PDA

View Full Version : Twelve Tales: Conker 64

Bottles98
30th April 2008, 01:30 PM
I was thinking about this game earlier, and decided to look around IGN. After reading this preview (http://ign64.ign.com/articles/122/122154p1.html) for the game, I'm kind of a little sad that we lost it. Don't get me wrong, I love Bad Fur Day (it's even in my top 5 N64 games), but this just seems like it would have been really cool as well.

The thing that stuck out to me the most reading that, I think, is the two-player co-op ability and the fact that Conker and Berri would have had apparently slightly-varied adventures, depending on who you chose to play as in single player.

I'm about to go look through some old Nintendo Power issues and read more about the game, for the hell of it.

Anyway...ITT: Discuss what could have been with Conker, Twleve Tales: Conker 64.

BanjoPL
30th April 2008, 01:32 PM
This would be great game like Banjo-Kazooie,Donkey Kong 64 and Banjo-Tooie.
Visit www.64dd.net and www.unseen64.net for Conker 64 stuffs.

Bottles98
30th April 2008, 01:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEuFNl4s9yI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjU6hokD9jk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdZcoedeQM8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYDylH1ueks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNuIKBgZMcw

Man...the game really seems like it was pretty far along by the time it was scrapped.

BanjoPL
30th April 2008, 01:43 PM
Conker 64 was show on E3 1998.
When Rare cancelled this game? In 1999 or in 2000?
In polish magazine Neo Plus there was preview of Conker 64 in April 1999 and in Banjo-Tooie preview from Febuary 2000 there was said that Conker 64 "maybe will cancelled"

Bottles98
30th April 2008, 01:46 PM
From what I can find, it was announced to be replaced by CBFD very early in 2000.

This is the kind of game that makes me wish the Rare community had someone like drx (of the Sonic community) who is able to acquire prototypes of games...a prototype of TTC64 would be amazing.

BanjoPL
30th April 2008, 01:49 PM
Yeah this would be great like O.D.T release in 2005 and 40 Winks in 2008.
Conker 64,Enternall Darkness,Resident Evil:Zero and Dinosaur Planet waiting :P

Bottles98
30th April 2008, 01:57 PM
Well, I'm not saying I'd give up BFD for the sake of having it, but I still think it would have been kind of cool.

BanjoPL
30th April 2008, 01:59 PM
Typical N64 platformer :P
On videos we can see that there was great levels and good music.

Hakey Wake
30th April 2008, 02:39 PM
I think...it must've been completed or at the very least, ridiculously close to being finished, does seem polished doesn't it?

I heard that DKR was to introduce us to Rare's (at the time) cast of characters (many of which were spawned from Project Dream) to allow for a greater sense of familairity when their individual games were released. See Banjo & Conker specifically, but also, I think there may have been a Timber-oriented game planned too...:thinking:

At least we still Have Pocket Tales I suppose. :p

ConkerTribe
30th April 2008, 02:43 PM
This may have been one of the stupidest things Rare has ever done, in my opinion.

I mean, if they wanted, they could have made an adult Conker later on. They could have put it on the Xbox when they were bought out (not that they knew they'd be bought out, but I'm just saying it would have been for the better if they just released Twelve Tales). Jesus.

Don't get me wrong. I love Conker's Bad Fur Day... Just saying, the game was damn near completion! Why chuck the whole thing away?

Koopaboy
30th April 2008, 02:49 PM
This game could kick serious ass....really a shame it turned to Bad fur day.It would rock if Rare would release Twelve tales on XBLA :D

Bottles98
30th April 2008, 03:15 PM
Yeah, what makes the least amount of sense to me is the fact that they COMPLETELY scrapped it in favor of Bad Fur Day. Surely they could have made both, especially with how far along TT seems to have been?

I heard that DKR was to introduce us to Rare's (at the time) cast of characters (many of which were spawned from Project Dream) to allow for a greater sense of familairity when their individual games were released. See Banjo & Conker specifically, but also, I think there may have been a Timber-oriented game planned too...:thinking:
Yeah, I think that's how it was. Also, a Timber game would actually make sense. Wasn't it Timber's Island that Wizpig was terrorizing in DKR?

Koopaboy
30th April 2008, 03:34 PM
Yeah, I think that's how it was. Also, a Timber game would actually make sense. Wasn't it Timber's Island that Wizpig was terrorizing in DKR?

Yes it was Timber's island.The game was meant to be called just Timber 64...

