View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2009, 11:33 PM
DJ Jamjars

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
As a matter of fact, I posted this in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runehero
Actually, I was messing around with the ASM routine that displays the items in the totals menu.

There are two loops. A loop that checks the amount of each item in the totals menu. If > 0 it will create a slot in the totals menu for that item. The next loop also checks the item amount and if it's > 0 it will load the image for that item and the text into the proper slot.

However, it clearly only checks up to the 8th item in the totals menu (blueprints). Since the ice-key is the 9th item in the totals menu, it's not possible that the ice-key will load into the totals menu using this routine.

It makes sense too seeing as it shouldn't matter how many ice-key's you've collected (since only 1), but if you've activated some sort of trigger, or flag. I've forced the script to also load the 9th item, but it loads without a picture(probably because the script doesn't know which image to load?).
This basically confirms that the ice-key isn't loaded within the same code-loop as the other items in the totals menu. Which makes sense, seeing as that code loads them only if the amount collected is > 0.

This doesn't rule out the possibility of there being code left in the game for activating the ice-key. Though I'm starting to think it's unlikely. However, I'm going to assume that once the ice-key was activated in DK64, it would be saved into EEPROM in an area that could be accessed by all game save files.

So, if you think about it, that's the best place to start searching for any activation code. I'm sure if Dk64 checked for flag data from BK on boot-up, and the ice-key was collected, it would store information to EEPROM for later access.

Example:

-On Boot-Up, search for flag data stored in RAM by BK.
-If found, save data to eeprom indicating that ice-key has been "transferred" from BK.
-When loading Totals menu, check EEPROM for ice-key variable, if collected, display ice-key in totals menu.

[Edit]
It could also just check EEPROM for the "ice-key activator" variable on boot-up as well, and store that to a variable in RAM that is checked for when the totals menu is loading.
[/Edit]

Therefore, I'll probably do some close examination of eeprom, and see if there is any data that DK64 is checking for, that isn't already used in-game.

Last edited by runehero123; 2nd May 2009 at 11:36 PM.