View Single Post
Old 19th July 2022, 02:11 PM
Glowbo

I don't think the Japanese guide hints at the compromise that Nintendo suggested to Rare, I think the Japanese guide at one point (like the European and American guides) featured the secret chamber, and any secret items documented up until the point where they removed Stop 'N' Swop.
As soon as word from Rare disseminated that they were going to remove the secret chamber, the magazine editors got to work:

- Nintendo of America edited their Crystal Caves map to remove the item, and the area itself. They would have removed any and all text relating to the secret chamber. A totally effective removal.

- Nintendo of Europe edited their Crystal Caves map to remove the item, but not the area itself, which is why the German guide still features the secret chamber. They also removed all text relating to the secret chamber. A partially effective removal.

- Nintendo of Japan edited their Crystal Caves map to remove the item, but like Nintendo of Europe, did not remove the area itself, which is why we have a 3D render of the area in question. In addition to this, Nintendo of Japan kept the informational panel as well as the text (why allude to this pointless area otherwise, right?), but altered the screenshot that would show the secret chamber in-game. A limited removal.

The Japanese guide is the least edited of the three versions above, and gives us the most insight into what the area was planned to house.
Personally, I don't think the Ice Key would have been hidden inside of this chamber; I think that the wall of the chamber would have showcased a Keyhole, just as it's described in the Stop 'N' Swop patent, and players that returned here with the Ice Key would be able to progress.
So, what item could be found in the secret chamber? That's the question, isn't it?...