The Rare Witch Project Forums

The Rare Witch Project Forums (https://www.therwp.com/forums/index.php)
-   Rare & Playtonic (https://www.therwp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Donkey Kong Country Returns! FINALLY (https://www.therwp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38625)

Hey, I'm Grump 13th June 2010 11:56 AM

Donkey Kong Country Returns! FINALLY

It's official. Donkey Kong Country is returning with Retro Studios at the helm. They are doing what Rare could not.

I PITY K.ROO! 13th June 2010 12:43 PM

...I just jizzed in my pants.

Twi 13th June 2010 01:33 PM

But will it be a DKC style reboot, or an original DK reboot?

Pstriple 13th June 2010 04:10 PM

As M.Bison would of said it...

YES!

The Banjonator 13th June 2010 04:27 PM

Heheh, Imagine they made Donkey Kong an FPS like they did Metroid. :P

Can't wait to see what they'll do with it. I loved the games they made, so far.

DEWadict 13th June 2010 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwilightVestige (Post 803720)
But will it be a DKC style reboot, or an original DK reboot?

Original in what sense? Original as in a whole new gameplay and story line? Or original in the sense of giant-ape-steals-blonde-girl-from-carpenter/plumber-causing-Universal-to-try-to-sue-Nintendo original?

I mean, chances are, if this is true, it will be either a DKC-style sidescroller with Wii motion controls to modernize it or a DK64-style adventure-platformer complete with Wii-enhanced FPS silliness.

Something tells me that after all the flops DK has experienced since they sold Rare, Nintendo isn't going to be as willing to allow any revolutionary adjustments to the ultra-successful nineties formulas.

mr.mumbo 13th June 2010 06:51 PM

Wow! This is seriously awesome if true. I'm sure Retro will do a great job with the title like they have with all of the other games they have made. If Nintendo announces Starfox this year as well, then they have automatically won E3.

TRBB 13th June 2010 07:18 PM

It better have co-op if this is true.

Dr. Worm 13th June 2010 08:51 PM

My jaw just hit the floor.

shadowbulba 13th June 2010 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstriple (Post 803762)
As M.Bison would of said it...

YES!

I thought he says Of Course!

Kain Horward 13th June 2010 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowbulba (Post 803917)
I thought he says Of Course!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Twi 14th June 2010 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEWadict (Post 803775)
Or original in the sense of giant-ape-steals-blonde-girl-from-carpenter/plumber-causing-Universal-to-try-to-sue-Nintendo original?

This one.

I thought Miyamoto didn't like DKC?

It wouldn't make much sense though as most are familiar with Rare's DK.

Zondekel 14th June 2010 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwilightVestige (Post 804008)
This one.

I thought Miyamoto didn't like DKC?

It wouldn't make much sense though as most are familiar with Rare's DK.

No, I think it was that DKC was so popular with its graphics that people weren't paying as much attention to Super Mario World or something. He stated something along the lines of how gamers seem to care more about graphics and will ignore average / mediocre gameplay like from DKC. Then he apologized later on, saying that he was just under a lot of pressure from Nintendo telling him to make a game like DKC.
Then he game out with Yoshi's Island with its crayon graphics, and all was good.

I think... I may be a tad off in that explanation...

Masked Hero 14th June 2010 02:16 AM

Epic. Retro won't fail.

BKGeno4Ever 14th June 2010 02:32 AM

I hope for a DK_Epic_Win_Platformer.

Crystal Mech 14th June 2010 03:56 AM

Hopefully this won't be a let down reveal like the past two games (Jungle Climber and Barrel Blast, aside from DK Jungle Beat), but I've got good hopes for a new, better DK game.

Unexpected 14th June 2010 02:34 PM

Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they just say "I think you'll be very excited when you find out what we're working on"? This is far from hinting they are making a DK game, it could be anything. Saying it's a DK game is just an assumption.

DEWadict 14th June 2010 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nintendo_Fan128 (Post 804415)
Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they just say "I think you'll be very excited when you find out what we're working on"? This is far from hinting they are making a DK game, it could be anything. Saying it's a DK game is just an assumption.

Yea, I don't know where the DK bit comes from, either.
I'm just posting here so people pay attention to me.

Twi 14th June 2010 05:41 PM

A phoenix rises from its own ashes. Rare dies and DK begins anew*.

Irony.

*Maybe

Unexpected 14th June 2010 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwilightVestige (Post 804482)
A phoenix rises from its own ashes. Rare dies and DK begins anew*.

Irony.

*Maybe

Ha, nice :D

Gruntling 15th June 2010 06:18 PM

This makes me so happy! Retro is a pretty good studio when it comes to developing awesome games, so I have faith they'll live up to Rare's work. The Donkey Kong Country trilogy is up there among the best, so I'm super excited for this!

