The Rare Witch Project Forums

The Rare Witch Project Forums (https://www.therwp.com/forums/index.php)
-   Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop (https://www.therwp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   SNS update: I think I know which 4 of the 6 eggs we are supposed to get (https://www.therwp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1287)

pinkbull 17th June 2006 03:16 AM

This may not help at all but is it possible to post a picture of what snow 2 and forest 2 look like physicly? Is it some terrain, a level or textures or just some code that had something to do with somthing but later got deleted. Basicly I want to see what it is and not a pic of it being it the code. If its then posted before then sorry. If not then lets see what we can do.

LaorBR 17th June 2006 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkbull
I was just posting what it couldv'e been also notice the pixil differences there alot different from changing from shades of blue to shades of green. Same for the top and the lighting on the glass. on the green one it's pure white while on the other it looks more like a transparent shine on it. Also the outlines on the blue one are alot more shart ans strate compared to the green one which is more bumpie. Also the the part between the thin part between the green one and blue one looks one pixil smaller and alot different.

You won't give up without a fight, huh? :)
Very well, I like that.
The difference in the pixels is because of the emulator settings.
I always use the texture filter option when playing Banjo-Kazooie, because that makes the menus look more smooth. Slaphappy doesn't.
I shall post an unfiltered pic:
Here it is.

Also, I agree that the shades of green are matching perfectly and that's kind of strange for a glitch.
But you gotta admit that a green colored sandwatch with red sand doesn't match very nicely. It is either a glitch, or an old piece of code from Project: Dream that wasn't deleted.
But that's just me.
EDIT: Reposted the pic with a larger the sandwatch.

pinkbull 17th June 2006 03:38 AM

I really think it could've been from Dream like you said. Or unused in the end game. But it just seems too different for it to be a glitch. Besides it is banjo kazooie after all. Anyway like I said before we definatly should focus on the 8th and 9th silos and Rediculesly secret area 1. I think it could be the place to learn to do SnS or just a very interesting area that got left behind. It kind of reminds me of a LoZMM rumor that there is a non-solid doungeon way out in the water in one of the levels and can only be acsessed with an unlimited ice arrow cheat. But thats just me. Sorry that that was a little off topic.

Ozimul 17th June 2006 03:58 AM

On my computer, this is 170 pages.
It took me 4 days to get through all this.

I'm going to come up with a quick summary of things that have been talked about. RIGHT NOW.

-The Big Cluckers have their own cutscene and this COULD BE significant.
-There are weird SnS references in the colors of Jinjos, flowers, and mushrooms on ceilings.
-Wireframe mode may help discover some things, then again it may not.
-The Base Egg is in B-T.

I'm sure I've missed something. But I can answer some questions that came up.

Someone asked if Gobi did anything different if the door to the Blue Egg is open. He does not do anything new. I know, I went and pounded his back in front of the desert door and he just ran off to find his "peace and quiet".

There's a PIG face on the Sarcophogus, you say? Think back to DKR for a few seconds. The main villain was an evil Wizard Pig named Wizpig. How very original. Hey, Banjo was in that game as one of the racers and so was Conker!

Wizards and Witches... interesting. Rare must like evil spells.

The point of the Big Clucker cutscene is probably nonsense form Rare. It doesn't matter if you kill the one near the water or the one nearest to the top of the tree, the first one you kill always gives you the cutscene.

That's all I can answer. But, I would like to point out something - to clear up any confusion.

There is a difference between a Cameo and a Taunt.
Cameo: CBFD's Banjo and Kazooie heads. They were just there because... they were.
Taunt: GbtG's stuffed Banjo and Kazooie heads, the album full of B-K pics, the various pictures of Devil Bottles, Mumbo Jumbo, and Jiggies, and the infamous "Collect Ice Key" board are all taunts. Rare is teasing us. Shame on them! (I don't know why I pointed this out, I'm crazy. Heh.)

And now, I'm confused about something. Did older N64s "retain" memory for a few seconds that could be transfered to other games if "swopped" quickly enough, or was it the cartridge that kept memory of older... stuff? I'm just wondering, because I want to find out how old my N64 is (using the serial number) to see if I can do anything. I own B-K and B-T, however B-K has all the SnS items on it.