Klungo
30th April 2008, 05:55 PM
This game was to be Conker's Pocket Tales in 3D. That would have been pretty fun. Conker's Bad Fur Day was a good game, but the actual gameplay was somewhat weak. If it weren't the crude humor, I feel that the game wouldn't have gotten as much praise.

Soulreaper41392
30th April 2008, 07:09 PM
I've honestly always thought this game looked amazing...damn, I wish we had it. I still love BFD, but I really wish this had come out too.

One thing I find irritating, however, is the music.

L-Button
30th April 2008, 07:20 PM
The game itself looks amazing, I love BFD, and I know I would love TT, too, but that won't happen...

Bottles98
30th April 2008, 07:26 PM
You know, they should have included the remains of this as a bonus on Live & Reloaded.

THAT would have been badass.

(Any possible Nintendo references removed of course)

DeLMrcs
30th April 2008, 08:49 PM
Just in case you don't know, Rare changed the game to BFD because they grew tired of the "cute animal platformer" comments they were getting.

ConkerTribe
30th April 2008, 10:56 PM
Processing reason in database...

INVALID REASON. DOES NOT COMPUTE.

J@mie
2nd May 2008, 06:40 AM
Do you think that maybe, because it looks so complete, they might have made some carts, so someone will have one, somewhere?

Chell65
2nd May 2008, 08:11 AM
Glad to see there's an active thread on this!

I've been searching for this recently in the prototype, beta, and other rare stuff scenes. So far the only talk of an actual cart is a confirmed hoax.

Supposedly Rare is incredibly tight-lipped and locked-down with this kinda stuff. Afaik there haven't been any leaks from them ever.

I won't ever stop looking though. After the 40 Winks dump that happened a few months ago I've been given new hope.

SuperBK25
3rd May 2008, 06:54 PM
Maybe it have been then CBFD, you know with the kids

BlueytheWalrus
3rd May 2008, 07:01 PM
How can you not like the amazing music?

TT was almost completed when Rare said "You know, let's make an adult game". Sadly Rare was acting stupid and instead of spending a couple more months on TT and then release it, they threw it away. It would have been epic, even more so than BFD in my opinion.

Also, Timber 64 was started for like a month, then they got bored with it. Bumper and Pipsy were supposed to be supporting characters too.
Infact here's an article from the Super Mario Wiki.

Hmm, it says barely any pictures...is Rare hiding something from us?

http://www.mariowiki.com/Timber_64

RichChap
13th May 2008, 08:49 PM
I think it'd be awesome if rare finished this up a little bit, and just put it on live arcade for the fans or something. Very unlikely though. It's not like rare or microsoft.

Solid Snix
15th May 2008, 01:58 PM
The reason (I heared) that Rare changed it was because they thought no one would buy it beacuse Rare has already made several "children's games".

KazooieKlunkz
15th May 2008, 08:57 PM
Two-Player Cooperative Quest
In cooperative mode, players can control Conker and/or his owl companion. Working together through levels, Conker's owl side-kick (controlled by one player) will be able to pick the squirrel up and fly him safely to hard to reach areas. Likewise, Conker can help the owl out in time of need. Players can also spread out, completing certain objectives on their own. Imagine what Super Mario 64 would have been like had Luigi been a selectable player in two player mode. This is truly the next step in multiplayer gaming on Nintendo 64.

I think THAT would have been sweet.

Yes, this game would have been pretty damn cool to have, but BFD is still pretty kick-ass.

Timboid
15th May 2008, 10:09 PM
The reason (I heared) that Rare changed it was because they thought no one would buy it beacuse Rare has already made several "children's games".

No, I think it was because there were too many "kiddy" games on the N64 at the time, and that the game would get lost in the sea of other kiddy games.

I too enjoyed Bad Fur Day a lot, and I'm glad it got released, but I wish we could've played Twelve Tales too. It was almost done, so there HAVE to be some prototypes out there. I'm currently in a quest to find one.

The Farsight
15th May 2008, 11:38 PM
The game looks WAY too childish. Something in-between TT and BFD would have been best, I think...

samf
18th May 2008, 06:27 AM
BFD was sick! I'd much rather have it than this, this reminds me of DK64 for some reason, prolly just the mushroom level place. BFD may have had worse gameplay in the beginning, but it really picked up as the game progressed.

John
19th May 2008, 03:09 AM
I think that game looks like it would have been good, but not at the BK level of greatness. Still, it probably would have caught my attention in a way BFD failed to do. I've avoided that game so far because I don't like having crude immature humor thrown in my face. The Banjo games had some, but it was very subtle. Maybe I should try it out though considering how many people are saying it's in their top list for the N64. Should I?

