View Single Post
Old 7th January 2016, 09:12 PM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 Grey Note Medal 
I always hold both titles to equal importance and quality. Mario 64, being essentially the granddaddy of the 3D platforming genre in its entirety, definitely had more flexibility and player involvement when it came to its control scheme compared to Banjo, and there's the fact that Banjo would have likely just been an isometric linear platformer if Mario 64 hadn't come out and revolutionized the industry. It made the Banjo-Kazooie series we know and love today possible, and that's a small fraction of what makes it such a historically-important game in the first place.

With that said, Banjo-Kazooie did a lot more with not just graphics but world-building, character development and story elements, and overall was just more baroque than anything that anyone had ever seen at the time, including Mario 64. That's not to say Mario 64 lacked in world-building, it most certainly didn't - it was just one of the earliest games to come out on the console and consequentially had more focus put into the fast-paced gameplay while sacrificing a bit of world cohesion and design. The thing that really sets BK apart from Mario 64 and makes it fantastic all its own is the fact that every creature you encounter or every platform you jump on makes sense and fits an overarching theme moreso than the hobbled-together floating platforms in the sky that you see in SM64.

So when someone comes up to me and asks me to choose between the two, I just can't. I think they have their own incredible contributions to the era and to gaming in general, despite Super Mario 64 has the advantage of being the pioneer and having more historical significance over BK.