I just thought of a theory. If using the codes was the CORRECT way to get the SnS items, we may have hope yet. For this to work, I'll assume that the Sandcastle Codes are the correct way to get SnS items. i'll find out how old my N64 is - if it's an older one, maybe I can do a "cold swop" - you never know, it could work. ;) I'll start a new file in BT (must finnish B-K first (**darn** RBB! can't get the last jiggy...)), then once I've completed that, I'll get to my "cold swop" theory.

Edit: What weird pictures of timers. What the heck are they?

Edit 2: Cool, I started p. 171.

LaorBR 17th June 2006 04:17 AM

Ya know I'm begining to think that slaphappy and hatrick should start their own topic at the Gameshark Hacking forum.
It's just that this place is too much... disorganized?

pinkbull 17th June 2006 04:22 AM

If SnS and hot swaping were actully there lets take a moment to look at wave race 64. If you pulled the cart out while holding the reset button you could still play it but the sound would be all glichy. The reason? The data was all on the RAM but the sound was still being loaded. I found out about it on an article at Rare extreme. If BK-BT SnS was there it would save some data or an activater to the RAM. That was probably what the expansion pak was originally for but the DK64 team needed for full functionality for the game so they got 1st priority.

LaorBR 17th June 2006 05:04 AM

That didn't make any sense, sorry.
The extra RAM from an expansion pak is used to play games at higher resolutions and enable the producers to load twice more textures on the N64's memory.
That's why you can't play Zelda MM and DK64 without an expansion pak, because these games overload the RAM with textures.

I see that you're doing some research, and that you put some thinking into your theories before posting, that's very good.
But you need to have a fact to back you up if you want people to take you seriously.
Otherwise anyone would come here and start doing theories without any proof. Then nobody would believe anybody, and people would resort to their own conclusions without listening to others. That would be chaos.

Maybe I'm exaggerating, your theory wasn't THAT awful to start with. But it was a little groundless, and some quick search on google would answer your question about the expansion pak's features.

My point is: You never know if Nintendo did or did not make other plans for the expansion pak. Maybe its real use was really inovative and was related to SnS. It could be true.
But if you don't have any facts to back this up, this is not even worth discussing.
Sorry if I'm being harsh. But it's just the way it is.

pinkbull 17th June 2006 05:16 AM

I basicly pulled that stuff from a Rare Extreme SnS article. It's not my original opinion but I used it because I thought it was very plausible. I'll post the link in a second. I just have to find it 1st.

EDIT: Ok I couldn't find it. It was a Rare extreme border around a wikipidia like format. If someone can find the link. Then great.

LaorBR 17th June 2006 07:11 AM

:no:
Click here.
I obviously had checked this one before. ;)
Btw, there is another timer in MMM, it's the one at the Ouija board. They were both normal timers.
PS: I'm sick of the word "timer".

DemyGod 17th June 2006 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowman
Does anyone know were the screen shot of the mummbo timer was taken
at? If we knew that then we could solve this once and for all. Plus it would
help if we knew what GS codes were active at the time.

Where did this timer come from? How did we get a picture of it.

Campusanis 17th June 2006 04:24 PM

Quote:

If someone can find the link. Then great.
It's the site I posted two or three times in the last two days, but nevermind. :D
The article is this one: http://www.rarenet.com/wiki/index.ph...p_%27n%27_Swop

pinkbull 17th June 2006 04:40 PM

Thanks Campusanis I got Rare extreme and Rarenet mixed up for that one. Also my summery is almost complete. I'm on page 127 and so far it's looking pretty nice.

LaorBR 17th June 2006 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DemyGod
Where did this timer come from? How did we get a picture of it.

Allow me to make a short summary...
*Ahem*

The Evil Timer Saga:
Episode 1: The Phantom Hourglass

Back in page 169, while messing with the cutscene editor, Slaphappy accidentally found an apparently unused BK Time Counter, he then proceeded posting a picture of it.
Click Here to see his original post.

