The Rare Witch Project Forums

The Rare Witch Project Forums (https://www.therwp.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Gaming (https://www.therwp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Zelda: Breath of the Wild (https://www.therwp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54850)

Derek 10th April 2016 03:12 PM

Zelda: Breath of the Wild

*Looks for Zelda Wii U thread*

*...Looks harder*

Huh. I can't believe we went this long without an official Zelda Wii U/(maybe)NX thread. You guys hear all this talk about voice acting (for everyone but Link) and gender options? What are your thoughts on that whole dealio?

I for one am against the gender option simply because Link's character has always been a dude. I don't mind Linkles existence in Hyrule Warriors or at all really, I just feel like Link won't feel as unique if there are two versions playable. I'm probably not wording this right but oh well, hopefully it will grow on me once the game is out.

Voice acting should be strange but I welcome it.

The Colonel 10th April 2016 04:20 PM

i support gender options because i still don't think there's any reason not to for a series where the main character being a dude has historically almost never mattered

idk about voice acting, i hope it's not terrible if the rumors of both are true

Brian 10th April 2016 07:49 PM

I just wonder what Ganon's up to.

Esteban Colberto 10th April 2016 08:00 PM

If it's just a gender option I don't see how it interferes with anything, really

The Colonel 10th April 2016 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nills (Post 1263858)
um,, if theres a GIRL link then how does she have sex with a GIRL PRINCESS. -__-

the master sword has an extra function for that

DementedSun 10th April 2016 10:53 PM

I still don't think Zelda Wii U is even in existence, just a CGI video to trick us.

I don't see why Link couldn't be female, since technically Link died years and years ago.

Masked Hero 11th April 2016 01:37 AM

I've got no beef against a girl Link. The character reincarnates practically every game. Why not as a girl?

I find the idea of Link being turned into a girl more acceptable than Mario being turned into a girl because of reincarnation. I would gladly accept Peach being playable but a girl Mario would be weird.

Dylan Yoshi 11th April 2016 01:43 AM

I don't have a problem with a female Link but I do have a problem with there being an option for a female Link. It makes Link into more of a player avatar and less of a character of his own.

Take OOT for example. When Link goes to rescue the carpenters from the Gerudo, the Gerudo eventually become impressed with him and accept him as one of their own, despite Gerudo law stating that there would only be one Gerudo man every hundred years. I don't think this would have had the same impact if you were playing as a female character. Having the option between male/female seems to me like it restricts writing for the sake of being gender neutral.

With that said, I'm all for the option if they do something like Persona 3 Portable where the female character has a shit ton of unique dialogue options and the rest of the cast reacts differently in certain situations. I just don't think Nintendo would do that.

qwertykins76 11th April 2016 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalHeroOfTime (Post 1263869)
I've got no beef against a girl Link. The character reincarnates practically every game. Why not as a girl?

I find the idea of Link being turned into a girl more acceptable than Mario being turned into a girl because of reincarnation. I would gladly accept Peach being playable but a girl Mario would be weird.

Maria.

The Colonel 11th April 2016 01:45 AM

a playable girl version of mario, but it's actually just a girl wearing a mario costume and a fake moustache

qwertykins76 11th April 2016 01:57 AM

I wonder if they'll use Linkle though

The Colonel 11th April 2016 02:14 AM

if they're writing with gender options in mind from the ground-up, there is literally no reason they can't take that kind of thing into account. and while doing that might mean they have to make slight adjustments, i don't buy the argument that it'll significantly limit their creativity in the slightest. it might create some bits of inconvenience when having to take very minor things into account, but historically i don't think any zelda game yet would have needed a complete rewrite in order to transform link into a sexy lady

Dylan Yoshi 11th April 2016 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yiffgurl (Post 1263874)
the point is that you're supposed to feel like they're accepting YOU though, that's literally the entire point of the link character and has been since day 1

edit: this is @ dylan yoshi, lots of posts in this thread

Not exactly, Link is more than JUST an avatar for the player. This applies to most Zeldas, but Wind Waker is the most obvious because of that. In the first half hour of Wind Waker, we know this about Link:

He's lazy enough that he oversleeps on his own birthday, yet brave enough to try and rescue a girl he just noticed fall into the forest. He's reckless enough to jump off a cliff to save his sister, which shows not just how rash he is but also how much he cares about his family. You see him genuinely sad when he has to leave his grandmother. Even as a silent protagonist that the player can project themselves onto, Link is a character of his own.

And either way, the Gerudo WOULD react to Link differently if he was female, it's just in the nature of their culture. Just swapping the gender would make the whole thing feel fake and poorly thought out.

Esteban Colberto 11th April 2016 02:19 AM

Anyone who says no girl Link option must reevaluate the entire thought process that led them to that conclusion

Esteban Colberto 11th April 2016 02:20 AM

Especially if it's "political correctness gone wild"

an utterance which sounds both sexy and like the least sexy thing in the world