The Rare Witch Project Forums

The Rare Witch Project Forums (https://www.therwp.com/forums/index.php)
-   Rare & Playtonic (https://www.therwp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Donkey Kong Country Returns! FINALLY (https://www.therwp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38625)

Goveynetcom 16th June 2010 05:13 AM

Maybe King K. Rool will be brought back (he is the true main villain), I mean they wouldn't (normally) through Bowser out like that, why do it to DK's villain?

Tikimen aside, I am stoked for this game and will definitely be getting a copy.

Derek 16th June 2010 05:33 AM

There is not a thing I've seen about this that makes me skeptical. It looks exactly like what I've always wanted and more. The fact that Diddy rides on DK's back cool and they can perform special team moves it appears.

Dylan Yoshi 16th June 2010 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shed_a_Ninja (Post 805957)
Donkey Kong Country Returns has been in development at Retro Studios since 2006.

King K. Rool's Aztec-like getup in Mario Super Sluggers was a foreshadowing.

No doubts remain.

Mandolin 16th June 2010 06:17 PM

Well, hey! DKC again! Who'da thunk it? And to think that just a few weeks back, we were all fretting about how they'd never revisit this series again... actually, the fretting was mostly on my part. But, still. What a gift from Video Game Heaven. As soon as I heard about this, it became my single most anticipated game since Twilight Princess. And it's coming out this year! I do have some mild reservations, though...

First, the Kremlings. I don't see them. I guess K. Rool's tribal outfit in the baseball game might be foreshadowing, but part of me thinks that's a rather weak omen. There seem to be either evil apes or mole-men in the mine cart stages. It'll be odd to see anything other than Kremling mooks riding on there. Secondly, I didn't see any animal buddies. I'd have expected Rambi to be among the first things they churn out, were this a true return to the series. As it is, it looks like a hybrid between the first DKC and DKJB. Not a bad thing in and of itself, but I'm still a little wary. In any case, I can forget about seeing Rattly again (or as I like to call him, Quadruple Amputee Yoshi).

Then there are the Tikimen. Well, they're OK, I guess. That little tribal chief guy riding on that airship looks pretty funny, it'll be fun to bash his face in at the end of the stage (game?). My main complaint about them is that, up until now, there had been no magic in the DKC world... Inca Dinca Doo is not pleased. On the upside, Donkey and Diddy fight the Reek from Attack of the Clones! Honestly, I never thought I'd see the day. And they have that "Canadian barrel roll" attack Dixie and Kiddy did in DKC3. As far as throwbacks go, that's a pretty epic one.

Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait!

Tooie 16th June 2010 08:34 PM

DKC4?

OH GOD I JUST CAME

TRBB 16th June 2010 09:40 PM

I see a Jiggy on the right side of the screen when the camera zooms in on DK Isle. ;)

Dukemike 16th June 2010 09:55 PM

I've anticipated this ever since... well... last night.

It looks absolutely foolproof, perfected, rounded, and hell, if it's been in development since 06, it will have some damn good quality to it.

And HOLY ****NUGGETS THAT IS A JIGGY.

Qwazin 16th June 2010 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRBB (Post 806238)
I see a Jiggy on the right side of the screen when the camera zooms in on DK Isle. ;)

I'll be damned...!

Teafed 16th June 2010 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRBB (Post 806238)

Where? I can't see it...

Keegan 16th June 2010 10:30 PM

Obv. not a Jiggy.

It's one of the K-O-N-G letters in puzzle format.

Aaron Anderson 16th June 2010 11:36 PM

Great, but who will compose the soundtrack?

Mandolin 16th June 2010 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Anderson (Post 806336)
Great, but who will compose the soundtrack?

Oh, right, the soundtrack.

The fact that it hadn't even crossed my mind must mean that I have low expectations for it. I haven't ever heard video game music as good as Rare's stuff, but since I've never played the Metroid Prime trilogy, I don't know how well Retro has typically done. I guess we can expect DKJB level and style, but I'm really hoping for more.

Dylan Yoshi 17th June 2010 12:04 AM

According to Iwata Asks, they want to make the music as much like the original games' music as possible.

Jinjo Chao 17th June 2010 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Yoshi (Post 805881)
I'm calling it. K. Rool convinced the tikis to raid DK's banana hoard and will turn out to be the puppet master. Remember DKC3? Until the end, the main villain was supposed to be a robot named KAOS. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened here.

But DKC3 still had random Kremlings, this doesn't appear to.

Dylan Yoshi 17th June 2010 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jinjo Chao (Post 806380)
But DKC3 still had random Kremlings, this doesn't appear to.

But they weren't the same Kremlings as in the first two games- They were from an entirely different country. Normal Kremlings wouldn't show up in a case like this- It takes place on DK Isle again and if Kremlings appeared, it would make it obvious that the villain is K. Rool. It'd be like if you included the Koopalings in a Mario game and Bowser was expected to be a surprise.

Twi 17th June 2010 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Yoshi (Post 806357)
According to Iwata Asks, they want to make the music as much like the original games' music as possible.

Hey, isn't David Wise free now?

TRBB 17th June 2010 02:59 AM

^ HE IS ISNT HE?!? DDSTGOBDJYSREFXXNBTDR DAVID WISE NOA!

Esteban Colberto 17th June 2010 03:00 AM

Cool but why is this is New Rareware? New Rareware is now for Kinect Sports discussions.

