The Rare Witch Project Forums

The Rare Witch Project Forums (https://www.therwp.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Gaming (https://www.therwp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   HAT TCG General (https://www.therwp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55181)

30-50 feral rats 17th December 2016 05:18 PM

TCG General

Discuss and arrange matches for Yu-gi-oh, Magic: the Gathering, Pokemon TCG, and other collectible/trading card games here.

I used to play Yugioh casually among friends and acquaintances. I won't claim to be particularly good, but I did collect a good number of cards over the years, whether they came from booster packs or others passing their collections over to me. The four decks I had were a Crystal Beasts deck, a Naturia deck, a Mermail deck and a somewhat generic earth deck with loads of insects for getting out Doom Dozers. I did also occasionally get my hands on a few Pokemon cards, and I have a bunch of old ones in the attic. I probably played my first few and only games of it just over a year ago when I was down the old internet cafe we used to have here, and I enjoyed the little I got to play.

However, last year I got into MTG, and I've been hooked ever since. The resource management aspect of it in particular really appeals to me, since it offers the opportunity to face many choices as you play which may bring you closer to or further from victory. I've been attending pre-release events for new sets and competing in modern standard and block-based limited games, arranging sessions and drafts in the backroom of the local pub, usually buying whole booster boxes to do so. It's been a while since my last game, but I'm already itching to get back to it.

If anyone would be interested in a game of any of these three online somewhere, or even another card game, I'd be stoked to play. I may fail to provide decent competition depending on what it is, but I like to think I grasp things quickly.

neen 15th January 2017 11:16 PM

I got into MTG in middle school. That was around 2000, with Odyssey block. I fell out of it for years and then got back into it in a casual way in 2014 with friends.

I fell back out of it soon after but I still have all my cards.

neen 19th February 2017 01:22 AM

So, I made a new casual Magic deck. Here it is:

LANDS
4x Mishra's Factory
4x Flooded Strand
11x island
2x Plains

ARTIFACTS
4x Lotus Petal
4x Isochron Scepter

CREATURES
4x Delver of Secrets
3x Mother of Runes

SORCERIES
4x Ponder

INSTANTS
4x Boomerang
4x Impulse
4x Counterspell
4x Brainstorm
4x Swords to Plowshares

neen 9th March 2017 06:25 PM

Put together a fun list for a Painter's Servant casual deck.

ARTIFACTS
4x Grindstone
4x Lotus Petal

INSTANTS
4x Red Elemental Blast
4x Pyroblast
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Manamorphose
4x Enlightened Tutor
4x Path to Exile (or Swords to Plowshares)

CREATURES
4x Painter's Servant
4x Simian Spirit Guide

LAND
12x Mountain
4x Plains
4x Arid Mesa

Terp 20th March 2017 05:51 AM

I have a new EDH deck, since Commander is the only format that gets played amongst my friends. I'll post the list tomorrow. Mono-blue battlefield control/leviathan beatdown/superfriends. Missing a Tamiyo, The Moon Sage and a chain veil, though...

Terp 21st March 2017 05:34 PM

PEER THROUGH TIME -
COMMANDER - Teferi, Temporal Archmage

PLANESWALKERS [2]
Jace, Unraveler of Secrets
Tezzeret the Seeker

CREATURES [24]
Azure Mage
Fathom Seer
Fog Bank
Willbender
Dulcet Sirens
Riptide Survivor
Sea Gate Oracle
Shaper Parasite
Reef Worm
Ixidron
Stitcher Geralf
Mulldrifter
Stormsurge Kraken
Brine Elemental
Frost Titan
Sphinx of Jwar Isle
Sphinx of Magosi
Steel Hellkite
Phyrexian Ingestor
Sohinx of Uthuun
Lorthos, the Tidemaker
Artisan of Kozilek
Breaching Leviathan
Deep-Sea Kraken

ARTIFACTS [13]
Everflowing Chalice
Sol Ring
Mind Stone
Sapphire Medallion
Sky Diamond
Swiftfoot Boots
Commander's Sphere
Worn Powerstone
Assault Suit
Nevinyrral's Disk
Thran Dynamo
Ur-Golem's Eye
Dreamstone Hedron

INSTANT AND SORCERY [18]
Pongify
Cyclonic Rift
Into the Roil
Turn to Frog
Cackling Counterpart
Call to Mind
Compulsive Research
Distorting Wake
Exclude
Stroke of Genius
Dismiss
Domineering Will
Rite of Replication
Æther Gale
Intellectual Offering
Rush of Knowledge
Stolen Identity
Beacon of Tomorrow

