The Rare Witch Project Forums

The Rare Witch Project Forums (https://www.therwp.com/forums/index.php)
-   Rare & Playtonic (https://www.therwp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Rare Replay First Impressions (https://www.therwp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54363)

Andre 4th August 2015 06:29 AM

Rare Replay First Impressions

IMO, they nailed it.

Walecs 4th August 2015 03:16 PM

You beat me! I had the same idea for a thread, but then again I spent the last 8 hours playing Rare Replay.

Anyway:
0. Rare Replay is the best game ever. /undeniablefact
1. Jetpac: It's ridiculously easy thanks to the rewind function.
2. Lunar Jetman: I don't have the slightest idea what to do.
3. KI Gold: I don't have the slightest idea how to play, I keep dying. Shouldn't they add a tutorial or something?
4. Menu themes: They're all adorable.
5. Previously unseen: A bit disappointed by the lack of several titles, but amazing nonetheless. Moreover, it's really cool to see Sundown and Tailwind, since there is nothing about them around the internet.
6. Grabbed by the Ghoulies: It looks gorgeous on 1080p.
7. Nintendo 64 games FPS: People have been complaining about this, but I personally can not.
8. Ticket: It's an awesome idea, I love that you unlock concept arts/music by collecting ticket stamps.

The Banjonator 4th August 2015 03:28 PM

So N64 FPS is still in the 20's?

qwertykins76 4th August 2015 04:09 PM

I severely regret going to bed before 9 last night; it was right before your stream. I would have watched it but I thought Replay was releasing hours later....

The Colonel 4th August 2015 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walecs (Post 1247702)
3. KI Gold: I don't have the slightest idea how to play, I keep dying. Shouldn't they add a tutorial or something?

i recommend skullgirls if you want a fighting game that will explain things so that you can actually start playing fighting games

Andre 4th August 2015 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Banjonator (Post 1247704)
So N64 FPS is still in the 20's?

Conker and Blast Corps both ran great. Honestly, the biggest performance issues were with Nuts and Bolts, though they say a patch is coming soon. That was almost unplayable at times. Can't say anything bad about N64 games that I tried.

I skipped around a ton last night, ended up spending a bunch of time playing Jetpac and RC Pro Am, because those games are damn good. I'm not sure that Solar Jetman is even a video game, if somebody could explain to me how to play it, that would be cool. I'm honestly going to try and beat as many of these as fast as I can, because some of those special features... apparently there's a track from Dream in there. Also Kameo 2 concept art. It's a gold mine for us.

Scrubber 4th August 2015 06:35 PM

All ive played so far are the ultimate games and they are terrible. Cant wait to get to the rareware stuff. Havent a clue what im supposed to be doing in any of these games. Apart from jetpac the rest are all the exact same with tedious enemies all over the place and annoying ticking noises. An explanation of what im supposed to do would be nice.

The Colonel 4th August 2015 06:47 PM

welcome to the early 80s in video gaming

this is why people do not commonly look back on the ZX Spectrum as the golden age

Andre 4th August 2015 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrubber (Post 1247724)
All ive played so far are the ultimate games and they are terrible. Cant wait to get to the rareware stuff. Havent a clue what im supposed to be doing in any of these games. Apart from jetpac the rest are all the exact same with tedious enemies all over the place and annoying ticking noises. An explanation of what im supposed to do would be nice.

Atic Atac actually seems kind of interesting, and definitely was impressive for it's time. Otherwise, I generally agree, Jetpac is the only one worth playing until you get to Slalom. Also, gimme your gamertag so I can see you in my leaderboards.

Scrubber 4th August 2015 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andre (Post 1247726)
Atic Atac actually seems kind of interesting, and definitely was impressive for it's time. Otherwise, I generally agree, Jetpac is the only one worth playing until you get to Slalom. Also, gimme your gamertag so I can see you in my leaderboards.

Atic atac has been the one i spent most time on so far. Im currently trying to find (buffalo bill) i think? Gonna give this one up too its boring.
Gamertag is Scrubber89

DementedSun 4th August 2015 07:01 PM

I'm installing everything before I play first, so I've got a little while to wait :p. First time I've been excited for a game since Smash Bros.

BellyButtonLint 4th August 2015 07:01 PM

Just got RR an hour ago and it's installing. Can't wait to try Gunfright and Boggy's Sled Racing: The Game Slalom.

Scrubber 4th August 2015 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DementedSun (Post 1247729)
I'm installing everything before I play first, so I've got a little while to wait :p. First time I've been excited for a game since Smash Bros.

Get comfortable. Infact go do something like get some food or go on vacation. Mine took 1 hour 50 mins to install fully.

Right I'm up to slalom now. Let the games begin.

Andre 4th August 2015 07:41 PM

Worth noting that I preloaded every game, yet still had to perform updates on every 360 game.

Breegullbeak 4th August 2015 07:59 PM

Still waiting for my copy to show up from Amazon. It might not show up at all until 8pm which sucks considering I'm off all day.

Andre 4th August 2015 08:02 PM

The stress...

