View Single Post
Old 4th May 2009, 10:02 PM
DJ Jamjars

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo-Korenzooie
I'm confused on a few timelines..

First off, the N64 was released, what, two years after Banjo-Kazooie came out (Long after the Nintendo 64's extra memory was dropped)? And Stop 'N' Swop was still kept in the finalized version of Banjo-Kazooie.
Wha...??? I don't know where you got that. The extra memory, we would call the expansion pak, which wasn't dropped at all. What you're probably trying to say is that they replaced the original RDRAM (shipped with the first N64 consoles) with the concurrent RDRAM. These only held data for a second or two after the console was powered off, while the original retained data for at least ten seconds. This is why it became impossible to "SWOP" the games in that short amount of time.

They(Nintendo, Rambus) didn't replace the original RDRAM until sometime during BT's developement. This is why SNS was dropped in BT and remains completely in BK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo-Korenzooie
So if the 64's extra memory got canned far before SnS was officially shown in the finalized version of Banjo-Kazooie, even if it was originally planned to be used for SnS early on, isn't it more realistic that Donkey Kong 64's expansion pak was used for swapping (especially since that's the game that was found with a fragment of SnS in it and the one that needed the expansion pak)?
Part in bold has been explained, and is false. Also, who's to say that DK64 was using the expansion pak early on(when tested with BK)? Especially if they were running on the same/similar engines (although I haven't seen any proof of this.).

Last edited by runehero123; 4th May 2009 at 10:04 PM.