ENCHANTMENT [4]
Quest for Ula's Temple
Fool's Demise
Infinite Reflection
Well of Ideas

LAND [38]
Island x29
Coral Atoll
Ghost Quarter
Lonely Sandbar
Myriad Landscape
Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
Reliquary Tower
Remote Isle
Tectonic Edge
Zoetic Cavern

Edit: Removed concentrate and crown of doom for beacon of tomorrows and stolen identity

neen 24th March 2017 01:17 PM

I played commander with my playgroup in 2014-2015 for a bit, along with pauper 100-card singleton. I never really liked 100-card singleton formats though. I think I'd like pauper more as a regular 60 card deck format.

And I've decided to build Painter/Stone, kind of like described above, but with some major changes to hopefully be a legacy deck eventually.

Terp 31st May 2017 07:18 AM

So I've talked about my Bird Mill Deck in the Discord 1uite a bit and I'm gonna upload a decklist, and if anyone's interested, do a Q&A session on the strategy and decisions in the deck, along with a post detailing all the stupid shenanigans it does.

Decklist:

Commander
Mizzix of the Izmagnus (U/R)

Creatures [13]
Walking Atlas
Nivix Guildmage
Jace's Archivist
Gigantoplasm
Talrand, Sky Summoner
Mnemonic Wall
Lone Revenant
Illusory Ambusher
Psychosis Crawler
Charmbreaker Devils
Arjun, the Shifting Flame
Etherium-Horn Sorcerer
Melek, Izzet Paragon

Artifacts [6]
Sol Ring
Elixer of Immortality
Swiftfoot Boots
Izzet Signet
Thought Vessel
Seal of the Guildpact

Enchantments [4]
Quest for Ancient Secrets
Jace's Erasure
Rite of the Raging
Thought Reflection

Sorceries[15]
Preordain
Vandalblast
Faithless Looting
Mizzium Mortars
Epic Experiment
Exhaustion
Windfall
Foresee
Stolen Goods
Mystic Retrieval
Right of Replication
Mizzix's Mastery
Chain Reaction
Call The Skybreaker
Blatant Thievery

Instants [23]
Blustersquall
Brainstorm
Repeal
Cyclonic Rift
Counterspell
Desperate Ravings
Dominate
Blue Sun's Zenith
Counterflux
Urza's Rage
Ætherize
Fact or Fiction
Stroke of Genius
Reins of Power
Rewind
Steam Augury
Psychic Spiral
Mystic Confluence
Word of Seizing
Prophetic Bolt
Æthersnatch
Mirror Match
Fireminds Foresight

Lands [38]
Island x 14
Mountain x 11
Evolving Wilds
Terramorphic Expanse
Command Tower
Vivid Creek
Vivid Crag
Izzet Boilerworks
Spinerock Knoll
Rogue's Passage
Izzet Guildgate
Halimar Depths
Reliquary Tower
Swiftwater Cliffs
Temple of the False God

Solid Snix 26th March 2018 06:13 AM

I've been running a Red/Blue SS3 Goku deck in Dragonball Super and it's fun. I'm trying to optimize it as much as possible. You have 51 cards in a deck counting the leader.

All players start with 8 life, which are represented by cards you draw from your deck and put under your leader at the start of the game. When taking damage, that life card goes into your hand unless the attacking card specifies otherwise.

At the start of every turn, you have the option of putting down a single one of the cards in your hand as energy. Red focuses on aggro while blue is about energy management.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Leader
Son Goku // Heightened Evolution Super Saiyan 3 Son Goku

Red
Saiyan Cabba x 4
Raging Cabba x 4
Hit x 4
Lighting Fast Hit x 4
Manipulating God Champa x 4
Furthering Destruction Champa x 4
Destructive Terror Champa x 4
Assassination Plot x 4
Vados's Assistance x 2

Blue
Energy Boosted Majin Buu x 4
Whis's Coercion x 4
Majin Defier, West Supreme Kai x 4
Powers Combined, Kibito Kai x 4

