View Single Post
Old 24th November 2010, 09:19 PM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 1
You're Appreciated! 
HEY GUYS! DID YA MISS ME!?

So yeah, my friend came over and we played DKCR Co-op from 4 pm to 3 am. It was a masterpiece.
Spoiler: (highlight to view)
We have a lot of free time.
Here are my thoughts:

Graphics

Excellent. The use of background/foreground for finding secrets and solving puzzles was very well done. The graphics were vary bright and colorful, very much like something Rare would make. Not to mention all the easter eggs and Rare references!

Music/Sound

I was slightly disappointed with the music. Almost all of the music were remixes of the previous songs. I was sick to death after hearing "Jungle Hijinx" for the hundreth time. The sounds on the other hand were great. The sound of Banana Coins were music to my ears! (Well, not really, but still.)

Controls

The controls could've been better, but they're still passible. The only problem is Ground Pounding/Rolling/Blowing. Did all three of really have to use the motion controls? We have (B) and (A) buttons right there, so why couldn't have used those instead? (I hold the Wiimote sideways.)

(B) could be Roll since it's right underneath the D-Pad and (A) could be Blow since you don't use it very often. Simple!

Other

Co-op is amazing. It's extremely similar to Mario Bros. Wii, which I like, but there's no counter Co-op. I'm no fan of counter Co-op, but I'm sure many fans of Mario/DKC are.

Extras, extras extras! All games need extra content like this, heck Epic Mickey has a second disc full of 'em! I hate finding loads of neat stuff that I can only find on the Internet. (On top of that, some people cannot access the Internet.) Still, I'm a fan of artwork/concept art/renders. I love looking at them! Sound Test is also a nice feature.

Overall

It's old and new at the same time, familiar yet strange. Retro took a classic franchise and gave it a fresh reboot and giving the fans exactly what they want; old school platforming, animal buddies, hidden secrets and difficult, frusterating levels.

9/10

- 1/2 for odd controls
- 1/2 for repetive music