Edit: Never mind. Until today I never even knew a "Donkey Kong" sub-forum existed.

Cheesy9 17th June 2010 04:04 AM

Game looks awesome, Day 1 for me. Still though, the lack of animal buddies (Rambi, Enguarde, Squawks), and classic enemies like Zingers, Gnawtys, and Kremlins is a little disheartening. I have faith though that regardless, Retro will deliver a great Donkey Kong game.

Kain Horward 17th June 2010 06:10 AM

Gameplay vid! It looks soooo good!

And I don't know if that music is from the game or not, but if it is HOT DAMN!

This game needs to come out yesterday!

Oh, in the "Iwata Asks" DKC interview it was mentioned that they want to keep the music as close to the original SNES games as they possibly can. :D

The Pizza Boy 17th June 2010 08:14 AM

The Jiggy is actually a coin piece.

http://digitalchumps.com/video-galle...y-returns.html

Klungo 20th June 2010 08:46 PM

It may not have seemed like it in the past few years, but Nintendo really know how to cater to everyone, even the hardcore.

Kain Horward 20th June 2010 08:59 PM

Okay, Kremlings/K. Rool have been confirmed to be out:

Quote:

Retro: There are no crocodiles in the game. (laughs)
The soundtrack is being composed by Metroid composer Kenji Yamamoto. He has a lot of experience writing moody atmospheric songs for Metroid so I wouldn't be worried too much about his ability to score a DKC game.

Link: http://wii.ign.com/articles/109/1099190p1.html

Mandolin 20th June 2010 10:17 PM

OK, insane theory time: you know how the tikis cursed the animals of DK Island and made them evil? Well, I theorize that the Reek from the trailer (the large orange animal with a horn on its face, for the non Star Wars-initiated) is actually cursed!Rambi, and once Donkey and Diddy pwn him, he'll go back to his usual, friendly self.

Agree? ;)

Dukemike 21st June 2010 12:35 AM

Coo be.

Coo be not.

Mandolin 21st June 2010 12:41 AM

I sure hope so, though! I need to see more DKC characters in DKCR to reach the climax of my DKCGasm.

cooperace27 30th June 2010 08:17 PM

Finally, my Wii can be used for games that I like :D

Dylan Yoshi 30th June 2010 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kain Horward (Post 806759)
Okay, Kremlings/K. Rool have been confirmed to be out

They said that there weren't going to be any crocodiles. They never said anything about Kremlings, which is obviously an entirely different species.

In all seriousness, it's unlikely, but we'll just have to wait and see.

frankieforever 1st July 2010 04:10 AM

Oh, hell yeh!! There is a god!

Mandolin 1st July 2010 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Yoshi (Post 809545)
They said that there weren't going to be any crocodiles. They never said anything about Kremlings, which is obviously an entirely different species.

In all seriousness, it's unlikely, but we'll just have to wait and see.

I doubt it. Nobody in the industry seems to like the Kremlings, calling them "generic" or somesuch (even though, really, they aren't). In fact, the absence of Kremlings seems to be part of the pitch on this one, even though those tikis look extremely uninteresting. It could be some kind of a crazy ploy to surprise us with K. Rool and gain even more fan love, but, as you said, it's unlikely.

Unexpected 2nd July 2010 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin (Post 809697)
I doubt it. Nobody in the industry seems to like the Kremlings, calling them "generic"

Uh? I've never seen such comments.

Mandolin 2nd July 2010 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nintendo_Fan128 (Post 809972)
Uh? I've never seen such comments.

Well, Miyamoto doesn't like them. He said they "weren't fresh enough for modern audiences" when work started on Jungle Beat. If you watch the E3 interview from the guys at Retro, you'll see that the Japanese guy from Nintendo proper seemed to cringe at the mention of K. Rool and said he didn't want to feature him in the game unless he had to. It's just a feeling I get. Nobody in the industry seems to think highly of the Kremlings.

Solid Snix 3rd July 2010 11:37 PM

Miyamoto didn't like much about Rare's take on the series.

Mandolin 4th July 2010 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super_Nintendo6 (Post 810482)
Miyamoto didn't like much about Rare's take on the series.

Well, in his latest interview, he said that was all just a rumor, and that he in fact worked very closely with Rare...

Mazter Xero 4th July 2010 01:53 AM

WHAT.

What IS DKC without Kremlings?

Later what, hmmm. New Super Mario without Koopas?

Unexpected 4th July 2010 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazter Xero (Post 810521)
WHAT.

What IS DKC without Kremlings?

Later what, hmmm. New Super Mario without Koopas?

Super Mario Sunshine :smug:

Hey, I'm Grump 4th July 2010 03:44 PM

Retro said no Crocodiles, not no Kremlings. What is a DKC without Kremlings? Even Retro know this.

Lakitu 4th July 2010 09:48 PM

Why would they say "there will be no crocodiles" if the Kremlings will make a comeback? The only enemies resembling crocodiles as far as I can remember are the Kremlings. It's obvious that they are referring to the Kremlings.

Mandolin 4th July 2010 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakitu (Post 810750)
Why would they say "there will be no crocodiles" if the Kremlings will make a comeback? The only enemies resembling crocodiles as far as I can remember are the Kremlings. It's obvious that they are referring to the Kremlings.

Sadly, I agree. I'm starting to get used to the idea of Tikimen, though...