The Rare Witch Project Forums

The Rare Witch Project Forums (https://www.therwp.com/forums/index.php)
-   Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop (https://www.therwp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   SNS update: I think I know which 4 of the 6 eggs we are supposed to get (https://www.therwp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1287)

hatrickpatrick 23rd February 2005 01:28 PM

but
I think u have to get the icekey as well....

cyberen 23rd February 2005 11:12 PM

news flash:

Stop n' Swop is DEAD.

Banjo's Banjo 23rd February 2005 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolt Dragoon, 2001
news flash:

Stop n' Swop is DEAD.

Fixed. Sort of. ;)

While I can say this search is probably a futile effort, I do have to say that at least this forum (the RWP in general) has benefited from a sudden burst in BK interest, whether in regards to SnS or not. The last few months have seen a huge growth in membership here, which is definitely a good thing.

So even if this research turns up nothing (which is likely, as I highly doubt that SnS in any real form is still accessable.), at least it resulted in conversation. :cool:

Benjo Koolzooie 24th February 2005 12:49 PM

I agree.

I doubt SnS still will be found in its working form. However, discussions about it are always interesting.

dmoss 24th February 2005 03:51 PM

Okay, I think that's all cool and everything, but could someone explain to me happened while I was gone? Where did all this hub-bub come up about needing only four SnS eggs? Have we found a way to connect the games or something? :eek:

Banjo-Fella 24th February 2005 04:21 PM

I severely doubt we'll find anything, but I find this fun all the same. It's all a bit nostalgic, really. ;)

Benjo Koolzooie 25th February 2005 11:38 AM

I think all eggs were needed to be honest.

hatrickpatrick 25th February 2005 11:43 AM

Quote:

Where did all this hub-bub come up about needing only four SnS eggs?
GTBG has a board in it which says that, and I for one seriously do think there's another cutscene in BK. If they left all this in, they MUST have left in the cutscene as well...

dmoss 25th February 2005 04:03 PM

Okay, thanks. I actually read the article explaining this last night, and understand that it was a fake. My bad...

Benjo Koolzooie 25th February 2005 05:35 PM

Oh yes..the board on GBTG, forgot about that.

What are the pictures on the board accompanying the 4 eggs and key??

Perhaps they just drew 4 eggs on for the sake? Perhaps 6 eggs on the board would have made it looked messy.

MarcX 25th February 2005 06:35 PM

Erm, excuse me, but in pc games... (expects everyone to stop reading now T_T) I've always been able to find all the text even if it was encrypted. You just find the decryption algorithm. Can someone explain to me why this is not possible here, or should I try and explain how it is possible on pc?

slaphappy 25th February 2005 08:56 PM

The text is compressed. It is like trying to extract the text from a zip file without knowing the decompression algorithm. Good luck.

Hakey Wake 25th February 2005 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banjo's Banjo
Fixed. Sort of. ;)

-laughs-

Those were the days. :D

MarcX 26th February 2005 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slaphappy
The text is compressed. It is like trying to extract the text from a zip file without knowing the decompression algorithm. Good luck.

It has to decompress it to print it on screen. While it's printing it on screen, you can search the memory for the text, breakpointmemory write it. When the text is no longer on screen, it will attempt to erase the text. You will end up in the function that erases the text no longer needed on screen. Where does it get it's pointer? How does it know what text to erase? If you trace back to where it's passed a pointer to the text, and then continue to backtrace far enough, you will find the place where this pointer is created, ie, the text is decompressed. Reverse this algorithm, and you know the decompression algorithm T_T

The most probably way of continuing from here is to 'decompress' the entire initialized data memory and then running a string searcher on it. Of course, all of the above requires you to be able to attach a debugger to the game. Is this possible on consoles? There has got to be equipment for that.

SubDrag 26th February 2005 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcX
Reverse this algorithm, and you know the decompression algorithm T_T

I don't think you realize the sheer difficulty in reverse engineering compression routines in assembly. It's hard enough to reverse engineer it in C...