People were speculating about it being used in either Bubblegloop Swamp (mr. vile's minigame) or Mad Monster Mansion (the ouija board or the church door switch).
I already checked them out, and this theory is DEBUNKED.
Pinkbull posted his theory, about BK originally having level-themed time counters.
And I posted mine, IMO it's just a color palete glitch. I don't think this timer is unused because Sub and Ice cracked the texture compression, and they never found anything like this. The supposedly red-eyed skull on the top of the timer looks like a piece of Mumbo's Hut background to me.
Pinkbull complained about both timers looking too different, that was because I forgot to turn off texture filtering.
And that's about it.
I reckon that a unused menu item in BK would be really exciting, but I don't think this is likely to be unused.
As you can see in this screenshot, it's way too similar to the normal timer.
EDIT: put some helpful text in the above screenshot. Hopefuly my theory's clearer now.

slaphappy 17th June 2006 09:34 PM

I'm not at home right now so I only have a moment to post.

I DID NOT come across that timer with the cutscene activator. Sorry about the confusion. I honestly thought it was just a normal timer from the game so I didn't give it much more thought than that. It was strange and I didn't remember it, so I posted the picture.

I've been making progress with my SNS outside of gameplay concept, and this timer came up as a strange result of the activator to cycle through intro levels. It behaves one way during the intro, and another way during gameplay. I'll get a chance to investigate it more tomorrow, now that it seems to be something more important than I anticipated.

DemyGod 17th June 2006 10:02 PM

Thankyou for the sum up. This does seem like something we must solve to solve bigger things. It can just be the first timer they put in but changed it to the normal looking one. Can anyone play all the timers and see if anyone if different?

Kratos_Aurion 17th June 2006 11:06 PM

Maybe the timer was used for boss fights. Were there any in the game that required one? Didn't Cr3@v10|\| run into a fight with Nipper with one?
Here's the link.

hatrickpatrick 17th June 2006 11:29 PM

Ok well I'm going away tomorrow on holidays and we won't have an internet connection for 3 weeks, so I'll have to catch up on all this when I get back. Keep at it everyone, we're doing great, especially after that massive slump we had for a few weeks...

Slaphappy, that sounds very interesting, did you notice that the BK activator causes the game to crash if you put it to 01 during the intro? Very odd...

See if you can have any luck finding the other cutscene activator. If you've got time, could you give us a summary of how you found the partial activator? It'd help a lot for others hacking it...

Cya in a few weeks!

pinkbull 18th June 2006 12:46 AM

Well I wasn't really complaining just noting the differences that couldn't be a palette glich. Anyway other than my hurt feelings I'm on page 130 right now and if I'm lucky I'll post my summery of this thread later tonight. It looks very nice so far and I hope you'll enjoy reading it alot more then I spent making it. Also if you do have the time I suggest you read it if you have the time. I might even put some interviews if people want to be the interviewees (is that a word?) and if I feel like it.
EDIT: hurrah for me this was also my 100th post!

slaphappy 18th June 2006 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatrickpatrick
Ok well I'm going away tomorrow on holidays and we won't have an internet connection for 3 weeks

Have a great time. If I find anything good I won't post it until you get back. :D
Well, I don't know if I have that much self control. :) Seriously, enjoy being on holiday.

pinkbull 18th June 2006 01:52 AM

If you make a summery you can put it on my site. No siriously I only have 57 hits and I think some exclusive content would help it greatly. Also now I'm on page 145 so I will get it done the summery done by tonight. Also what codes do you use for wireframe mode? Or do you use an emulater for it?
EDIT: this is a theory that may make SnS so hard to get. When I was replayig through BK I thought of somthing for SnS. It should've started with BT. 1st in BT you'd do whatever it took to activate SnS on banjo Kazooie. When you unlocked SnS in BT you would've Hot swaped to BK then the areas for the eggs would've been unlocked. Then blah blah eggs and ice key blah then the content is unlocked more blah anyway mabe if we think from this view we could revise our goals. Think about it. It makes sence.

collecter 18th June 2006 04:50 PM

Whydon't the hackers of this forum split into teams and start concentrating on different projects? One could work on cutscenes and the other could try to isolate different activators, find similarities in the diifferent types (such as "open some door" and "make x item appear"), and use the similarities to find where in the game code the SNS activators are/go. If the actvators ane not there, they could try to hack them.

pinkbull 18th June 2006 05:04 PM

To tell you the truth the people here including me don't have the attention span and care to do that. I'm sorry but this is the cold hard truth. If you've read this whole thread then you'll see countless attempts just like this. We might've found it but nobody ever listened to that Average Joe. If Ice or Subdrag were to coordinate it. Even though Subdrag is retired.

