View Single Post
Old 24th April 2009, 08:57 PM
DJ Jamjars

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
More DK64 Beta Stuff

I managed to locate a few more beta items in the kiosk version of DK64. Most of these are freeze digits in the final version. First, allow me to point out the most important objects in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDPo0gVClbk

1:27 - This appears to be a tree stump(located in fungi forest obv) with doors containing all the kong faces on it.
1:40 - Giraffe head. Not sure where this would have been used. Probably angry aztec or fungi forest. I'm guessing it would be a target that you'd have to shoot at.

1:54 - Appears to be a switch with a picture of DK on it.

2:03 - I'm pretty sure I've loaded this up as part of a cut-scene before. It may be a beta area in frantic factory.

3:02 - I remember there was a beanstalk with a face. But this doesn't appear to have one.

3:20 - This is very interesting. In the final version of the rom, this object is a big picture of DK Isles. However, in the kiosk version, it's a picture of some giraffes. Maybe it was used in the same room those giraffe heads would be located.

3:26 - And here we have a beta picture of the DK Isles from Donkey Kong Country. Was this the original plan for DK Isles in DK64?

Now, we aren't done yet. I've also located the map setup files in the DK64 kiosk rom, and noticed that there's alot less data in some of the maps (indicating they were still in the early stages of production).

Here are all the objects in the "Outside DK's House" area:

2 - 0x006C Palm tree objects
1 - 0x006E Palm tree object
1 - 0x006D Palm tree object
4 - 0x0020 Non-Climbable Palm tree objects
18 - 0x000D Yellow banana(2D) objects
1 - 0x0094 Green Donkey Switch Object
1 - 0x0084 Bamboo Gate
5 - 0x0011 objects (helicopter vines)

As you can see, Cranky's lab is missing, and more importantly, why are there yellow bananas scattered about the map? For the main DK Isles area, the only object is the big Kremling Isle.

All the object placement files for level lobbys are NULL which means they either removed the data for those areas or just never got around to adding anything in them yet.

It's also interesting to note that the Level entrance doors and Troff N Scoff door doesn't exist in the kiosk version of the rom. In the Troff N Scoff area there are 2 wooden doors. One which leads back to the level, and one that leads back to DK Isles.

Anyways, if you want to theorize about some of this stuff. Go ahead. I'll update this when I discover the enemy placement files.

Last edited by runehero123; 24th April 2009 at 09:01 PM.