The Rare Witch Project Forums

The Rare Witch Project Forums (https://www.therwp.com/forums/index.php)
-   Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop (https://www.therwp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   SNS the truly true way. (https://www.therwp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15659)

Coolboyman 25th April 2008 05:51 PM

... anyway, this seems very logical and legit to me. Well done once again. Obviously Stop N Swop wasn't going to be as complicated as everyone thought.

P.S. Love the title. "Truty true" hahaha

ssj 25th April 2008 05:52 PM

yeah that makes sense. good job rune

L-Button 26th April 2008 12:09 AM

Good work :).

What else do I need to say?

Wolfe Logan 26th April 2008 12:15 AM

Congrats, this sounds quite possible. Good job. :cool:

slaphappy 30th December 2008 09:57 PM

I normally wouldn't have bumped this, but Rune put this in an index page.

This is an interesting idea with excellent research and findings. It immediately raised a question in my mind though, one oddity about BK that would tend to favor memory swopping bidirectionally as opposed to a one way swop.

Why does entering a code in BK put the open secret area in all 3 game saves? If the one way swop is as you described, there is no reason to do that. To enter a code, you are already in a specific game save, so just save the info to that specific save.

On the other hand, if the info was transferred via memory that is set in BT, and it was recognized on the start of BK execution, it would make sense to store it in all game saves. There is no way to know which game save the player will select, so it must be exposed in all three, which is what we see was implemented.

Deebs 30th December 2008 11:17 PM

So this is the discovery?

Absolutely awesome work.

Is there any known purpose of the eggs and key in Banjo Kazooie? I mean, what it could have unlocked in the previous game? Or did it load something in Banjo Tooie?

And it just makes you laugh at people who thought Stop 'n' Swop was really complicated ;)

And i also have a pre 1999 Nintendo 64.

I really wish i could wipe the Stop 'n' Swop items off of my Banjo Kazooie cart though.

Solid Snix 30th December 2008 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonBottles (Post 490394)

Not the new one he was teasing about. This is an older discovery.

runehero123 31st December 2008 12:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaphappy
Why does entering a code in BK put the open secret area in all 3 game saves? If the one way swop is as you described, there is no reason to do that. To enter a code, you are already in a specific game save, so just save the info to that specific save.

On the other hand, if the info was transferred via memory that is set in BT, and it was recognized on the start of BK execution, it would make sense to store it in all game saves. There is no way to know which game save the player will select, so it must be exposed in all three, which is what we see was implemented.

Yeah, I've thought about this myself. My guess is that BK wouldn't be able to tell which file you were going to load in BT, so it wouldn't matter which file you unlocked the data in BK.

The prizes in BT would probably be global as well, meaning you could use Dragon Kazooie in every file.

Now, there is a small chance I could be wrong. As I've said in my discovery, it's not possible for BK to read any flag data to BT AFTER the data from EEPROM overwrites the Sandcastle Address. However, there is a slight chance that BK reads the flag data from BT first, writes the data to EEPROM, and then stores the data back to RAM.

<Read Flag Data>
<Save new data to EEPROM>
<Store new SNS data in RAM>

The question is however, where would BK read that flag information from? I've done a break-point read on all the addresses where BK sets flag data for BT to access. However, none of them are read on boot-up.

Now, let's get to Dragons Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonBottles

My new "research" (not a discovery and I don't think I ever claimed it as one :p) has to do with the Mempak. Most of us know that BK and BT both access the MemPak on boot-up.

What I have actually done is to track all activity from Banjo-Kazooie to the Mempak using an input plugin that I modified. Now I could see which Addresses the game was Reading from in the Mempak.

Basically, what I got is that it was checking for Game Note data(a.k.a Game save files)(see attachment below). Why? That's what I'm trying to find out through ASM.

It also seems to do this before reading(SNS) data from the EEPROM. Which makes it a possibility that BK is indeed looking for a file containing SNS data in the Mempak(don't get your hopes up just yet, Goldeneye also accesses the Mempak on boot-up).

The cool thing is, Address 8026CFA8 in the pic below is the address which causes Reads/Writes to the Mempak to occur. Pretty close to the address which loads the SNS data from EEPROM.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...123/SnsAsm.jpg

Look at the data that the registers at those commands are loading:

0xA4800000 = Mempak
0xA4800004 = EEprom

^This is probably going to be difficult trying to figure out what BK wants to load (if anything) from Game Save/Note data in the Mempak. The address where Read/Writes to the Mempak occur in the ASM is a good place for me to start though...

Sorry if some people didn't understand what I just said, it's hacking/programming talk.

Deebs 31st December 2008 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super_Nintendo6 (Post 490417)
Not the new one he was teasing about. This is an older discovery.

Damnit! Stupid bumpers...

...I'm looking at you, slaphappy...

Sorry rune, i got confused with dates ;)

Can't wait for your next discovery. This one is interesting still :)

runehero123 31st December 2008 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonBottles
Can't wait for your next discovery. This one is interesting still

That stuff in my last post about the Mempak is pretty much the research I was talking about.

Deebs 31st December 2008 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runehero123 (Post 490452)
That stuff in my last post about the Mempak is pretty much the research I was talking about.

I know, i was just saying i couldn't wait for the next one ;)

manbearbird 5th January 2009 09:01 PM

bump. please continue!

ttnn123456789 6th January 2009 12:23 AM

you no need to bump the topics

well only two question

1.-this is real or is a joke?

2.-how i know if my N64 is from 1998,1997 or 1996

BanjoLover50 6th January 2009 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttnn123456789 (Post 495338)
you no need to bump the topics

well only two question

1.-this is real or is a joke?

2.-how i know if my N64 is from 1998,1997 or 1996

Lets bash his grammar! Its 'You don't need to bump the topics.' and 'I have two questions 1. Is this real or is it a joke? and 2. How do i know if my N64 is from 1997, 1998, or 1999?'

Anyways, nice job rune! What will you get into next?

harrison09 6th January 2009 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BanjoLover50 (Post 495365)
Lets bash his grammar! Its 'You don't need to bump the topics.' and 'I have two questions 1. Is this real or is it a joke? and 2. How do i know if my N64 is from 1997, 1998, or 1999?'

Anyways, nice job rune! What will you get into next?

:-/ I think the guy might be from a non-English speaking country.