View Single Post
Old 12th April 2016, 03:44 AM
Lord of Games

Total Awards: 2
Game On INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Colberto View Post
Okay, there are a few major flaws in the line of thinking that says Nintendo is creatively limited and will possibly not tell as interesting stories with a cover-all, gender-neutral script. First, all art, all stories, are "creatively limited." Second, it could just as easily go in the other direction. New possibilities for interesting writing could open up as a result of a gender neutral script. There's no reason why that couldn't be the case. Like holy crap, people are really reaching to have severe imaginary hang-ups over an issue concerning a rumor for a game that we know almost nothing about.
I really don't see what you're not getting. This creative freedom is largely what has let Zeldas stories, while usually simple, be memorable and interesting. I care a lot more about Link in the likes of Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess than I do the ones where he's given basically no personality in games such as Phantom Hourglass, A Link to the Past, the NES games, and Triforce Heroes. And this is largely due to the amount of personality he has and the amount of interaction with other characters. If we can safely assume this game will be structured in a similar manner to past Zeldas (not unreasonable since the structure usually remains the same), I'd rather not see pointless limitations being added to the character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
I don't understand this line of thought at all. Nintendo hasn't shown us anything about the game yet. (And no, the E3 "trailers" don't count, just look at the first Banjo NaB footage before the game came out.) There are countless games that provide a gender choice to the player that is interchangeable, with the story still having meaning. (See Mass Effect.) Wait until we at least have a real trailer before you write them off.

I also don't see anything about Link's character that requires Link to be male either. Again, I haven't played most of the 3D Zeldas, but is Link going around laying pipe in some game that I haven't noticed? If it matters that much to you, just pick the male option and call him Link. That way if the story is the same, your experience literally is what you want it to.
I don't see how Mass Effect is relevant when it's a game where the main character is fully characterized (usually by player input) and has full lines of dialogue. It's a far cry from Zelda. A more suitable comparison would be something like Chrono Trigger or Half Life, both of which I'd argue against the option for the exact same reason as here.

Your second paragraph is either ignoring or misinterpreting everything I've just said. I don't care if there's a female Link, I'd just rather have the writers pick a gender and stick to it than try and juggle two different genders in a single story that's ultimately written for neither.

Last edited by Dylan Yoshi; 12th April 2016 at 03:55 AM.