The Rare Witch Project Forums

The Rare Witch Project Forums (https://www.therwp.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Banjo Kazooie Series (https://www.therwp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Banjo's Backpack (Previously Mumbo's Wand) Coming May 31st (https://www.therwp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51525)

Coolboyman 29th May 2013 06:35 AM

Banjo's Backpack (Previously Mumbo's Wand) Coming May 31st

To celebrate the 15th anniversary, we will be releasing the first version of Banjo's Backpack: The Banjo-Kazooie editor on May 31st. A link will be provided in this post when it's released.

It's now your turn to show Rare how it's done! Start creating your levels!

Walecs 29th May 2013 01:24 PM

OH MY SEAVOR IM SO HAPPY!!!!!!!!11111!!!!!!!!1111
Seriously though, this is great news.
Thanks Coolboyman, you and Skill (and whoever worked on the project) just made this anniversary better.
This is year is so good for gaming!

Mombi Jombo 29th May 2013 05:40 PM

It's about time. :)

Whyme123 29th May 2013 05:41 PM

Ten bucks says that Microsoft tries to shut it down for some loony reason

Bbundy09 29th May 2013 05:50 PM

What's with the name change? Not that I hate it, I'm more just curious.

TheGreatNi 29th May 2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bbundy09 (Post 1158136)

Because its Banjo's game? Personally I would not care if it was "Grunty's Broomstick". Banjo kazooie level editor is going to be amazing!!!

Walecs 29th May 2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

A YouTube user made a video named Mumbo's Wand and he accused Skill and Coolboyman they stole it.

Bbundy09 29th May 2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walecs (Post 1158138)
A YouTube user made a video named Mumbo's Wand and he accused Skill and Coolboyman they stole it.

That makes sense. Oh well. Logistics. I look forward to this release as well!

Whyme123 29th May 2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walecs (Post 1158138)

They were also a RWP member...

Smouvy 29th May 2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Because Lupaie didn't like the confusion it brought to his Mumbo's Wand.

Banjo-Kaz64 29th May 2013 07:00 PM

Woo-hoo! Thanks guys!!!

Rock 29th May 2013 07:04 PM

Banjo's Backpack is a better name anyway because it has Banjo in it so people actually know what you're on about.

qwertykins76 29th May 2013 07:47 PM

:mumbo: Cheeky Jinjo not know what he's talking about. Mumbo is most famous. Oomenacka!

Sad Lad 29th May 2013 08:07 PM

Awesome. Would you be able to create a whole new game with this? Or just levels to load into Banjo?

Guessing no Tooie support too, right?

qwertykins76 29th May 2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pez (Post 1158153)
Awesome. Would you be able to create a whole new game with this? Or just levels to load into Banjo?

Guessing no Tooie support too, right?

No Tooie support. Altough you could import levels from Tooie I think. At least partially. New Pads and stuff wouldn't work or anything.

Last I heard, we were still a while off from being able to edit text and making scripted scenes. So if by "game" you mean conglomeration of worlds in a hub world then sure. I dunno every single thing we'll be able to do though.

Ty-chan 29th May 2013 08:48 PM

I jumped out of my seat in excitement when I read the title! The 31st is gonna be an amazing day! Banjo's Backpack, and the Banjo Symphony! Banjo Symphony's not free, though... so I'm out of luck for that one.

I just hope Banjo's 15th turns out better than Sonic's...

That's my plot right now for the first "game"/set of levels I'm making with this. 15th Banjo anniversary and Grunty ruins the party. And I'll make that same Sonic joke, too. Why an adventure? Because... time travel! Grunty of NAB found a creature in its primordial form with abilities even she was unable to master - it could control time and space. In order to perfect it, she needed someone just as smart as she is - and the only person that smart is herself. The Grunty of BK was happy to help. They used the creature to capture Banjo's friends, flinging them through time to bait their trap. Banjo and Kazooie also find their N64 counterparts. How could Grunty win when Banjo beat her all the time? Now there's Tooie of him!

Maybe I should stop there before I go overboard with this - yes, I'm just joking. Don't worry that's absolutely silly. Although I may use that 15th anniversary part, just not... everything after that.

Grey Jinjo 29th May 2013 10:10 PM

Just wanted to pop in to congratulate you and Skill on this software as it is quite an achievement.

Ty-chan 29th May 2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Jinjo (Post 1158166)
Just wanted to pop in to congratulate you and Skill on this software as it is quite an achievement.

Oh, yes. EVERYONE PRAISE COOLBOYMAN AND SKILL LIKE THEY ARE THE JESUS OF BANJO-KAZOOIE! Because gosh darn do they deserve it!

The Banjonator 29th May 2013 10:55 PM

If there's one thing we can count on it's fans that will be able to come up with extremely well designed levels. That's what modding communities have taught me. I wouldn't be surprised if people even figure out how to edit text themselves, or insert their own music. It might take some time but in the end I think this will lead to some amazing things for Banjo.

Thank you guys so much!

Starblazer 29th May 2013 11:45 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPlwHoXUEYo

Once we get editable dialogue and text as well as custom models and scripts, then it is ON LIKE MOTHER****ING DONKEY KONG BAYBEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Congratulations, you glorious bastards, you. You just made a whole bunch of people happy-- especially me. I've been anticipating this for a loooooong time. Long time.

PokeJosh 30th May 2013 12:01 AM

I'll download the crap out of this. Already have plans. I can't wait to see what the actual tool handles like. You can only get a rough feel from the videos.

