View Single Post
Old 1st September 2007, 10:41 PM
Jinjo

One large master texture is a fairly common occurance, not just in N64 games but in general. Depends on what the developer prefers, I suppose. The N64 Custom Robo games do that as well, and surprisingly use a very similar model block structure. Different, but the concept is the same. You'll probably find out the same or similar dev enviroment was being used, or some such nonsense.

Those models are undoubtedly used only for debug purposes, but probably were intended to be toggled in-game by the dev tools. Why on hardware? Quite honestly, the N64's dedicated hardware is just a whole lot faster at rendering this stuff, and they'd want to know exactly where this stuff was and where they are moving it to.
This isn't the only game to use them. There are a few obscure japanese carts that have similar stuff, and if I remember correctly so did mission impossible.
In fact, I'd go so far as to say there is probably a toggle someplace that will make the 'debug' objects visible. Why? Rare's keyboards were so caked with spilt coffee they couldn't use the delete keys any longer. Besides, it would likely be easier to just leave most of the handles in the game than try to backtrack and erase it all. GE's a pretty good case. There are toggles to deactivate pretty much everything, including inhibiting objects from loading. Just found that one a few days ago. Not make them invisible, mind you - just not load them...

So, hackers, try and find the toggle.

Neat object, by the way. The GE editor could use it ;*)