Grunty's Furnace Fun
From RWP Wiki
Grunty's Furnace Fun is the first of Gruntilda's trademark quizzes, which crops up at the end of Banjo-Kazooie. It takes place on a game board suspended above a pool of lava. At the end of the board is a podium where Gruntilda stands, a giant screen containing the Furnace Fun logo, and a prize stand which holds Tooty for first place, a washing machine for second, and a one-eyed Grunty doll for third.
The board track is divided into squares, each of which bears a pictorial symbol corresponding to the type of question it entails. The question types are:
- General - miscellaneous general knowledge about the game (signified by a picture of Banjo and Kazooie)
- Visual - a picture of an in-game location, usually seen from an odd angle, must be identified (signified by a picture of an eye)
- Sound - either music from the game or a character's voice is played, and must be identified (signified by a picture of a Musical Note)
- Grunty - a personal question about Gruntilda, based on information given by Brentilda earlier in the game (signified by a picture of Gruntilda)
- Timed - the player is transported to one of Banjo-Kazooie's mini-games and must complete it within a strict time limit (signified by a picture of a stopwatch)
- Sudden Death - will ask a question from any of the above categories, an incorrect answer will kill the player immediately (signified by a picture of a skull)
- Joker - will ask a question from any of the above categories, a correct answer wins the player a Joker card (signified by a picture of Banjo in a jester's hat)
The aim of the game is to progress from one end of the board to the other. To pass a square, the player must answer the question correctly. An incorrect answer means that Banjo loses a honeycomb (except in the case of Sudden Death squares). The track splits into several junctions along the way, giving the player the opportunity to strategize.
Joker cards can be used to skip squares. However, winning a joker card often requires going out of your way, and it is not always worth it. Joker cards tend to get played on sudden death spaces (or Gruntilda spaces, if the player has been negligent of Brentilda throughout the game).
When Banjo and Kazooie win Grunty's Furnace Fun, Grunty runs off to the top of the tower, and force the player to watch the staff credits as Banjo and Kazooie take Tooty home.