Yuoko 18th June 2006 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkbull
To tell you the truth the people here including me don't have the attention span and care to do that. I'm sorry but this is the cold hard truth. If you've read this whole thread then you'll see countless attempts just like this. We might've found it but nobody ever listened to that Average Joe. If Ice or Subdrag were to coordinate it. Even though Subdrag is retired.

Yes, many, many posts about something like that, no fruitation, however. Frankly because I have better things to do. (Such as Oblivion! ^_^ )

Go_Nosis 19th June 2006 01:36 AM

ok guys, I haven't found any kind of visual marker or anything in BK in relation to SnS and what you had to do to make it work, but I'm not done yet. Quick little update.

The colors in groups are usually 4 of the six eggs, but alot of the time, a non-egg color appears (orange) which makes me basically throw it out of my theory bin. I'm still gonna look for any visual clues, because there is most likely a specific chain of events to follow to unlock SnS without a hacking device.

*goes insane over this*

Ok uhm.. Anything else new? No, nothing else. Any suggestions that don't involve (much) Gameshark using? I'm willing to try anything. Anyway, I gotta go think up my next idea now.

Peace.

***EDIT*** actually I was a little perplexed about something someone else on a different thread said. Something about how the puzzle room for CCW appears so early, I've wondered that one too. I know its probably nothing big, but for SnS, I'm gonna put my logic on hold and do some research.

pinkbull 19th June 2006 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slaphappy
Feel free to condratict me and challenge my assumptions. That's how progress is made.

From my perspective, Rare didn't get lazy. Prior to launching the demo, a set of functions are called that open an area and then remove it's corresponding item. And after leaving the demo, prior to the game selection screen, functions are called to put them back in place. If it were trivial, and I was lazy, I would just move the address value to a register or push it on the stack and set the memory to FE00. Then move the original value back when I'm done. That is not what's going on. What exactly is happening I'm not so sure yet. I can tell you there are evaluations item by item happening. Unless of course the C++ compiler they used generated incredibly inefficient assembler code.

There are other strange things that happen when you change the value of that memory address during different write breakpoints following inital ROM startup, but I haven't even begun the work needed to decipher that.

---------------------------

Demo is the part of the game that Banjo is running around control by AI. When you Press Start, it goes into the demo.

---------------------------

I thought I should bring this post to mind. And by what I've seen from the summery if anyone will solve Stop 'n' Swap It'll be slaphappy. And I'm not saying that as a fanboy. After all the progress I've seen him make since he was here he looks like a great hacker to match Icemario and Subdrag. I hope to see SnS very soon and Slaphappy will probably be the one to show us. And I've read concerns about the discovery to the answer to SnS will kill the forums but thier 90% wrong. When SnS is discovered (not if just when) Traffic to this site will probably burst. It will die down over time and eventully will go into a slump with people still coming at times. But with a release of Banjo-Threeie and so on hunts will continue and people will look to this great site as an answer. And I hope Rare does stuff like this still to their games with open doos to it just to keep this great site alive. That's just a prediction but a very good one if I say so myself. Sorry if it was a little off topic but I just felt it needed to be said.

DavidNel 19th June 2006 02:53 AM

If anyone can simplify these adress, X = Q if it's Wednesday, stuff I'll try my luck at it. I got a gameshark, banjo-kazooie, and no common sense. I'll try and look for a giant sign that says "LOOK HERE"...