BlueytheWalrus
19th May 2008, 03:16 AM
It's good. Would Twelve Tales be better? Yes. Yes it would have.

Ubersuntzu
25th May 2008, 03:37 AM
It's good. Would Twelve Tales be better? Yes. Yes it would have.

I doubt that. For the most part, the footage shows some really boring and uninspired levels and gameplay. The coolest part is when Conker is balancing on a barrel, which was reused in BFD. Honestly, it looks to be on the same level as Bubsy 3D.

BlueytheWalrus
25th May 2008, 04:02 AM
I'm sorry, but 4 humongous worlds, 7 vehicles, and the ability to play as both Conker and Berri would have been amazing! Even better than BFD in my opinion. Even though BFD was fun.

xxjoesusxx
25th May 2008, 04:34 AM
I doubt that. For the most part, the footage shows some really boring and uninspired levels and gameplay. The coolest part is when Conker is balancing on a barrel, which was reused in BFD. Honestly, it looks to be on the same level as Bubsy 3D.

I agree, Bad Fur Day was great, it was new material and it wasnt the same reused cutesy platforming stuff that so many of rare's other games did.

BFD is great just the way it is, and if twelve tales was any good what so ever, it wouldn't of been trashed and rebuilt.

Ubersuntzu
26th May 2008, 10:59 AM
I'm sorry, but 4 humongous worlds, 7 vehicles, and the ability to play as both Conker and Berri would have been amazing! Even better than BFD in my opinion. Even though BFD was fun.

1. We already had 7 worlds in CFD (Windy the Hub World, Barn World, Tower World, Poop World, Cave World, Spooky World, and War World. It's just that unlike Banjo, they were broken up into smaller levels instead of 1 big map for each one.

2. We're getting much better vehicles in Nuts & Bolts.

3. Berri would have been cool (either version), but she's hardly a deal breaker for me. She probably would have played nearly identically to Conker anyway, who himself looked he played like Banjo with no Kazooie.

Anyway, while I'm sure I would have played and enjoyed TT, for me personally, it just doesn't seem like it had much to offer that couldn't be done with the Banjo games. Whereas Conker's BFD works really well as a unique franchise.

RNHornets
30th May 2008, 02:13 PM
Also, Timber 64 was started for like a month, then they got bored with it. Bumper and Pipsy were supposed to be supporting characters too.
Infact here's an article from the Super Mario Wiki.

Hmm, it says barely any pictures...is Rare hiding something from us?

http://www.mariowiki.com/Timber_64

When I end up working for Rare (and believe me, I will :P), I'm forcing them to start this game again for whatever Microsoft console is out :P

Ell
28th June 2008, 05:21 AM
Don't mean to beat a dead horse or anything, but I found this thread while searching for info on a leaked final beta of the original Conker 64. I myself have searched and searched and searched, starting quite a while ago, but today I randomly started up again after a few month break.

As far as Rare being tight-lipped goes...let's just say I emailed the lead software engineer of the Dinosaur Planet project, and that it didn't go over too well :-/ Nick Burton certainly did not feel like talking.

What I know is that Chris Seavor led up this project and that he's said next to nothing about it, and the only reason anyone can come up with would be the speculation that Rare just didn't want another "kiddie" platformer (which I think it correct, even though I still would've loved TT over CBFD).

Does anyone think it at all possible that we could contact him? I've tried looking him up before, but to no avail. Still, there's gotta be SOME way to get a hold of him. Maybe we could see what the chances are of getting some play time on this baby.

DeLMrcs
28th June 2008, 02:01 PM
You can always try Rare's Scribes, just say the name of who you want to talk to so that LoveDay (scribes) can hopefully get in contact with them. Now thats assuming your message makes it through.

BlueytheWalrus
28th June 2008, 05:25 PM
When I end up working for Rare (and believe me, I will :P), I'm forcing them to start this game again for whatever Microsoft console is out :P

Oh dont be so sure.

Rare just didn't want another "kiddie" platformer
Then why did they start on it? And why did they continue til it was certainly 80-90% done? And why did they make it so kickass? This is the only time that Rare was stupid in their history.

runehero123
28th June 2008, 07:16 PM
This game would have been awesome. I actually did quite a bit of searching on this game a couple months ago, and actually read the Nintendo Power previews on it. Also, whoever said that CFBD had the worlds split up into smaller sections, think about this.

