The Rare Witch Project Forums

The Rare Witch Project Forums (https://www.therwp.com/forums/index.php)
-   Rare & Playtonic (https://www.therwp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   New Hint to the Ice Key in DK64 (https://www.therwp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53373)

Exchord 17th August 2014 09:47 PM

New Hint to the Ice Key in DK64

While messing around with Intro Story Glitch, I found an unused cutscene in DK's house (cutscene 1 in map 171/AB). The camera moves over to the corner to the left of the exit. Then it stays there for a few seconds and the screen suddenly fades out to send DK to the place with a Chunky pad in Crystal Caves.

I have found several things in DK64 that make no sense to me, but this trick (and a comment about the ice key on my video) had me thinking. The spot that the camera shows is where the locker (or shower stall, I don't know what it is) with the Banjo-Kazooie poster used to be during the development.

It's pretty obvious that Rare was originally planning to have that locker/shower stall send the player to a secret place which held the ice key or the lock it was meant to open. The unused cutscene showing the spot where a beta object used to be and the warp to an ice-themed subarea are strong hints. Also, why would Rare bother implementing a cutscene warp to Crystal Caves from a place that isn't meant to have any connection to a level?

The small cave with the Chunky pad probably used to be separated from the rest of Crystal Caves. Warping there may have required a 101% completion of the game, or 100% if the ice key was to be obtained in Caves and ended up being replaced with the 201st Golden Banana.

Out of curiosity, I used a cutscene modifier to look for unused cutscenes in the ice key cave. Here's what I found:

Cutscene 15/F: camera slowly zooms in for 2-3 seconds
Cutscene 16/10: camera slowly zooms out for about 5 seconds
Cutscene 26/1A: camera slowly zooms in for 2-3 seconds, then stays still for about 12 seconds

Unfortunately, the cutscenes themselves don't activate anything, so it remains unknown what exactly was supposed to happen. The object(s) related to the ice key have been either completely removed from the map or placed somewhere out of bounds, so I don't know if you can interact with them using cheats.

Keegan 17th August 2014 10:03 PM

this is genuinely interesting

BanjoPL 18th August 2014 07:47 AM

Awesome find! Most likely there was icy lock at icy wall in Chunky Cave in Crystal Caves. And lever.
BK Shower/Fridge was removed when Ice Key feature was removed from DK64 between June 1999 and November 1999.

N64DD 18th August 2014 07:56 AM

whoa sweet good to know there's still some goodies to be found here

DementedSun 18th August 2014 01:38 PM

If any of the games still have stuff like this in them, it was definitely going to be DK64. Nice to know that people are still messing around looking for beta things, :D.

slaphappy 9th January 2019 12:32 AM

I hate bumping a thread from 4 1/2 years ago, but I just saw a video that referenced this and came back the RWP to see if it had been discussed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcWfwvsw7Jw

This is fascinating, and made me dig up my old notes on the BK hacking I was doing over a decade ago. My last efforts, left unfinished, were trying to get the BK cut scenes to fire from start up of the game. We see them via Sandcastle codes, but a hot swap of some memory to BK should have triggered a cut scene to be displayed. I never could reconcile when the cut scene would have been displayed, but was looking at the initial musical prelude since the SNS data, when retrieved via sandcastle code, was stored outside of and not specific to a game save. In hindsight, displaying a cut scene from the start room, Banjos house, would make some sense.

The was very interesting and brought back some fun memories.

weighta 11th January 2019 05:59 AM

Yeah that is a neat compilation. I remember playing in Waza's cave when I was about 9 years old and just leaving Banjo looking at the ice window. I would just watch the Ice Key spin from my bed as it just fulfilled so much curiosity.