The Rare Witch Project Forums

The Rare Witch Project Forums (https://www.therwp.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Gaming (https://www.therwp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Discuss games you've been playing (https://www.therwp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52271)

DarthConker 1st August 2015 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Colonel (Post 1247371)
I'm slowly working through the first chapter of The Witcher. It's really really really slow, but very enjoyable in shorter bursts. Kinda hope it picks up the pace later, though. I'm spending more time with Morrowind, there's something deeply enjoyable about just walking across Vvardenfell in that game.

When you get to Vizima (assuming that by first chapter you meant the prologue and thus are still in the Outskirts) the game really picks up. By chapter 2 the game has you really sucked in and is amazing through to the end. It's really clunky and dated but goddammit it's one of my favorite games of all time and I prefer it to the second game (primarily because you do more actual witcher-y things in the first whereas the second overloads you with politics and if you haven't read the books you'll be extremely lost initially). You're gonna do a lot of backtracking and running back and forth around chapter 2 as well as having about a million objective markers per main story quest, just to warn you in advance.

Breegullbeak 1st August 2015 04:30 AM

Just finished the initial run through of Metal Gear Solid 3 as I'm working towards getting the Platinum Trophy before Rare Replay comes out. I have no more tears to shed for the games ending, but it still gives me goosebumps. I'll firmly stand by it being the best ending to any game I've ever played, and I've played a lot of critically acclaimed games.

Esteban Colberto 1st August 2015 04:42 AM

Just finished Act 3. I know it's cool to harp on cutscenes nowadays, especially ones as long as the ones in MGS4, but man, what a scene. So many awesome things happen at that midway point.

Spoiler: (highlight to view)
Snake and Liquid Ocelot's first showdown, the entire set-up of the U.S. military, Ocelot's sweet "villain, triumphant" moment and his theatrics, the massacre of the U.S. troops, casting the body of Solidus, thought to be Big Boss, into the fire, Snake shielding Eva, Eva's death, Meryl's near-death, Drebin's rescue, "OTACOOOOOOON!"

I love this game.

@Breegulbeak: I agree, it's one of the best, if not the best ending to one of my favorite games of all time. I skipped it during my MGS series playthrough since I plan to do the "Snake trilogy" and then the "Big Boss trilogy" ending with MGSV. I just hope I can get a PS4 by then. :p

The Colonel 1st August 2015 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yiffgurl (Post 1247398)
i spent two hours trying to beat the final boss in dr mario 64 today and i havent felt such a rush from beating a game in a long time

i also started up ff6 but im not very far yet, going to start up megaman 64 and maybe re2 soon also

just so you know, mega man 64 is apparently kinda worse than legends, the ps1 version. supposed to have some performance issues and the voice clips are really compressed, and the voice acting is half the fun of mega man legends. might also control worse, but i'm not sure on that one

DarthConker 1st August 2015 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yiffgurl (Post 1247398)
i spent two hours trying to beat the final boss in dr mario 64 today and i havent felt such a rush from beating a game in a long time

i also started up ff6 but im not very far yet, going to start up megaman 64 and maybe re2 soon also

Have you ever played Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine? I know you like puzzle games in that vein, and this one is ridiculously difficult, at least I remember the CPU being a cheating asshole when I last played it several years ago in one of the Gamecube Genesis collections.

The Colonel 1st August 2015 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yiffgurl (Post 1247408)
@ colonel - i just got mm64 bc i wanted to add to my dream of owning every n64 game someday

that's cool, you just really might wanna play legends if it's your first time playing it cause it actually looks better and the voice clips in 64 are almost illegibly compressed, plus it doesn't even have proper analog movement so it doesn't have any control advantages over playing it on the ps1

in other news i tried using an enhanced shaders mod for new vegas but it killed performance and i don't want to run it slower than 60fps if i don't have to so i'm just gonna stick with pretty textures

Smouvy 1st August 2015 11:57 AM

I now own GTA V for PC

Brian 1st August 2015 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smouvy (Post 1247422)
I now own GTA V for PC

Once you install it, we should play online some time!

Esteban Colberto 1st August 2015 10:11 PM

I'm replaying through GTAIV once again. I do enjoy its story, and Niko. Gonna play Episodes From Liberty City, which I never have. If I get a new console I'll probably get a GTAV bundle. Even if I've beaten it already, I'm in that mood. I really want to give it another chance because it *is* a very entertaining game.

Brian 2nd August 2015 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Esteban Colberto (Post 1247463)
I'm replaying through GTAIV once again. I do enjoy its story, and Niko. Gonna play Episodes From Liberty City, which I never have. If I get a new console I'll probably get a GTAV bundle. Even if I've beaten it already, I'm in that mood. I really want to give it another chance because it *is* a very entertaining game.

The Lost and the Damned was incredible. I like the main character, Johnny Klebitz.

Despite everything he does in TLaD, and despite hating drugs, he goes back to the same lifestyle he had and succumbs to drug addiction some time after TLaD ends. Trevor from GTA 5 murders him in the first cutscene featuring Trevor, which sucks too

The Colonel 2nd August 2015 02:10 AM

http://i.imgur.com/fl6jQxE.jpg

DarthConker 2nd August 2015 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Colonel (Post 1247469)

Those painted cinematics that display after you make major choices in my game are one of my favorite things about the first game. Sadly they get rid of for the other games and stick with some weird graphic novel-esque art style.

Esteban Colberto 2nd August 2015 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 1247465)
The Lost and the Damned was incredible. I like the main character, Johnny Klebitz.

Despite everything he does in TLaD, and despite hating drugs, he goes back to the same lifestyle he had and succumbs to drug addiction some time after TLaD ends. Trevor from GTA 5 murders him in the first cutscene featuring Trevor, which sucks too

I'm probably gonna buy it today. :D

Brian 2nd August 2015 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Esteban Colberto (Post 1247498)
I'm probably gonna buy it today. :D

I think you'll enjoy it. I never played the Ballad of Gay Tony but I wanna play that too some time.

AndyNPC 2nd August 2015 10:16 PM

I've been playing with the Legened of Zelda Randomizer. It's breathing new life into the game for me now that I don't know where everything is already. By the way, the seed I'm using is 129627883225 on Mixed Quest and Random%.
Hope you know where all the hidden recorder stairs are. You do know there's more than one of those, right?