It's called "Twelve Tales" because there are 3 Tales(Sections) for each world.

2. We're getting much better vehicles in Nuts & Bolts.

I'm sorry but you can't compare BK N&B to a game that is around 10 years old.

3. Berri would have been cool (either version), but she's hardly a deal breaker for me. She probably would have played nearly identically to Conker anyway, who himself looked he played like Banjo with no Kazooie.

Conker's gameplay would have been more "arcade" style, whereas Berris would have been more strategy based.

Ell
29th June 2008, 12:41 AM
Then why did they start on it? And why did they continue til it was certainly 80-90% done? And why did they make it so kickass? This is the only time that Rare was stupid in their history.

I know it doesn't make any sense. That's why no one understands. That's what everyone wants to know.

xxjoesusxx
29th June 2008, 03:09 AM

Think to what Rare recently said about bk3, the game was technically two different banjo kazooie games before it became nuts and bolts, both of which were far along before the concept was canned.

Sometimes really really bad games get pushed and pushed and eventually get close to finished before people realize the game isn't great.

Overhauling Conker is just like how they overhauled banjo, and Rare was not stupid for that, they knew the game wasn't worth being released so they canned it.

Nobody here can say the game would of been great, but we can know for a fact it was trash because otherwise they wouldn't of thrown it out.

Ell
29th June 2008, 03:28 AM
That's like saying Santa Claus must be real because my parents say he is.

I think it's quite possible that the game sucked, but to me, this wasn't Rare's only mistake. Both Conker and Dinosaur Planet/SF Adventures were failures in my opinion, though they could've been great (and this is coming from a HUGE SF fan :P).

Loser Conker
29th June 2008, 03:50 AM
Does anyone think it at all possible that we could contact him? I've tried looking him up before, but to no avail. Still, there's gotta be SOME way to get a hold of him. Maybe we could see what the chances are of getting some play time on this baby.

Hate to crush your dreams, but you have a better chance of playing Conker 2: Getting Medieval on your 360 this summer than playing Conker Twelve Tales; the only way we'd get to play it is if an employee releases the ROM online. (I'm in the same boat as you: I keep dreaming that Rare will release the N64 Project Dream ROM, or at least a video, online, so I could see how the Banjo Team would've made an awesome Action-Adventure game. *sigh*) Also, Seavor hates the Conker franchise and wants nothing to do with it.

As far as Rare being tight-lipped goes...let's just say I emailed the lead software engineer of the Dinosaur Planet project, and that it didn't go over too well :-/ Nick Burton certainly did not feel like talking.

I'm sorry, and I know it's rude of me, but what did his reply say? For some reason, whenever I read that post, I keep imagining that reply from Nick Burton being a virtual Howler! :p

Ell
29th June 2008, 08:23 PM
Heck, I don't mind sharing the email with you :P This is his reply right here, from January 22 of this year:

I’m sorry Elliot I cannot discuss this with you as the details of the transition of DP into SFA are between Rare and Nintendo. You never know, in time we may decide to release information relating to this but when/if we do it will be our decision and not based on a request. Can I please ask where you got my contact details from?

Kind regards,

NickB.

Elliot's me (hence 'Ell'). After that I told him where I'd gotten his email (it was from some web archive from like 2002 or something), and he never replied back. He seemed pretty miffed that I was able to get his contact info and more so because I used it to ask about DP (what is it with Rare and this top secret crap, anyways?). Either way, it didn't go over well.

Hate to crush your dreams, but you have a better chance of playing Conker 2: Getting Medieval on your 360 this summer than playing Conker Twelve Tales; the only way we'd get to play it is if an employee releases the ROM online. (I'm in the same boat as you: I keep dreaming that Rare will release the N64 Project Dream ROM, or at least a video, online, so I could see how the Banjo Team would've made an awesome Action-Adventure game. *sigh*) Also, Seavor hates the Conker franchise and wants nothing to do with it.

*sigh* I know, I know. It makes me sad TT__TT But I do wonder exactly WHY he hates the Conker franchise. Do you think that it's because he doesn't like how it turned out and maybe regrets changing it from Twelve Tales? Perhaps.

