View Single Post
Old 8th August 2006, 01:36 AM
Jinjo

SO guys, i'm done checking tooie. At least for Stop n Swop. I've done alot of thinking, and came up with something.

What if Rare isnt saying anything about Stop N Swop because they, technically, can't?

Now, let's put ourselves in Rare's position for a sec. Alot of companies (believe me, this is first hand experience) will say one thing at first (usually because it sounds like a good idea for money) and then do another later.

So, rare comes up with the idea. Stop n Swop. Wow, what a great idea! Swapping games between Tooie and Kazooie to gain access to secret items in Kazooie, that, in Tooie, unlock different things. (multiplayer cheats, Bottles' Revenge, use your imagination here, but don't go too far.)

Sounds like an awesome plan, right? SO they make Kazooie. They put the items in, and make Kazooie the recieving party. Now, there are certain things that can happen, where Tooie communicates with Kazooie (probably via the 30 second memory retention, in the Nintendo 64s of old.) and the data that touches Kazooie unlocks the ice key room. Pretty sweet.

however, it involves hot swapping. Now, this is dangerous for the system, yes. No doubt about that. But also, it's dangerous to nintendo, because while we're lookin at these two games and their interaction, we're basically forgetting one thing; for this to work, the N64 needs to leave itself "open" while you hotswap, possible for upwards to half a minute.

Whats wrong with this? Let me tell you! Nintendo has patents to the N64 hardware. They dont have to reveal anything about whats going on in those glorious little chips inside of it. But, with the hot swapping idea, the console is left semi powered while no cartridge is inserted, allowing even a novice hacker to its secrets.

So why is Stop N Swop a failure? Because nintendo has patents to protect. Even now, if rare says anything, they could potentially be leading people to hacking the N64 hardware.

Bound by law, all rare can do is twist in the wind, and make it into their advantage. They completely remake tooie, taking out the activator and everything. The N64s were redesigned to further make sure that no one could get in there, by shortening the "semi powered" time from 30 seconds to 2 seconds.

So, I'm directing all attention towards Kazooie. Because more than likely, its the only game with activators left. Although, the RSA and Tower Room of Tooie still call to me, whether or not they pertain to SnS is beyond me.

*whew* going to get some nachos. Peace.