View Single Post
Old 18th January 2020, 03:00 PM
Formerly Super_Nintendo6

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 INFECTED - B1K1 
Tokyo Mirage Sessions is fun, but I'd like to see more elements from Fire Emblem applied to a JRPG.

TMS is pretty close to a lighter version of Persona, which is a lighter version of Shin Megami Tensei. You hit weaknesses, win fight. In TMS, you forge weapons which then unlock skills that you equip.

Fire Emblem is all about promoting your units to different classes and making a team. Different classes unlock different skills, and you can equip five skills at a time. It's like a standard job system.

Eventually in TMS, you characters' Mirages -- which are, well, Personas -- can promote to one of two classes. Outside of that, there isn't really a job system or anything in the game. And like Persona, your main characters more or less do different flavors of the same thing.

I would have liked to see a job system implemented in TMS that drastically changes the roll each character plays in the party. I like a good weakness system as much as the next guy, but I feel like those are kind of cheap and easy. It's much more interesting to build your RPG with a stronger focus on team composition and build-crafting, at least in my opinion.

I would have also liked to have seen some of those skills from Fire Emblem applied to this format of combat. Skills like vantage, which is a counter that activates when your health goes below a certain threshold. Or Astra, which triggers four consecutive attacks at reduced damage. Astra goes great with skills that increase your critical rate or have a chance of repeating your last attack.

Last edited by Solid Snix; 18th January 2020 at 03:03 PM.