The Rare Witch Project Forums

The Rare Witch Project Forums (https://www.therwp.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Banjo Kazooie Series (https://www.therwp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Remember her? She's 20 years old now. Feel old yet??? (https://www.therwp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55941)

qwertykins76 20th November 2020 04:43 PM

Remember her? She's 20 years old now. Feel old yet???

Congratulations to Banjo-Tooie, on officially being old enough to make me introspect as to where my entire life has gone.

Mandolin 20th November 2020 06:35 PM

Where have all the years gone indeed. I still remember the night I got Banjo-Tooie. My dad bought it for me. But I had some friends over that night, so all we did was play the Mayan kickball mini-game. Good times.

Anyway, Tooie is a masterpiece. There's never been anything else like it. Still one of my top five favorite games of all time.

Mr/Sir Norris 22nd November 2020 01:43 AM

My family was big on game rentals growing up. I believe the first time I got to play Tooie I had either my cousins or friends over with pizza and it blew our minds that there was multiplayer. Never vibed with the FPS ones but that preference has been pretty consistent through my life.

Idk how many hours I sunk into this game, probably mostly in Witchy World because I loved the theme and layout of the place. But will always defend it as an amazing game and a very solid sequel to BK.

Mandolin 26th November 2020 03:50 AM

I love Witchyworld too, especially the Saucer of Peril and the cave of horrors where you rescue Gobi and Scrut. Very good stuff.

I like every level in the game, really, except maybe Cloud Cuckooland.

N64DD 26th November 2020 05:01 AM

yea CCL was just too poorly themed should of chucked it and kept what ever cauldron keep was gona be

but again gota give the most boring lvl title to terrydactyle land I loved it as a kid and Dinos are fekin shveet bra!
but its just sooo open and dull

Mandolin 4th January 2021 02:35 AM

Big disagree. I think Terrydactyland is super fun to traverse. It's the first level where flying feels really liberating, especially since you can do it as solo Kazooie without expending feathers.

Mr/Sir Norris 4th January 2021 06:26 PM

Damn I looooooved CCL as a kid, the whimsy and general derpiness of the place was everything for me. I really enjoyed the openness of being able to fly around the world and feeling like I'm gonna stumble onto some new idea. Looking back I would agree that it's kinda whatever and Cauldron Keep would have been a much more realized concept but young tyke me lived for that place.

qwertykins76 7th January 2021 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 1300188)
where flying feels really liberating

Aah yes, I love soaring through the air to my heart's content, wind in my face as my hair catches the breeze, in a giant doughnut-shaped world where most of the middle is inaccessible to flight. I adore flying in one massive, gently curved line. Very liberating.

Sometimes when I'm feeling dangerous I turn around and fly the opposite direction.

Mandolin 7th January 2021 11:40 PM

That but unironically. Being able to fly anywhere in the level is such a great reward for climbing the mountain and beating Terry. It's a faster and easier way to do pretty much anything, on top of being intrinsically satisfying.

I dunno, I guess I just enjoy playing the game. I'm weird that way.

qwertykins76 8th January 2021 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 1300210)
It's a faster and easier way to do pretty much anything

By the time you get the flight pad you've already been up the entire mountain and there isn't much of anything left TO fly to. I can visualize the entire level in my head and there's literally no cave or almost anything else the flight pad is useful for. The stuff it IS useful for is not even THAT useful.

We got warps pads yo.

Quote:

on top of being intrinsically satisfying.
That's fair. It's still a really cramped, narrow circular hallway of a level that I don't think's much fun to fly in cuz there's not enough space.

Quote:

I dunno, I guess I just enjoy playing the game. I'm weird that way.
OH HE SASS, OH HE BE SASSY HE'S SASSING ME OH YOU *****
Edit:I promise that's a glitched emoji intended to invoke silliness and not a curse word.

Masked Hero 8th January 2021 04:06 PM

Twenty years, wow. Tooie is my favorite Banjo game. I have countless memories of exploring those worlds and meeting all of the characters.

I was really into dinosaurs as a kid, so Terrydactyland was cool to me. It had the best transformation too. I’m okay with it being a big circle, as there were several memorable events. My favorite level is still Hailfire Peaks though.

Mr/Sir Norris 12th January 2021 03:50 PM

Ok nah yeah I am retracting best friend status with Witchyworld and Hailfire Peaks is my new best friend now. I forgot how great that world was. I would always get so anxious derping around while being globally attacked by the Chill Dragons, and found such calmness when I boinked eggs onto them both and was able to explore at my own leisure.

Also Jolly Roger's Lagoon knocked my socks off as a kid when I first showed up. I thought they had forgotten to build most of the level at first. Then after figuring out the Mumbo puzzle it became one of the few water levels that I really enjoyed. Something about how they hid a fully realized and living world totally out of sight rustled my jimmies in the best way.

Mandolin 16th March 2021 12:55 AM

It helps that Tooie gives you more control underwater than basically any other platformer. You can swim in first or third person, you have three different speeds and two attacks, one of which is fully steerable and has its own camera options. It's even more impressive when you consider that many modern platformers like Mario Odyssey are still doing the "Hit the button to go up a little" thing.

Brian 22nd March 2021 06:20 AM

I let's played it fairly recently. I loved it, but a lot of things definitely aged. Some of it is so tedious.

The negatives aside, it's still one of my absolute favorites, even if replaying it again made me feel a bit different on it than I did.

Gold Jinjo 4th April 2021 04:08 PM

Time has made me love this game even more than I originally did. It really is the Banjo game we didn't deserve. There's been fan service here and there over the years, Banjo in Smash, but the franchise is effectively dead and Banjo-Tooie was the team at their peak.

At this point I really only see BK/BT as one complete game :3

Oh, and Yooka-Laylee is Threeie obv :P