The Rare Witch Project Forums

The Rare Witch Project Forums (https://www.therwp.com/forums/index.php)
-   Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop (https://www.therwp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   ssj's stop n swop daily testing log (https://www.therwp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16478)

ssj 17th May 2008 10:10 PM

ssj's stop n swop daily testing log

Ok heres the deal. Instead of making countless sns threads im going to make this 1 topic and put everything I have found in here. I finally have a copy of Banjo Kazooie, dk64 and an expansion pack which means I dont have to go through the trouble of searching through roms anymore. Im going to do a few hotswapping and coldswapping experiments. This post will proberly be updated on a daily basis. You can even try this stuff out for yourself.

Day 1: Saturday the 17th of May.
A Nintendo 64 cartridge can be pulled out in such a way that the processing unit will freeze the game after a few seconds but at the same time thinks the game is still running.

For example:You can do this with every n64 game but Lets say Im in Banjo Kazooie and Im on The stop n swop menu. I Gently pull out the cartridge on the LEFT hand side by a mere fraction. If done correctly the sound will go all fuzzy but the game itself still runs. Lets say I wanted to go back to the main game. I press start or B and the game freezes. However the Nintendo 64 console still thinks the game is running, why? Because the RESET button works. If you just force the cartridge out quickly the game will just freeze, you cant reset the game and you get NO sound

Katie 17th May 2008 10:13 PM

Cool. :cool:

Chaos447 18th May 2008 01:06 AM

It's not going to work.

Nintendo pulled the plug on Stop 'N' Swop after B-K was released, or atleast when it was in development. There was no point in making a trigger for DK64 that would've worked normally without another device that nobody but Rare has.

runehero123 18th May 2008 03:16 AM

Stop N Swop is cold-swap, for the last time. :facepalm

ssj 18th May 2008 01:04 PM

I May have genualy found something today but I need to do another 7 tests first to confirm it. Watch this space

so far so good

BanjoPL 18th May 2008 01:11 PM

Hej ssj can you test this:

1.Type sandcastle codes ONLY for Red Egg and Yellow Egg.
2.Collect Red Egg and Yellow Egg.
3.Switch off N64 and insert BT.
4.See if something changed in BT...

ssj 18th May 2008 01:14 PM

sorry I dont have bt yet. Just bk an d dk64

the tests prove successful, just a couplle more now

BanjoPL 18th May 2008 01:16 PM

Ok.i will wait for this BK-DK64 stuff.

ssj 18th May 2008 01:28 PM

This could well be a glitch, but its just too concidental to be a glitch. This requires no gameshark, no hacking tools. It can be done manualy on Any Banjo Kazooie and n64 (At least in europe)

1. Load up Banjo Kazooie
2. In grunty's lair Go onto the stop n swop menu
3. Gently lift the cartridge on the LEFT hand side until you get a buzzing sound
4. Press start
5. Your back in the main game, If you press the A button the game freezes

Why is this strange? ALL of the other menus ( Yes ive tested EVERY one) DO NOT go back to the main game.

again it could be aa glitch

BanjoPL 18th May 2008 01:30 PM

You shouldn't touch N64 cart.After this N64 game ALWAYS FREEZE.
This has nothing to with SNS.

TEST:
1.Play any N64 game.
2.touch cart on left side.
3.The game FREEZE

ssj 18th May 2008 01:33 PM

Read My First post.

Also I did say it could well be a glitch, on the other hand it could be the starting point of how the flags were registered on the console

what im basically saying is that the stop n swop menu is acting differently to the other menus

and you can walk around in the lair still unlike with the other menus ( for a moment)

BanjoPL 18th May 2008 01:35 PM

Hmm now i understand :P
But how test if this is glitch or reading flags?

I will test this Banjo-Kazooie stuff with Banjo-Tooie!

ssj 18th May 2008 01:50 PM

I dont know

the next stage is to try and manipulate the ice key into the console via this method and hot/ coldswapping so it will dissapear from the menu

BanjoPL 18th May 2008 01:52 PM

Good luck ssj :D
I will test some ideas with Banjo-Tooie.

RFR 18th May 2008 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssj (Post 329135)
sorry I dont have bt yet. Just bk an d dk64

the tests prove successful, just a couplle more now

hmm...you don't have bt?
if you have a play n trade near where you live you should be able to get it for like $15