View Single Post
Old 31st March 2007, 08:29 AM
McLovin

Total Awards: 3
INFECTED - B1K1 Awesome Default Medal Random Award 
Donkey 64 Kiosk - ROM Extractions

I've been examining the DK64 Kiosk ROM. Why? This is the only known beta release of any of the three titans involved in this Stop N Swop Deal:BK, BT, and DK. A long time ago I tried modifying the warp modifier to load all the levels, and only the 3 included on the kiosk demo work, the rest crashed. So game over right?

Well, looking back on it much later, I've realized that actually this ROM is BIG (0x1800000). DK64 is 0x2000000. No way the demo uses all that. There must be lots of goodies on here, I hope!

I've extracted the entirety of BK, BT, DK64, and now DK64 Kiosk, and will likely post them sometime soon for everyone to peruse. These "rips" have all of the text in the game, so if the text is in the game (even if unused), it'll be in one of these files. It is HIGHLY unlikely that any text would be fixed in assembly and not in one of these files.

To start, I examined the text. There sadly is very little text in the ROM, but what's there is beta and interesting. The Bond quote I know is not in the release version. As far as I know, this is the only text in the Kiosk ROM besides the DK rap. Which is a bit sad, but it's possible it just simply wasn't incorporated into the game at this point in development.

There are a ton of images I'm seeing in here (just knowing from the hex). If I can find the image table, it may be possible to extract and see what we've got. It'll likely be similar to the release, except that there may be less images. Generally images are finished first in a game, even before models are, so likely the ROM is mostly full of this.

So anyone interested in the text? Comments?

THESE PESKY TOMATOES ARE DRIVING ME NUTS!I'D EVEN GIVE AWAY MY PRECIOUS GOLDEN BANANA TO GET MOVED AWAY FROM HERE!CAREFUL NOW, CHUNKY! I DON'T WANT ANY BRUISING!NO NO NO! THIS WILL NOT DO! YOU BIG OAF!HEY! THIS IS COOL! I COULD LIKE LIVING HERE!WHAT'S THAT ABOUT BANANAS? OH, HAVE THIS THEN!

W-W-W-WHAT'S THAT RACKET?!NOW THAT I'M AWAKE, COME BACK WHEN YOU TOO CAN FLY!FOLLOW ME AROUND THE TREE, FLYING THROUGH THE RINGSSURVIVE THE COURSE TO WIN A PRIZE, YADAYADA WINGSYOU DON'T DESERVE ANY REWARDS FOR FLYING LIKE THAT!I WAS DISTRACTED BY MORE IMPORTANT MATTERS!BUT FAIR'S FAIR - HERE'S A REWARD!

HEY ~, YOU LOOK UP FOR A CHALLENGE! FIRST AROUND THE TREE COURSE AND BACK HERE WINS!HEY ~, BEAT ME AGAIN AND I'LL REWARD YOU!PHEW! BUT I WASN'T REALLY TRYING! COME BACK LATER FOR A SERIOUS CHALLENGE!PHEW! YOU SURE ARE A FAST MONKEY! YOU'VE EARNED THIS!YOU'LL NEVER DEFEAT ME IF YOU RUN LIKE THAT! TRY AGAIN LATER!

YOU NEED TO SPEAK TO CRANKY BEFORE YOU CAN USE THIS PAD. FOLLOW THE CAVE SYSTEM THROUGH THE MOUNTAIN TO FIND HIS LABPRESSTO TRANSPORT YOURSELF TO K.ROOLS BATTLE ARENA. BEAT HIS GUARDS TO WIN A CROWNFIND THE OTHER PAD WITH THE SAME NUMBER ON IT TO BANANA PORT BETWEEN THE TWO. PRESSTO ACTIVATE THE BANANA PORTTO OPEN THE GATE, TRY CLIMBING THE FIRST TREE AND USE THE HOVER VINES TO REACH THE GATE SWITCHDK, GATHER AS MANY BANANAS AS YOU CAN AND THEN FIND YOUR EXIT DOOR. TROFF 'N' SCOFF ARE WAITING TO GREET YOU THERELANKY, THE WOODEN PEGS IN THE GROUND BESIDE THE PICTURE LOOK A LITTLE LOOSEHELLO ~, WELCOME TO OUR CAVE.WE CAN HELP YOU REACH THE BIG KEY BEHIND THIS DOOR.BUT FIRST YOU MUST FEED US. STAND ON THE BANANA PAD IF YOU ARE HOLDING ANY BANANAS AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.IF YOU'VE COLLECTED ENOUGH WE MAY BE ABLE TO OPEN THIS DOOR FOR YOU. IF YOU NEED TO COLLECT SOME MORE THEN GO OUT THE LEVEL DOORIF YOU WANT TO EXIT THIS LEVEL THEN GO THROUGH THE EXIT DOORMAYBE CRANKY HELP DIDDY REACH MINECART?