Coolboyman 30th May 2013 02:44 AM

Thanks for all the thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goku (Post 1158177)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPlwHoXUEYo

Once we get editable dialogue and text as well as custom models and scripts, then it is ON LIKE MOTHER****ING DONKEY KONG BAYBEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Congratulations, you glorious bastards, you. You just made a whole bunch of people happy-- especially me. I've been anticipating this for a loooooong time. Long time.

You'll be able to edit text in this version. Scripting will come later. There's also a couple of other limitations on the program that will get fixed in future versions.

Starblazer 30th May 2013 03:01 AM

Oh! Even better. Sweet, dude.

Frankie 30th May 2013 03:37 AM

thank you, based coolboyman.

DementedSun 30th May 2013 05:10 AM

Can you import textures with this, or can you only use the existing ones?

It would be fun to attempt to make decent looking textures with n64 limitations, :3.

Coolboyman 30th May 2013 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DementedSun (Post 1158230)
Can you import textures with this, or can you only use the existing ones?

It would be fun to attempt to make decent looking textures with n64 limitations, :3.

You can use your own textures, absolutely.

Smouvy 30th May 2013 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pez (Post 1158153)

From what I gathered while the tool was in development:

Outside of Banjo-Kazooie's core mechanics, pre-existing enemies/collectibles and, like listed above, scripted events, you can change just about anything as you please. You could technically make a whole new game with it, it'll just feature BK enemies, BK Collectibles, BK Events and... well... Banjo and Kazooie themselves. I think you could even pull off making the game one big level instead of a hub world with several smaller levels, though that'd get me worried for the collectible counters in the game.

Nayib 30th May 2013 07:44 AM

Congratulations! Happy 15th, everyone!

I like the new name, btdubz.

Coolboyman 30th May 2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smouvy (Post 1158247)
From what I gathered while the tool was in development:

Outside of Banjo-Kazooie's core mechanics, pre-existing enemies/collectibles and, like listed above, scripted events, you can change just about anything as you please. You could technically make a whole new game with it, it'll just feature BK enemies, BK Collectibles, BK Events and... well... Banjo and Kazooie themselves. I think you could even pull off making the game one big level instead of a hub world with several smaller levels, though that'd get me worried for the collectible counters in the game.

Here's some of the features not present in this version but we plan to add:
- Scripting support for custom NPC events.
- Number tweaking (Example: Max blue eggs you can hold, notes per level displayed on the view totals menus).
- Midi importing support (Although Subdrag's program does that just fine).
- Using the expansion pack for an extra 4MB of RAM to support huge levels.
- Expanding the ROM to 64MB which would give authors 48MB of space to use for everything. At the time you can't insert over another level if your level is bigger than the original but this will be fixed later.
- Optimal warping support (BK's system is weird, we haven't fully figured it out yet, but you can still use them).
- And more.

Don't worry though, you can do so many cool things with this version. We plan to let this program do absolutely everything possible for Banjo-Kazooie and so far we are on the right track. I'm excited to see this release too, I want to play some custom levels.

Coolboyman 31st May 2013 05:01 AM

We're going to release at around midnight PST tonight.

qwertykins76 31st May 2013 05:11 AM

It's like Christmas morning up in here.

Frankie 31st May 2013 05:26 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwamV1fbYQk

krueger14 31st May 2013 06:13 AM

Happy 15th. And hello Banjos backpack

DementedSun 31st May 2013 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coolboyman (Post 1158360)
We're going to release at around midnight PST tonight.

... This makes me want to stay up till 3 AM my time, but I'm so tired, :(. If only it was EST!

Frankie 31st May 2013 07:15 AM

2 more hours...

2 more hours...

2 more fffffffu**ing hours...

Coolboyman 31st May 2013 08:51 AM

Its out.

http://www.rarewarecentral.com/forum...newpost&t=7182

Smouvy 31st May 2013 11:36 AM

Today is backpack day :D

Ty-chan 31st May 2013 08:47 PM

YEEEES! My life is complete!

I think I've already found a little bug. You can't rename levels with more characters than they already have.

DementedSun 31st May 2013 09:42 PM

It's really buggy, I was editing the cellar in MMM just to figure stuff out, and it crashed Microsoft framework multiple times, and randomly it would render the rom unusable, but recreating the exact things I did sometimes didn't make it unusable??. Also it causes some error when changing music in a level to something else. Also you have to enter and exit a map multiple times for the stuff to show up, or you have to die entirely in the level for anything to show up in the right places. I had it seemingly randomly move and change the size and texture of everything I placed, as well as making the SNS barrel to be able to be broken open via a peck?? I don't even know how to do that myself, haha.

EDIT: And sometimes it moves the existing entities, especially the fire from the candles, into random spots in the map, while making the tee-hees stay in their rigging pose, while being extremely tiny and replacing the flames on the candles. ???????

And now I get the "permanent loop that cannot be exited" when hardly doing anything at all different in the map? No comprende.

Ty-chan 31st May 2013 10:04 PM

I'm not having many bugs, but I probably haven't been using it as much as DS. I placed a Ticker and SNS egg in SM. The SNS egg didn't show up (which is reasonable since I didn't set a color or anything, I guess) and the ticker was exactly where I had him.

I also demand that you get all the enemy names right. It's ticker, not ant! :p Although people who don't know the names will recognize it easier, so its probably best. Snacker isn't shark, though - but does he really need to be? Does anybody who's played BK ever forget his name? xD

EDIT: Also, HOW IN THE TITS DO I MAKE A MODEL FILE? What program do I need because SketchUp won't work.