Kain Horward 15th June 2010 06:30 PM

It's true!

Donkey Kong Country Returns!

Hey, I'm Grump 15th June 2010 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kain Horward (Post 805438)
It's true!

Donkey Kong Country Returns!

And it looks ****ing awesome. So much so that it and Zelda are forcing me to rebuy the Wii tomorrow.

OldKingCoal 15th June 2010 06:56 PM

Ah...this year was a good E3...the only thing that's missing is StarFox....

Kain Horward 15th June 2010 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldKingCoal (Post 805486)
Ah...this year was a good E3...the only thing that's missing is StarFox....

They hinted at a StarFox game for 3DS (the Arwing flying out of the screen in the one video)

Here's the trailer for DKC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywVEIlOgdm8

:D

Teafed 15th June 2010 07:12 PM

Wow, I can't wait for it!

Keegan 15th June 2010 07:38 PM

Looks awesome!

Jinjoman 15th June 2010 08:02 PM

It looks like my prayers have been answered! I haven't played a DK game since DK64; and that's likely going to change.

DEWadict 15th June 2010 08:29 PM

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

HomsaHedgehog 15th June 2010 09:52 PM

Yes! *Breaks into the Retro studios HQ and steals demo copy of DKCR*

BlueytheWalrus 15th June 2010 10:11 PM

I went apeshit when I heard the news.

DK, I just want you to know that I love you.

Myriad 15th June 2010 10:50 PM

Co - Op!

Quote:

* For the first time ever, the franchise features the ability for two people to play together at the same time (additional accessories required and are sold separately) - one as Donkey Kong, one as Diddy Kong. Players can navigate the levels separately or as one unit. Diddy Kong can ride on Donkey Kong's back and hop off whenever he pleases, allowing novice players to ride on Donkey Kong's back through more challenging areas of the game.
Hidden items, puzzle pieces and other surprises are found all through the jungle. Spell out K-O-N-G by the end of each level to earn an extra bonus.

Kain Horward 15th June 2010 10:52 PM

^Oh my god, K-O-N-G letters returning!!!!

And 2 player co-op!!

Yes!

Dylan Yoshi 16th June 2010 12:25 AM

Remember K. Rool's outfit from Super Mario Sluggers? Look at how tiki-themed this one is.

RELATION BETWEEN THE TWO?

TRBB 16th June 2010 12:36 AM

CO-OP CONFIRMED!!! Now I can play it with my friends! *Cpt. Falcon Voice* YES!

Teafed 16th June 2010 12:37 AM

Yay, Co-Op! But I have no one to play with...

Edit: ^ lol

Masked Hero 16th June 2010 12:37 AM

I love you Retro.

Kain Horward 16th June 2010 02:29 AM

http://e3.nintendo.com/wii/game/?g=dkcr
^DK info on Nintendo's E3 website

Quote:

Controlled by a group of evil Tikis, the animals in Donkey Kong Island have raided Donkey Kong's Banana Hoard and stolen his stash of bananas - and he understandably wants them back. Retro Studios brings Donkey Kong™ back in a new side-scrolling adventure with familiar characters and new levels that reignite the passion players had for the Super NES™ original.
No K. Rool/Kremlings...ah well.

Dylan Yoshi 16th June 2010 02:39 AM

http://www.mariowiki.com/File:KingK.RoolMSS.png
Looks rather tribal, does it not? This game could have very well been in production at the same time as Super Mario Sluggers.

I'm calling it. K. Rool convinced the tikis to raid DK's banana hoard and will turn out to be the puppet master. Remember DKC3? Until the end, the main villain was supposed to be a robot named KAOS. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened here.

If not, oh well. At least DK isn't a terrorist this time (Jungle Beat).

Kain Horward 16th June 2010 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Yoshi (Post 805881)
http://www.mariowiki.com/File:KingK.RoolMSS.png
Looks rather tribal, does it not? This game could have very well been in production at the same time as Super Mario Sluggers.

I'm calling it. K. Rool convinced the tikis to raid DK's banana hoard and will turn out to be the puppet master. Remember DKC3? Until the end, the main villain was supposed to be a robot named KAOS. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened here.

If not, oh well. At least DK isn't a terrorist this time (Jungle Beat).

Really? Hmm, I never played DKC3 to be honest, so maybe you're right. I can't imagine why they would've put K. Rool out of the blue in Mario Super Sluggers (I always called him Pharaoh K. Roolenkhamun in that game :p) if they weren't going to use him in any other games.

Either way, this is easily my most anticipated game this year now!