The Rare Witch Project Forums

The Rare Witch Project Forums (https://www.therwp.com/forums/index.php)
-   Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop (https://www.therwp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   SNS update: I think I know which 4 of the 6 eggs we are supposed to get (https://www.therwp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1287)

Benjo Koolzooie 27th August 2005 01:15 PM

Care to explain why the codes are? Interesting to hear your ideas.

hatrickpatrick 27th August 2005 08:33 PM

ok, too many questions at once >_>
1: IMO, the reason it sotres them on all 3 files is to prevent us from colelcting the wrong eggs on one file and being able to have 3 attempts. I think the idea is to give us one chance and then if we hack it (without having the remove items code) we're stuck with it.
2:
Quote:

Hatrick, can you explain what you mean in a hacking simpleton's terms, cause I am a bit unsure of what you mean.
There's an address in memory (PAL: 80283220, NTSC: 80283400) which controls which SnS items we have. But I'm beginning to think there may be other addresses which also control it, because when I took control of the cutscene, the ice wall was open but the address was at 0000 (nothing active). Also, if you reset SnS after getting the blue egg, the crypt lid remains open, which suggests that the data for that is stored at another address.
3: I cant give the code yet since I havent finished hacking it. It's pretty complicaqted to figure out, so I probably wont have a final version for a few days...

hatrickpatrick 27th August 2005 10:13 PM

HUGE UPDATE!!!!!
I just tested my theory, and it turns out I was right: SnS data seems to be stored in more than one location. I took control of the end cutscene as usual, but instead of going into sharkfood island, I left the level and went into RBB instead. AND THE RED EGG WAS THERE. Bear in mind that I had had SnS set to 0000 before then. I looked in the memory, and SnS WAS STILL AT 0000. I then went around to all the secret levels, and they were all active. It stayed active as long as I travelled using doors and level pads and cauldrons and so on, but warping directly ended it, all the items reverted back to being inactive.

What could that mean? Well it obviously means that there's more than one factor which controls the SnS stuff. It also probably means that this partly depends on the game thinking you're still watching the end cutscene, since instant warping deactivated it.

To my mind, this explains quite a few things. The most obvious thing it explains is that using the sandcastle codes, in other words, activating the address we thought was the main SnS address, might actually be telling the game to ignore the items you collect. What I'm going to try next is to actually collect the items, and see if that changes the address we've been using.

I dont want to get everyone's hopes up for nothing, but I really am beginning to think that we're getting closer all the time to unlocking this whole mystery.

AlmostJinkies 27th August 2005 10:28 PM

I for one, think that we are achingly close to getting Stop 'N' Swop. Every day, I read this post for updates, and feel more and more confident.

HatrickPatrick is gonna crack this any day now, I bet :-)

hatrickpatrick 27th August 2005 10:39 PM

Ok, this is extremely bizarre. I just checked again. It seems the SnS address we use DOES change, but not in a way you'd expect. It goes to FE00 during the cutscene. Why not FF? Could it be that FF activates another room besides all the rooms which FE activates?
Here's another weird thing. I didnt notice that the address changes at first because I was using emucheat and it moves bytes around, so when I thought I was looking at the snS address I was looking at the next one. But what still stands is that the gobi crypt remains open after you clear the SnS inventory. I think we really need to crack the controller for that crypt, it could be that other activators are nearby in memory.

Again, apologies for the mix-up, but it doesnt lessen the potential hugeness of this discovery. Obviously there are other addresses for controlling SnS, if it can go to FE without any sandcastle codes being typed. This reinforces our theory of a legit method of unlocking the SnS rooms. Also, why not FF? could moving it up by one digit unlock something which FE doesnt unlock?

I'm going to try and crack that crypt lid address now, and I'll update again as soon as I find it.

Gaming Master2k 27th August 2005 11:15 PM

I've been able to find FE Opens all the areas (Gobi's Door, Cellar, Ice Door, and Makes the red,green and yellow egg appear) while FF has the Yellow Egg already collected with the other areas activated. So that's why not FF, but why open all areas?

dmoss 28th August 2005 12:31 AM

Holy flippin' cow! I am really just in awe right now...being that I can't help you guys out, I'm just continuing the Cheering-You-On Tactic...hope it helps. :) Keep up the good work, Ladies and Gents!

vaticandrummer 28th August 2005 05:07 AM

Yeah, it seems like any day now something really big could happen. Keep it up you guys!

