The Rare Witch Project Forums

The Rare Witch Project Forums (https://www.therwp.com/forums/index.php)
-   Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop (https://www.therwp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   SNS update: I think I know which 4 of the 6 eggs we are supposed to get (https://www.therwp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1287)

hatrickpatrick 9th June 2006 07:58 PM

I have an n64 and an ARPro, but the problem is that if you take out a game while the n64 is one, and hot swap, it may, indeed work. However, if you try to take out a game while the ARP is on, the AR itself will crash, which is no use >_<

ARs require keycodes and must be on codes, and BT/BK have different keycodes. So using the actual AR is, unfortunately, out the window.

thatguyjr 9th June 2006 08:01 PM

Too bad there isn't a way to emulate a hot swap. :-(

mikesgm6 9th June 2006 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatrickpatrick
It'd be cool if they were the same, but unfortunately NTSC codes just won't work on a PAL n64 >_<

Either I didn't writeit corrrectly or you didn't read it correctly...
I meant we should all use the ntsc rom insead of PAL O.o

Ice Lightning 9th June 2006 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikesgm6

But if hatrick for example is hacking on an actual cartridge then it would have to be done in PAL due to him living in Ireland.

Anyway it just makes it a lot easier if you find the same code for each version at the same time rather than getting really far into hacking the NTSC rom and then after it's finished go back and do the whole of the PAL version.

hatrickpatrick 9th June 2006 08:50 PM

Quote:

Ah, well that would, indeed, be brilliant, but hacking roms is a complete and utter nightmare, unless you can use nemu64 and it doesn't seem to agree with my PC...

Found a few more cutscene digits which I'll post later on...

Campusanis 9th June 2006 10:11 PM

I don't want to break up the really interesting conversation, but just to get this straight for once. "Hacking" means observing certain addresses in certain situations (I hate it when I sound so stupid, but I can't help it)?

hatrickpatrick 10th June 2006 12:13 AM

Found some more digits:
MMM Cellar
01: All barrels open, banjo disappeared, everything slo motion. XBarrel open but not active (It's open but all you can see it blackness)
02 & 03: Same as above.

DemyGod 10th June 2006 12:16 AM

Lmao Wow we really found out ALOT of codes.

hatrickpatrick 10th June 2006 12:34 AM

"Hacking" basically means anything which involves manipulating the game's memory... Can be anything from finding a quantity code for extra lives to finding activators and so on (like we are now).

slaphappy 10th June 2006 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatrickpatrick
everything slo motion

That seems to happen a lot with the activator. Like it's continually calling some function instead of calling it just once. In MM the jiggy cutscene goes in slow motion for about 1/3 of the time, and then runs at normal speed. Very odd, but it must be happening for a reason. Again, there's more to this than just the activator we have.

hatrickpatrick 10th June 2006 08:46 AM

There must be another address controlling the speed, then, I'll have a look latet in but that one could take a while to find...
Of course, it could just be that the game is lagging for some reason as well, although that's fairly unlikely, BK rarely lags atr all. I'll look into it later...

DemyGod 10th June 2006 05:28 PM

Whouldn't it be lagging because your making the game do stuff it's not suppose to do. Like turning cut-scenes in slow motion.

hatrickpatrick 10th June 2006 06:21 PM

Well I suppose that COULD be the reason, but I can safely tell you that since I started hacking I've been making BK do a LOT of things it isn't supposed to, this is the first time I've seen the slow motion

pokemaster252 11th June 2006 02:07 AM

HEY GUYZ WATS GOIN ON IN DIS TOPIK? :) :) :)

Heh, just kidding, I'm not that type of person.

Hello everyone. I just got through reading the whole topic! It was a tedious, yet fun and interesting, task. Strange, I know. Just like me.

Anyway, if I can be of any help, please, by all means, ask. I've been working on getting more familiar with the Gameshark (I have it along with my launch N64 and games, including BK and BT), and I'm making... satisfactory progress on the ROMs. You see, I'm mainly a Genesis and SNES hacker, with more experience in the former. So while I do understand all the talk about bits, bytes, hex, and all the other universal game hacking vocabulary, I have a rather minimal understanding of the N64 scene. But like I said before, I'd be happy to work in both the game itself and in memory and hex editors. It'd be a suspenseful, as well as educational, experience.

But getting out of the more technical mumbo jumbo (no pun intended), I have a theory (well, two) as to how SNS was going to work. It was mentioned before, but I thought I'd bring it up again. Perhaps Tooie's abilities would be used to open BK's secret areas. For example, using grenade eggs to destroy the X barrel in MMM; using Mumbo's magic to make Sharkfood Isle rise.

That was my more realistic theory. Here's another that's a bit more outlandish: Bottles' Revenge mode could be the key to opening up something in Tooie (maybe RSA or something else). Reason? You get to control baddies, each with DIFFERENT ABILITIES. Who knows, you might have to pound something with the common green guy's (sorry, forgot the name) pound. Or even the guys with the hammers in Witchyworld. The possibilities are endless. The reason we haven't been finding anything might be because we're limiting ourselves to the bear and bird. I'm probably just blindly speculating right now, but who isn't at this point? It never hurts to lay your thoughts out on the table.

And finally, I'd like to congratulate everyone who's made breakthroughs, big or small, in this topic, especially hatrickpatrick (I think I remember you from GameFAQs) and slaphappy. I hope to make a name for myself too.

And well, that's it. *Runs* *Is sniped*

LaorBR 11th June 2006 02:28 AM

Nice first post. =)
Quote:

Perhaps Tooie's abilities would be used to open BK's secret areas. For example, using grenade eggs to destroy the X barrel in MMM; using Mumbo's magic to make Sharkfood Isle rise.
The problem is, unless the game used some kind of lock-on™ technology, (and this supposition already got denied by Rare) this is impossible.
Because the Banjo-Tooie moves simply don't exist in Kazooie.

"Learning" the moves thru hot swapping is also impossible: a move require many lines of code to work. Ya know, that programers' stuff.
All this code can't be transferred from one game to another, it's way too much data to be stored.
Also, BK gameplay is hard-coded. Just like when you burn a CD you are unable to change its contents forever. You can change how fast Banjo moves, how high he jumps, etc.
But adding/changing/deleting stuff is impossible.

Therefore it's impossible to control mumbo, use grenade eggs, grab to ledges or use any other Tooie skill in Banjo-Kazooie. =(