The Rare Witch Project Forums

The Rare Witch Project Forums (https://www.therwp.com/forums/index.php)
-   Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop (https://www.therwp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   More DK64 Beta Stuff (https://www.therwp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28655)

runehero123 24th April 2009 08:57 PM

More DK64 Beta Stuff

I managed to locate a few more beta items in the kiosk version of DK64. Most of these are freeze digits in the final version. First, allow me to point out the most important objects in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDPo0gVClbk

1:27 - This appears to be a tree stump(located in fungi forest obv) with doors containing all the kong faces on it.
1:40 - Giraffe head. Not sure where this would have been used. Probably angry aztec or fungi forest. I'm guessing it would be a target that you'd have to shoot at.

1:54 - Appears to be a switch with a picture of DK on it.

2:03 - I'm pretty sure I've loaded this up as part of a cut-scene before. It may be a beta area in frantic factory.

3:02 - I remember there was a beanstalk with a face. But this doesn't appear to have one.

3:20 - This is very interesting. In the final version of the rom, this object is a big picture of DK Isles. However, in the kiosk version, it's a picture of some giraffes. Maybe it was used in the same room those giraffe heads would be located.

3:26 - And here we have a beta picture of the DK Isles from Donkey Kong Country. Was this the original plan for DK Isles in DK64?

Now, we aren't done yet. I've also located the map setup files in the DK64 kiosk rom, and noticed that there's alot less data in some of the maps (indicating they were still in the early stages of production).

Here are all the objects in the "Outside DK's House" area:

2 - 0x006C Palm tree objects
1 - 0x006E Palm tree object
1 - 0x006D Palm tree object
4 - 0x0020 Non-Climbable Palm tree objects
18 - 0x000D Yellow banana(2D) objects
1 - 0x0094 Green Donkey Switch Object
1 - 0x0084 Bamboo Gate
5 - 0x0011 objects (helicopter vines)

As you can see, Cranky's lab is missing, and more importantly, why are there yellow bananas scattered about the map? For the main DK Isles area, the only object is the big Kremling Isle.

All the object placement files for level lobbys are NULL which means they either removed the data for those areas or just never got around to adding anything in them yet.

It's also interesting to note that the Level entrance doors and Troff N Scoff door doesn't exist in the kiosk version of the rom. In the Troff N Scoff area there are 2 wooden doors. One which leads back to the level, and one that leads back to DK Isles.

Anyways, if you want to theorize about some of this stuff. Go ahead. I'll update this when I discover the enemy placement files.

Banjo-Korezooie 24th April 2009 09:04 PM

SWEET!

BanjoPL 24th April 2009 09:04 PM

NO ice key...

runehero123 24th April 2009 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banjo PL
NO ice key...

I wasn't really expecting an ice-key to be included as part of a map object anyways. If there was a 3d ice-key in the game, it would've been found in the 3d image mod already.

Another thing is that the kiosk version doesn't contain any Ice-key menu text, which is odd considering the fact that it's there in the final version..

Banjo-Korezooie 24th April 2009 09:16 PM

The pictures of DK Isle and the Giraffes look finalized, maybe the world entrances in DK64 originally had something to do with portraits like Banjo-Kazooie, I mean it wasn't uncommon for platformers on the N64. Also, maybe the giraffe was a beta character, perhaps from a beta world that wasn't put in the game, unless someone can tell where that picture of the giraffes was taken..? Anyways really awesome Rune, and it would be awesome if you could take a screenshot of that giraffe picture and upload it, if only because it looks nice.

EDIT: Just had another thought, maybe the barrels that let you change characters were originally themed with their levels as different objects. The stump would be from Fungi Forest (obviously, since that's where you found it :P)

BanjoPL 24th April 2009 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runehero123 (Post 575947)
I wasn't really expecting an ice-key to be included as part of a map object anyways. If there was a 3d ice-key in the game, it would've been found in the 3d image mod already.

Another thing is that the kiosk version doesn't contain any Ice-key menu text, which is odd considering the fact that it's there in the final version..

Yes this is very odd because Kiosk Version is like beta version and there isn't ICE KEY 1/1 but in final version there is ICE KEY 1/1. Very odd.

runehero123 24th April 2009 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banjo-Korenzooie
EDIT: Just had another thought, maybe the barrels that lets you change characters were originally themed as different items. The stump would be for Fungi Forest (obviously, since that's where you found it )

That sounds like a valid use of the tree stump. Though the swap barrels are in the kiosk version, and they are fully functional when I tested them.

Banjo-Korezooie 24th April 2009 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runehero123 (Post 575953)
That sounds like a valid use of the tree stump. Though the swap barrels are in the kiosk version, and they are fully functional when I tested them.

Was the tree stump fully functional too (or is that what you meant)?

Deebs 24th April 2009 09:31 PM

Excellent work once again Rune!

runehero123 24th April 2009 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banjo-Korezooie
Was the tree stump fully functional too (or is that what you meant)?

I have no idea what the tree stump is for unless it's loaded on the actual level containing its script. We'll have to wait until I restore the fungi forest background in DK64 kiosk to see what it's used for.

I meant the swap barrels.

Banjo-Korezooie 24th April 2009 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runehero123 (Post 575958)
I have no idea what the tree stump is for unless it's loaded on the actual level containing its script. We'll have to wait until I restore the fungi forest background in DK64 kiosk to see what it's used for.

I meant the swap barrels.

Can't wait :D

Also, quoted from you on youtube, "Dude, holy crap you're right! That might just be the issue that's causing the ice-key image not to load. I need to go through the ASM commands again and see if I can get it to load completely. Thanks for pointing that out though ;) ."

So did that not work or are you still working on it..?

runehero123 24th April 2009 09:37 PM

I'm gonna do some research on that today ;) .

Banjo-Korezooie 24th April 2009 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runehero123 (Post 575962)
I'm gonna do some research on that today ;) .

Hm, I don't know what to say except ":D:D:D"

treeckoman 24th April 2009 10:16 PM

I think the giraffe was replaced by the hippo you feed the bananas to.
mabye instead of getting fatter, the giraffe would get taller and unlock the key. just a thought, i'm probably wrong though.

Anyway, nice find. I hope you find more and mabye the Ice key. ;)

Jacmac 25th April 2009 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runehero123 (Post 575947)

Just an idea, but maybe this means rare realised thar SNS was going to be droped before the release of DK, theorised that there would be huge speculation about what it was meant to be, and put the ice key in the coding for teh lulz?