View Single Post
Old 28th September 2015, 05:58 AM
Fired

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B2K1 
Ah. No, you're right, that is what they do. They've never been actually sexist, they're just really bad at being gender equal. They play to stereotypes.

And don't get me wrong. There are a TON of don't-need-no-man characters in the games. Seriously. They're really good about that. It's just that they are also simultaneously not so good at it. For every female character that defiantly subverts gender roles, of which there are plenty, there are like four that are questionable.

I mean I can't help but notice that Nidoqueen and Latias have the exact same stats as their male counterpart, but with less attack and more defense. And why is that, hmmm? Because ladies are more nurturing? Well, whatever. It's not that big of a deal. But then there's the fact that most Pokémon LOOK male. Blissey and Audino are stereotypes, Lopunny exists, and there's no denying that Flannery and Malva (Malva is like my favorite character in Pokémon by the way,) are supposed to be a pun on "hot girls".

It might just be due to fanservice than anything. (Have you read some of the dialogue in these games? Gamefreak has the occasional Rare-style humor, surprisingly.) And I get that most of the designers etc. are male, but it's just something to think about. They posses both bias and forward-thinking in equal measure.

Last edited by qwertykins76; 28th September 2015 at 06:01 AM.