Sideboard
(These cards are all black. Black cards can usually be played without paying energy, as long as you have cards in "warp" - (banished))
Unrelenting Assault Trunks x 2 - 4
Haru Haru, Attacker Majin x 2 - 4
Shun Shun, Protector Majin x 2 - 4
Supreme Kai of Time, World's Protector x 2 - 4
Time's Judgement x 2 - 4

tl;dr: Does anyone who has more experience with card games and the patience to look through all that have any thoughts/advice?

neen 18th November 2018 01:37 PM

i've separated all of my legacy deck ideas into three decks:

mono-blue draw-go control
MUD (artifact ramp with metalworker)
red-white painter's servant combo

only the first two are built in paper currently, the third was broken down and the cards used for the first two.

neen 12th January 2019 12:43 PM

tried making a modern deck with some spare cards i had around. i kinda like it! play Atog, play a bunch of artifacts, then sacrifice the artifacts to make Atog huge, cast Fling to deal damage to opponent!

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/fling-a-tog/

neen 19th January 2019 02:15 PM

made a list for a 2002 mono green deck. odyssey block with some masques cards. if i cut out the mercadian masques block cards (vine trellis and blastoderm), it could be a legal deck for standard as it was from Nov 1 2002 to Feb 28 2003.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/its-big-green/

neen 1st October 2019 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=473181
Artifact Creature — Food Golem

:cool:

Danny Trabajo 5th October 2019 12:19 PM

I'd be up for some games of TCG sometime Alakazam, or anybody who wants to play, on https://tcgone.net. It's very easy to use, and free, although you obviously need to know the rules of Pokemon TCG.

Danny Trabajo 5th October 2019 06:23 PM

I sent you a friend request

Danny Trabajo 5th October 2019 06:26 PM

Which actually doesn't seem to do anything

Danny Trabajo 7th October 2019 07:38 PM

Would not mind playing some G/S or R/S set games either sometime if you want to

Danny Trabajo 7th October 2019 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alakazam (Post 1288265)
cool, lemme know which exact formats you make decks for and i'll give it a whirl

dunsparce is really good in R/S and that always made me happy

I have a few RS-on, Neo-on, Rocket-on and E-card I am happy to play with

Danny Trabajo 9th October 2019 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alakazam (Post 1288317)
i've got my old r/s deck built and i'm playing around with some neo-on ideas, happy to play both at any point today :yiffy

If you're on in like 5 minutes I can play then

Danny Trabajo 9th October 2019 04:48 PM

AH I see you

Danny Trabajo 9th October 2019 05:22 PM

Did a multiple time TCG world champion just join our game

Danny Trabajo 9th October 2019 06:03 PM

Must have been scouting new deck ideas. Two Marills and a Wobbuffet, the secret to my success

Danny Trabajo 9th October 2019 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alakazam (Post 1288327)
yeah that was really wild, guess he must've been surprised to see someone playing R/S

you probably found it already, but his website is actually really great, there's a lot of history about the game and a lot of solid blueprints for decks

https://jklaczpokemon.wordpress.com/

His website is great, I'm now really glad you took the initiative to tell him that when he dropped by

neen 11th October 2019 05:33 AM

sometimes i build a deck just so i can shuffle it [some sleeves surprise with slippery shuffling smoothness]

firealpha 26th March 2020 06:26 PM

That is a very fun art!

Mr/Sir Norris 11th May 2020 01:07 PM

I often have to stop myself from impulse buying Yu-Gi-Oh boosters from my local drug store, because I don't have any real use or place for them right now. But the feeling of opening a booster always sounds so tempting. Thinking I might try and get World Championship 2006 running on my phone to try it all out again, especially with the simpler mechanics. Found that Yu-Gi-Oh got a little bit too wild in recent times.

Zondekel 11th May 2020 01:44 PM

I still buy Pokemon card packs from time to time. I have no real use for them either and they end up staying in boxes, but I like the card art and it's always nice to see what the TCG is up to lately.

Mr/Sir Norris 11th May 2020 02:12 PM

I have a friend who collects Pokémon cards for that exact reason, they enjoy being able to collect and display artwork, which I appreciate completely. However I'm in a constant state of decluttering that I feel adding a new collection to would actively work against haha.

I just googled WC2006, found out I was talking about the 2004 worldwide edition derp (Stairway to the Destined Duel?). Time is weird.

When it comes to WW2004, I just love the aesthetic of the game. I feel they captured not only the battle city arc perfectly, but just the vibe and feel of 2004ish. Like that game felt so cutting edge and modern to me as a kid, and I feel like it holds up even today. Plus making a card game work within the limitations of the GBA and have it feel snappy is a design marvel to me.