BellyButtonLint 4th August 2015 08:44 PM

Okay, why is B jump on the older games?

Twi 4th August 2015 09:27 PM

I really need someone to tell me about the Kameo content. I gotta know what was up with Kameo 2.

Walecs 4th August 2015 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrubber (Post 1247733)
Get comfortable. Infact go do something like get some food or go on vacation. Mine took 1 hour 50 mins to install fully.

Right I'm up to slalom now. Let the games begin.

I'm so glad I bought digitally and installed it last week, so today I could play it as soon as I switched the console on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andre (Post 1247736)
Worth noting that I preloaded every game, yet still had to perform updates on every 360 game.

I had the same issue. I won't play the 360 games until I have a gold membership so I can upload 360 savegames on Cloud, but still...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BellyButtonLint (Post 1247744)
Okay, why is B jump on the older games?

It took me a while to get used to that.

Andre 4th August 2015 09:43 PM

Feel free to add me (CPMaverick) on Live if you want to see my leaderboards or play... some PDZ multiplayer.

The Banjonator 4th August 2015 09:47 PM

I got excited because I thought it was PD multiplayer for a second and I was gonna be like ****ing what they have online multiplayer for the old games?

Esteban Colberto 4th August 2015 10:00 PM

LOL CPMAVERICK

The Colonel 4th August 2015 10:01 PM

Perfect Dark XBLA does have online MP, though.

e; I bet he isn't even that good at BlazBlue

Whyme123 4th August 2015 11:44 PM

HNNGHHH

Saw pirate-Kameo, I leaned forward
"That looks like Kameo..."

Saw "Kameo II"
I ghasphed for breath

Debating on buying an xbone.... for this... but I know it will be put online soon...

Andre 5th August 2015 12:42 AM

Don't worry whyme, the second I unlock the Kameo 2 stuff I'll post it just for you

Whyme123 5th August 2015 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andre (Post 1247765)
Don't worry whyme, the second I unlock the Kameo 2 stuff I'll post it just for you

I'll love you and your children

DementedSun 5th August 2015 02:01 AM

BattleToads, I ****ing hate you. I'm up to that dumb flashing ball chasing you around the corners now, and I can't fuggin beat it even with rewind.

Andre 5th August 2015 03:48 AM

Best in the world boys, heard it here first.

The Colonel 5th August 2015 04:28 AM

EAT SHIT MISTER XBOB

Jinjonator 5th August 2015 12:50 PM

how did anyone ever beat level 3 of battletoads without the ability to constantly rewind every 2 seconds

The Banjonator 5th August 2015 03:19 PM

That rewind thing might actually convince me to try out those super old games.

Scrubber 5th August 2015 03:52 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed the making of banjo kazooie feature. Looking forward to unlocking more of those.

Currently playing battletoads. Thank f### for the rewind feature is all i can say.

Andre 5th August 2015 06:37 PM

The making ofs are fantastic, but oh man, all the best behind the scenes stuff (including several Dream tracks) require plenty of leveling up.

DementedSun 6th August 2015 11:33 AM

I watched the BK one, but I'm saving the rest until I finish a few more of the games.

Also, some of the older games are frustrating as hell, haha. I never experienced the early ZX/NES games as a kid, but I doubt even then I'd have the patience to finish some of them. I guess it's good I started during the SNES/N64 era.

Andre 6th August 2015 05:51 PM

By the way, Jet Force Gemini has been patched with modern controls and MAN is it still fun.

DementedSun 6th August 2015 06:00 PM

Are they going to patch Conker too? Playing it on N64 is no problem for me, I played multiplayer a ton back then with the C-buttons. Something about the thumbstick throws me off, so it would be nice to see a modern option for that too.

The Colonel 6th August 2015 06:20 PM

Analog aiming for JFG is like the one thing that will probably push me to grab this at some point whenever it is that I get an Xbox One just so that I can actually ****ing play that game decently. All the other stuff is cool, but I'll only be personally interested in when I feel like replaying those games again.

Walecs 7th August 2015 11:34 AM

Did anyone watch the "Making of" videos? They're really interesting. The Banjo one talks about Dream and Stop 'N' Swop, albeit not saying much more than we already knew.
In the Conker one, they say that Nintendo seriously supported Bad Fur Day (I always thought the opposite). Also, Chris Seavor mentions that they could never do a new one because they've changed.
In the Kameo one, on the other hand, Mark Stevenson says that he'd love to do another one. What do you think, Whyme123, do you think there's a chance it might see the light, one day?

Starblazer 7th August 2015 08:13 PM

That moment when the Xbox One has more Nintendo 64 games on it than the Wii U lmaoooo.

Starblazer 7th August 2015 08:14 PM

Also, to the people that have this game now: Did they cut out the Conker opening clip where he cuts the N64 logo in half with the chainsaw? Or did they replace it? I'll be surprised if they put effort into replacing it since it was originally on the N64. I assumed they would just cut it out and do nothing or just stick in a fade in of the new Rare logo.