GameandWatch33 28th August 2005 05:25 AM

Why must rare always do this?

Everytime I play a rare produced game, I feel that there is something being hidden from me. There are always so many secrets, and so many mysteries.

Than when they tell us that it was all for nothing, they produce GBTG and insert that nice little easter egg.

Sorry for that rant. I am off to mess with a slight theory of my own concerning that key.

Wish me luck.

Golden 28th August 2005 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjo Koolzooie
Care to explain why the codes are? Interesting to hear your ideas.

well the reasoning i have for the codes being just a fallback is that it seems to me to be too much like the codes that open the note doors/levels etc

just a hunch

GameandWatch33 28th August 2005 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden
well the reasoning i have for the codes being just a fallback is that it seems to me to be too much like the codes that open the note doors/levels etc

just a hunch

So basically you are saying that there is something in the code that branches. You perform a certain task, it takes you to a certain value. Or if you choose to enter the codes into the floor, it would trigger the same value?

Sorry if I am way off.

AlmostJinkies 28th August 2005 06:05 AM

In a nutshell, getting the items with the Sandcastle codes deactivates whatever purpose they have. (I think that's what Patrick said.)

But yes, I hate that about Rare too... granted, I love Banjo-Kazooie more than any other video game, but I hate when stuff is kept from me. That's one of the reasons why I usually don't play Rare games. I just bought DK64, and even that has unopenable doors and crap.

Golden 28th August 2005 10:29 AM

what i was really trying to get at is that there are probably 2 ways of getting the stop n swop items. there is the cheating way, where you just enter the codes and cheat your way towards the items without knowing what to do or what order to get them in. and then there is the legitimate way, still as of yet unkown, which triggers the events that lead to aquiring the items. if order is important then it would be obvious which order to collect the items in since each event would trigger the next one and open up the next area. what i think we are missing is the event which starts the whole process off (such as completing each game file to 100% then speaking to a specific character/flicking a switch for example). if this event does in fact exist in the game and is yet to be found then if it ever was found we would be able to see stop n swop as it was origionally meant to be used

Tachi 28th August 2005 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlmostJinkies
But yes, I hate that about Rare too... granted, I love Banjo-Kazooie more than any other video game, but I hate when stuff is kept from me. That's one of the reasons why I usually don't play Rare games. I just bought DK64, and even that has unopenable doors and crap.

Why for? Secrets are what make a game fun. To me, at least. And even though it's frustrating not being able to figure it out right away, it's fun to try to figure it out.

Stop n' Swop is one of the biggest reasons I LOVE B-K. Secret things like this just fuel my interest to no end.

Quite frankly, I think Rare wants us to figure their secrets out, even though they try to discourage us by saying it isn't there, it's not real. I really don't think they laugh. It's fact that if you put more effort into something and complete it, the more you'll enjoy it and the more you'll feel proud, and the more you'll want to do. :<

Oh my.

PROPAGANDA. I SEE THEIR PLOT. I HAVE FIGURED IT OUT.

*Waits for the Rare*CIA to come and get him.*

Benjo Koolzooie 28th August 2005 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden
if order is important then it would be obvious which order to collect the items in since each event would trigger the next one and open up the next area. what i think we are missing is the event which starts the whole process off (such as completing each game file to 100% then speaking to a specific character/flicking a switch for example). if this event does in fact exist in the game and is yet to be found then if it ever was found we would be able to see stop n swop as it was origionally meant to be used

Just wondering, is it possible this trigger may only exist (or was to exist) in BT, and be transfered over to BK? Even if so, would a "space" for this trigger to be recieved in BK exist in the memory? It's sort of hard to explain, but hopefully some of you clever hackers will understand.

Anybody that doesn't hack but is interesting in finding information in BK, perhaps could get all 3 files on your BK games to 100% completion, bar the secrets. That way any theories that require normal BK play,can be performed nice and quickly.

A question: When cheats are used to open note doors, worlds, are small cut scenes shown ?