft.

Old 18th August 2014, 11:44 PM
Formerly Edward Rocks

I find it hilarious how Spencer has been head of Microsoft Game Studios for like a decade, is largely responsible for the tragic state of Rare, yet a lot of people are white knighting this guy to save Rare and Xbox from all evil. Guy is really a PR genius.

Quote:
"Right now with Rare we're at a point where I don't want the Rare brand to mean Kinect Sports. The Rare brand can be more valuable to them, to us and to gamers than that."
Yeah, and you only reached that point because your gimmicky piece of shit hardware is rotting on the ground and you have no other option. Very reassuring.

Right now with Microsoft and Rare I'm at a point where I'm so burned out with their direction that I find it hard to believe they'll make a non-kinect game even now that kinect is dead and buried. I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 19th August 2014, 03:20 AM
Jinjo

A year ago, Phil hinted to us about bringing back old IP games, he said Banjo is something everybody seems to like But, the last words he said was....... "The Kinect would be involved with it" that's the part where I lost all hope when I heard that.

Whatever Rare game there working on its probably just going to end up being some Spin off Rare game mixed together cause I don't see this new Rare game coming out perfect at all due to the crappy Rare Crew they have now. Rare's probably just going there own ways meaning they wont go the RareWare style. Instead it will be something completely different with what they will be good at. Though There really not good at anything. Its been over a decade and they still haven't delivered anything good to us. Im surprise this Company still exist Haha! It seems like were just going to have to see what they shove down are throat at next years E3, oh feck, its something bad I know it.

Last edited by project64banjo; 19th August 2014 at 01:52 PM.

Old 19th August 2014, 06:59 AM
Jolly Rodger

Viva Piñata TiP Mastery 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Rocks View Post
I find it hilarious how Spencer has been head of Microsoft Game Studios for like a decade, is largely responsible for the tragic state of Rare, yet a lot of people are white knighting this guy to save Rare and Xbox from all evil. Guy is really a PR genius.
He became the head of Microsoft Game Studios less than six months ago, not a decade ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by project64banjo View Post
A year ago, Phil hinted to us about bringing back old IP games, he said Banjo is something everybody seems to like But, the last words he said was....... "The Kinect would be involved with it" that's the part where I lost all hope when I heard that.
This was before Kinect Sports Rivals flopped and thus, before they ditched Kinect. Moreover, it wasn't Phil Spencer to state that, but Rare developers.

And I think they were talking about the KSR DLC, which included Rare classic franchises with Kinect.

Quote:
Its been over a decade and they still haven't delivered anything good to us.
Conker L&R, Kameo, PDZ, Viva Pinata 1 and 2, Jetpac Refuelled and BK: Nuts & Bolts all came out less than a decade ago.

Last edited by Walecs; 22nd March 2015 at 07:08 PM.

Old 19th August 2014, 01:40 PM
Jinjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walecs View Post
He became the head of Microsoft Game Studios less than six months ago, not a decado ago.

This was before Kinect Sports Rivals flopped and thus, before they ditched Kinect. Moreover, it wasn't Phil Spencer to state that, but Rare developers.

And I think they were talking about the KSR DLC, which included Rare classic franchises with Kinect.

Conker L&R, Kameo, PDZ, Viva Pinata 1 and 2, Jetpac Refuelled and BK: Nuts & Bolts all came out less than a decade ago.
Im talking about when Rare first joined Microsoft. All there games failed, Live & Reloaded was only a port so nothing surprising there, we should of had a sequel instead. PDZ was a pathetic sequel, did you really like that game? cause it didnt even get close to being as good as the original. Viva Pinata is garbage, Nuts & Bolts wasn't even a Banjo game. Nuts & Bolts was the game that killed Banjo just incase you haven't noticed.

Last edited by project64banjo; 19th August 2014 at 01:43 PM.

Old 19th August 2014, 02:00 PM
DarkJinjo Dyrenzo

You're Appreciated! Thread Starter SteamLink Verified Awesome Default Medal RWP Podcast 
Quote:
I have very shitty opinions
shut up, you tool. You don't dictate which games are 'garbage' and which games are not. Many people like the games you cited.

Old 19th August 2014, 02:11 PM
Jinjo

Derek name one Microsoft Rare game that was better then the N64 RareWare games. Exactly, my opinions are acceptable. With what you posted is you trying to make me look like garbage when Im only speaking the truth.

Last edited by project64banjo; 19th August 2014 at 02:17 PM.

Old 19th August 2014, 02:15 PM
DarkJinjo Dyrenzo

Viva Pinata is legions better than most of their N64 games. N&B is better than most of their N64 games. You aren't speaking the truth, you are stuck in the past.

User Tag List