I want to learn how to hack, and will have plenty of time to do it if someone would like to spend the time to teach.

pinkbull 19th June 2006 03:11 AM

I can't teach you and I certainly don't know how but I found this site in one of the earlier posts that will teach you how. I'm saving this for another time when I have time.
http://web.archive.org/web/200503190...Text/hackv500c

Theguyoverthere 19th June 2006 04:51 AM

sorry to talk about something different, but i might have some info on cutscene types. OK so i'm playing BK using 1964 emulator and every time i talk to bottles (when he jumps out of his molehill) or hit a witch switch orsome other stuff, the game doesn't show that cut scene but instead like freezes the frame before it starts then when it ends it goes back to normal (though you can hear the noise of the cutscene) Now, normally freezing would be bad but this might help define different types of cut scenes because it can show you the big movie scenes like the intro and stuff but no little ones. Interesting...

pinkbull 19th June 2006 04:58 AM

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD NEEEEEEWWWS!!!!!!///111//!!!!
Sorry for that caps lock but it took 4 weeks but I have finished the SnS summery. Here it is
http://www.geocities.com/greatixist/SnS.html
It took 4 long weeks to make but it is finally done. You've probably allready read it because i saved it every time I made progress on it but I thought that you should be able to see the thing in progress. I'll go through it again tomarrow and Edit it so it will look a little better and make everyone happy.

Go_Nosis 19th June 2006 11:44 AM

Pinkbull, excellent work. I'm impressed, big time.

You also gain 4,572,193 EXP for mentioning Mother 3. Not that I'm a fanboy or nothin'.. *ahem*

anyway, great work! everyone check that site out, its a good compilation!

DemyGod 19th June 2006 03:23 PM

That site has a nice sum up. Not that excited like Go noisis, lol.

pinkbull 19th June 2006 06:10 PM

I'd like to thank you all for your support on the Summery. I'm going to go through it and make paragraphs, clean it up and find some other improvements to the article. And thanks to your support I'll make more RWP based articles.

Theguyoverthere 20th June 2006 03:42 AM

Errr. what about my little bit of info? Is it useful at all? In the slightest? Or just me dreaming away again :rolleyes: ?

The Pizza Boy 20th June 2006 07:05 AM

I think we need to find an egg in BT.

3 eggs in BK have their own seperate secret areas. 1 egg is found in BT (yellow). That makes four. You can get Pink, Blue, and Yellow in BT. The other egg in BK is Ligt bLue (Ceallar egg). I think we need to find the Light Blue egg in BT to open a secret level in BT. That would explain the 90 jiggies, and not 100.

garion 20th June 2006 08:03 AM

where were the other three in BT?

Dricenticore 20th June 2006 08:42 AM

There were 2 eggs in BT and one Ice Key you could use, and there was the Yellow Egg in BT as well in Heggy's residence/house/nest/whatever

In BK there are 6 eggs and an Ice key.

Using the Image Mod, you can turn objects into the base egg and get new colours in both games.

Anyway, the activator would have to be in BT since if it wasn't, you would have people going through the game and reaching SNS and going "WTH is Banjo-Tooie?"

Also, all of the SNS that was in BK would still be there, since all the new hardware and things were released after BK.

Oh and I am almost positive I got oneof those two statements wrong so correct me if that is the case.

The Pizza Boy 20th June 2006 09:16 AM

I think we should hack an Item pickup mod in BT, like, If you grab eggs, it gives you feathers instead, or notes, or jiggys, or stop n swop eggs, or more. Then we could see if there is any more collectable items in the game.

BanjoPL 20th June 2006 02:03 PM

At the end of Banjo-Kazooie Mumbo said:"Find quit in Banjo-Tooie!"...

icegod 20th June 2006 02:19 PM

If you collect the first egg banjo says something like: "Oh a secret egg, there must be some place where we can use this..."
If you collect the ice key he says: "Oh a gaint ice key, we ought to keep this for later..."

To me this sounds that at least one secret egg has to be used somewhere in BK, and the ice key is for BT.

Yuoko 20th June 2006 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icegod
If you collect the first egg banjo says something like: "Oh a secret egg, there must be some place where we can use this..."
If you collect the ice key he says: "Oh a gaint ice key, we ought to keep this for later..."

To me this sounds that at least one secret egg has to be used somewhere in BK, and the ice key is for BT.

Makes sense.
But, Kazooie said "Oh, a Giant Ice Key. We ought to keep this for later...":p