The Rare Witch Project Forums

The Rare Witch Project Forums (https://www.therwp.com/forums/index.php)
-   Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop (https://www.therwp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   SNS update: I think I know which 4 of the 6 eggs we are supposed to get (https://www.therwp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1287)

hatrickpatrick 22nd August 2005 12:12 PM

Quote:

But this just confirms that the development of Banjo-Tooie was altered due to the fact that the hackers of the world (whether it was Sub or Ice, I dunno) got the items.
Could u explain that plz, I dont get what ur saying...
IMO, nothing in BK proves that BT's development was altered.

Hacking that code is fairly simple: you do a 16-bit unknown value search, then a few equal tos, then get the key and do a different to, then a few more equal, and repeat for wach of the eggs. Most likely, this will find the quantity code, with few other possibilities.

Thats how they were collected before, not using the Sandcastle codes. The sandcastle ones were hacked after BT's release in the US, but before it's release in the UK.

Benjo Koolzooie 22nd August 2005 04:19 PM

He means that Rare became aware of people acquiring these items, therefore, mucking up the idea of SNS bascially, therefore Rare coulld have altered (ie: stopped going ahead with SNS).

micjohvan 22nd August 2005 06:13 PM

I can confirm that the X in the captains cabin DOES change color on getting the pink egg. I looked at it before and after on my actual cart and its red if you dont have it and black if you do. :D

zxzxi 23rd August 2005 01:05 AM

Well at least SOMETHING changes when you get an/the egg.

hatrickpatrick 23rd August 2005 10:56 AM

Here's an interesting thought: If the captains cabin changes after you get the egg, there are 2 theories we could derive from that, assuming our theory of 4 eggs is correct:
1: We need to get the pink and red eggs as part of the 4
2: We would, presumably, need to get the pink first, then get the red. Does anything change after the red has been collected, in any of the other rooms?

Klungo 23rd August 2005 02:49 PM

I'm not sure. But something does change when you use the code and not collect it. In Bottle's Puzzle Minigame the egg shows itself on the third level. Do other rooms with eggs show?

Kratos_Aurion 23rd August 2005 05:02 PM

Or, perhaps, since there are only 2 that change as far as we know, those are the two that are fake, and the others are real.

Benjo Koolzooie 23rd August 2005 05:11 PM

But the pink egg is shown in a movie clip at the end of the game, and also that egg features in BK.

Kratos_Aurion 23rd August 2005 05:20 PM

That's what I've been thinking too, that they wouldn't show it if we didn't need it. But, they also may have shown the ones that we wondered about the most (Sharkfood Island and Gobi's Door always really bothered me, and the Ice Key is in a fully visible place). And of course, this is Rare we're talking about. They may have put one of the fakes in the place you would look first, and show it in the end video just to throw us off.

Benjo Koolzooie 23rd August 2005 05:28 PM

I remember my first ever play through of BK. And I always thought something was odd about Sharkfood Gobi door. The ice key I assumed would be collected later in the game for something.

hatrickpatrick 23rd August 2005 05:54 PM

Quote:

Or, perhaps, since there are only 2 that change as far as we know, those are the two that are fake, and the others are real.
I dont think the bottles puzzle one counts, since the puzzles aren't actually cutscenes, but level demos, IE: it warps banjo to the actual level, then puts him on one of the demo control automations. You can test that with a variety of codes: The simplest one is that if you moonjump during the puzzle game, Banjo will moonjump in the picture.
Here's an idea for a combination:
The Pink egg is in the map and the colour changes, so presumably, that is one of the required eggs
The Red egg is in the room with the map, so, it could well be one of the required.
The blue egg is in the end cutscene, which may or may not be relevant to whether it's also required, but since the Pink is also in the end cutscene and causes a change, we can probably take it that the blue is also a correct egg/

That leaves one more possible egg. I myself would go for either yellow or cyan. Cyan, because it has it's own section, and yellow because it features in BT.
Of course, maybe that's designed to throw us off, and the fact that yellow is in BT means we DONT have to collect it?
I have to go out tonight but I'll be able to test some of those combinations on PJ64 tomorrow, we'll see if it helps at all...

PS: Sorry about the delay in releasing the demo control codes, I've been really busy over the summer, but with a bit of luck I'll be able to finally finish my digits list. It's like Conker's memory, the digits can be unpredictable, but I should be able to make a fairly accurate guide to using them in a few days.

tellyjelly 23rd August 2005 06:45 PM

hatrickpatrick, am i right in thinking you are trying to find a cutscene mod? i seriously think that such a thing is our only real way of finding any additional solid information about sns.

that, and a disassembly of the bk map format.

i think this is possible because of this particularly impressive discovery....

http://board.acmlm.org/thread.php?id=12971

edit - if you cant be bothered reaeding through that topic, basically someone worked out how to extract the level data from super mario 64 and they have also figured out the format, so they know everything about the map, including areas that cant be viewed in-game.

vaticandrummer 24th August 2005 02:34 AM

That's awesome.

Damn, think of what that could do for SNS if we had that; for example, wouldn't that solve the entire "black area behind FP" situation? I still hope that there is a connection between FP and FF, but it's doubtful.

dmoss 24th August 2005 04:43 AM

So, earlier today, I read through the FP "Black Matter" stuff. Am I wrong, or is that just the backgound pattern? Wouldn't that just show up, from flying too high for the game to read the ground correctly from up there? Personally, I think it was full of good intention, but probably isn't going to lead us anywhere before...Not saying it couldn't happen. I'm just saying that to me, it sounds improbable. Stranger things have happened, though! :)

Sounded kind of cool about the sliding glass/breaking glass debate, though. There is something to that, I bet....never know until you try.

I think that you guys are awesome! Very dedicated individuals...(I'm back, now!) Good luck, and thank you for your hard work. It is well appreciated.

Benjo Koolzooie 24th August 2005 09:35 AM

Yeah, the black pattern is interesting, but I doubt it is going to lead us any major secret. Still, it could reveal some interesting game info if looked in to.

Yeah, the sliding glass is very interesting, and a new "insight" to how SNS may have worked/how the item areas where opened up. There has to be some "trigger" somewhere to set it open? Unless this information was to be in BT and transitioned over. But I am not fully "In the know" about game information being put in to another. Perhaps someone could explain it?

Dmoss, I am sure everyone will be pleased to see you are appreciating. You are sticking around? If so - good. :)