View Single Post
Old 15th March 2010, 10:47 PM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 2
Game On Rarity 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattress87 View Post
The lack of any equivalent sprites of the green, yellow, and rainbow balloons with presents seems to imply that there were only missile and boost balloons at that point in development.

2D image value 0x0058 is a beta character icon set. Each frame is a different character's picture. The following links are rips of these icons.

Krunch/Krash
Bumper
Tiptup
Conker (placeholder text)
Timber (placeholder text)
Banjo (placeholder text)
Drumstick
Pipsy

Note even the absence of placeholder images for T.T. and Diddy, which means these icons are from the ProAM64 days. The same can be said about the balloons that Runehero found with the faces on them.

I also noticed one anomaly with the character select music when doing a cheat search for the RAM address that controls the active music channels.

Here's the code, along with the values each character uses in the character select screen:
Code:
811114E0 ???? Active Music Channel Modifier(global)

001F Diddy
002F T.T.
010F Timber
020F Tiptup
040F Conker
080F Banjo
108F Bumper
200F Drumstick
400F Pipsy
800F Krunch
Anyway, I noticed that in the character select screen, every bit is used but 0040, which corresponds to the 6th channel. Following the pattern that the others use, I set the value to 004F, and this was the result:

Link: charselect_unused.mp3 (0.99 MB)

Hmmm...could it be that Taj was planned as playable character at one point, just as he ended up in the DS remake? It seems likely...

Play around with this code, you might find unused channels in other songs as well.
That's awesome. I wonder if there's any others.