Danny Trabajo 11th May 2020 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alakazam (Post 1295716)
let's play card games! and/or talk about card games!

would love to answer AMA questions about my TCG history, if anyone cares enough

If you get bored I'm down for TCGone sometime, any format.

Mr/Sir Norris 11th May 2020 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alakazam (Post 1295734)
SDD is 2003, 04 was just subtitled World Championship 2004 iirc

if you're thinking of the one with the map overworld though, that's 2003 - if so, that's my most played and still my go-to GBASP game

Feck I edited that about 3 or 4 times trying different years and still got it wrong lmao.

Yah 2003 sounds right with the blue overworld map and the Marik's underlings hiding amongst the public. Such a good game, so satisfying building up decks and collections. I remember there being a lot of broken cards in there still tho.

Zondekel 11th May 2020 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alakazam (Post 1295723)

i love and support the appreciation of PTCG as artwork

They've actually released a couple art books in Japan for just TCG art and I'd like to get them at some point.

Actually to that end, I do own this particular book that might be of interest..

https://ravegrl.files.wordpress.com/...girl.jpg?w=376

It's called "Art of the Cards" and I love it.

Danny Trabajo 11th May 2020 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alakazam (Post 1295752)
def

lately been playing "Worlds Format" 03-04, would love to play that 1 (it has all the e-reader sets, both WOTC and TPC, and it's balanced really well)

I'll mess around making a deck for it (probably already have at least one but it's been a while since I was on)

Mr/Sir Norris 19th May 2020 04:25 PM

I had forgotten how crappy the pay-off could be for so many ritual monsters. Like yay I needed a magic card and to sacrifice all these monsters from the field to get something that might be over 2000 ATK?

This all is making me want to go back and watch Battle City over again, tho I feel like the pacing would be so slow now.

Zondekel 27th August 2020 01:03 AM

I still have a few Neopets cards- mostly from cereal boxes when they did a promotion, but I think a couple were from when they had Neopets plushes as kids meal toys at McDonalds? Maybe? I certainly never looked into playing, but I liked the cart art for some of the rarer / better ones, like this one which I think came from a cereal box (not my picture)

There's a bunch of Darkest Faerie themed cards that are pretty rad and I'd like to track them down at some point.

Darkest Faerie
Darkest Faerie (another one)
Dinner is Served
Banishment
Annihilation

I'm a fan of this one because it's basically me

http://images.neopets.com/tcg/c/0049_RV49.gif

I really want to play the PS2 game at some point.

Zondekel 30th August 2020 09:08 PM

Not my picture, but I have this in a box somewhere:

https://d9nvuahg4xykp.cloudfront.net...9995262644.jpg

I'm seeing prices between $50 and almost $800, though I doubt it's truly worth anywhere near that high. Still, kinda neat that something I got from a booster pack when I was younger might be worth something now.

Actually, it's funny because I got it around the time I got my eReader and was incredibly confused as to why I couldn't scan it into the eReader, not realizing the barcode strip wasn't, you know, a barcode strip.

pastiche 14th September 2020 03:03 PM

I think I'm not generally too interested in TCG in most cases, and I'm not generally too interested in performing Tarot in most cases, but I'm a lot more interested in the idea of using TCG cards for Tarot-like purposes

Mr/Sir Norris 22nd September 2020 01:14 PM

I did my first ever MTG draft last Friday with some nerd friends. Was a bit odd hanging out with a newer group of folks but I had a blast. One of the friends in question has been playing Magic for probably close on 20 years so it was more a question of how long he would let us all keep playing hahah. Drafted from the 2021 set as well as an 1100 card "Instant Collection" we picked up for cheap. Definitely makes me see the appeal of large group MTG tho.

Mr/Sir Norris 22nd September 2020 08:05 PM

Noice. I know very little about the set as a whole but it was a lot of fun to draft and I managed to get a wide variety of good doggos in my Red/Green and splash of White jank lmao

neen 19th October 2020 03:20 AM

updated my commander deck. it's an artifact deck with mana rocks and stax pieces.

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/signet-stax/

the main idea is to introduce a stax element like winter orb, tangle wire, smokestack, or static orb and break parity so our opponents suffer more from those stax pieces than we do. through that we gain advantage and eventually win the game (hopefully)

neen 19th October 2020 03:50 AM

it's the most popular way to play magic for a reason.