To me it's not necessarily about needing them to leak it RIGHT NOW (because it'll be years if it ever even happens, probably, what with my luck), it's just the need to know that it does indeed exist and that it's POSSIBLE that we'll see it. Hell, if Rare can make a DKR remake for DS now that they work for Microsoft, there's nothing that says they couldn't put TT on the DS (not that that would ever happen, but it's at least possible).

conker_re
29th June 2008, 10:42 PM
I would have preferred that Rare made both games I loved Bad Fur Day, but Twelve Tales looked interesting as well I would have loved playing Twelve Tales multiplayer and story.

BlueytheWalrus
30th June 2008, 01:56 AM
Think to what Rare recently said about bk3, the game was technically two different banjo kazooie games before it became nuts and bolts, both of which were far along before the concept was canned.

Sometimes really really bad games get pushed and pushed and eventually get close to finished before people realize the game isn't great.

Overhauling Conker is just like how they overhauled banjo, and Rare was not stupid for that, they knew the game wasn't worth being released so they canned it.

Nobody here can say the game would of been great, but we can know for a fact it was trash because otherwise they wouldn't of thrown it out.

Actually Joe, the game was said to be terrific by everyone who played the demo. IGN said that the game was amazingly fun, and would be as good as Banjo-Kazooie or even better. But Rare fretted that everyone would consider it just "another platformer". I'm just saying "why not release the game when it was so close to being finished?" especially since the game was considered so great by people who played the demo?

NeoConker
30th June 2008, 03:02 AM
If BFD never existed, then one of the best multiplayer modes ever wouldn't have either.

Klungo
1st July 2008, 12:54 AM
I'm really bumbed about this game right now. A sequel to Bad Fur Day would ease the pain for all of us. I'll bet that if enough of the fans request one, Chris Seavor will have to at least listen, regardless of his personal preferences. If you're reading this Rare, take note.

Timboid
2nd July 2008, 07:10 PM
I'm really bumbed about this game right now. A sequel to Bad Fur Day would ease the pain for all of us. I'll bet that if enough of the fans request one, Chris Seavor will have to at least listen, regardless of his personal preferences. If you're reading this Rare, take note.

Yes, I want a Bad Fur Day sequel badly....

I'm getting an Xbox 360 soon, though, so Live & Reloaded will satisfy me for a while once I get it.

DarkMatter
22nd July 2008, 05:31 PM
Not sure there's a real need for us to get Twelve Tales. Judging from the few videos that exist, many gameplay elements of Twelve Tales were brought over to Bad Fur Day anyway.

The co-op gameplay would have been interesting, but I think Bad Fur Day is as close as any of us are going to get to Twelve Tales.

YUM
24th July 2008, 11:51 PM
rofl, what if they did this to nuts and bolts

xxjoesusxx
25th July 2008, 01:28 AM
Actually Joe, the game was said to be terrific by everyone who played the demo. IGN said that the game was amazingly fun, and would be as good as Banjo-Kazooie or even better. But Rare fretted that everyone would consider it just "another platformer". I'm just saying "why not release the game when it was so close to being finished?" especially since the game was considered so great by people who played the demo?

thats a good point too, i was only really basing my statement on logic, not any real previews or anything.

NeoConker
25th July 2008, 08:16 AM
Would you rather have throwing sticks and stones in multiplayer or having 9 different modes, one were you have to pull off a bank heist. And also, Conker's BFD has a way better story then "OMG THEY TOOK OUR PRESENTS LETS GO GET ACORNS AND THROW IT AT THEM." And the graphics? You better be kidding me saying those are good, it looks like what my sister does on a coloring book. And the levels were uninspired and looked like generic grass level, underground level, ancient level, desert level. I would rather have the farm level, crap level, prehistoric level, big tower level, Dracula level (OK maybe not, that level creeped me out,) saving private Ryan level, and bank heist level (best game level ever, period.)

Twelve Tails shouldn't have been scrapped, but if it got into the way of he production of BFD, then it was a worthy sacrifice.

Twelve Tails fan boys, you may now flame me.

Crystal Mech
28th July 2008, 06:34 PM
All I can say is that I totally agree with neoconker on this one. What the mother*****. That's all I have to say. CBFD was near genius, with it's humorous dialogue and fun gameplay, while on the other hand Twelve Tales was... weird. I'd rather shoot someone's head off then throw acorns at it, kinda like neoconker said. I was getting tired of the same old "kiddish" fad, too, and I'm glad they released BFD instead, because it felt more "imaginative," unlike TTCC, which looked like a clone of everything else. If Conker wasn't real, we'd be stuck with unhumorous kid games and seemingly repetitive levels.

To sum things up, Bad Fur Day was a parody of himself, what he'd almost become.